The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: any1 know much about montero sport's need help asap

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

any1 know much about montero sport's need help asap

so heres the deal i had a bad valve cover gasket on my 00 montero sport xls 2wd 3.0L so i bought new set also sparkplugs and wires...took everything apart and installed the new ...hooked every wire and connection ...started it and it ran ..had it runing for about 5min and turned it off ...double checked everything and looks fine to me ....then went to start it back up and it would just turn over trying to start but wouldnt and kind of cut off at some points...i can take a video of it and post it if needed lmk...also i hooked up scanner and code P0340 comes up =Camshaft Position Sensor A-Bank 1 Circuit Malfunction...so i dont know what to do this is my dailydriver/family ...

88 Mustang SALEEN
    00 ES
    00 GTZ
    00 750il V12
    00 Montero Sport
    02 Lancer OZ

Check the wires for breaks or cuts and connector make sure the pins are making good contactof the camshaft position sensor.

A curcuit malfunction on any sensor will indicate a short/bad contact/disconnected or bad sensor.

And yes such an error from the cam sensor will cause the engine to not start.

Sent from my Rooted Droid X using hacked Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by oakrdrs187; 07-12-2012 at 09:54 AM

Experienced TGC Member 99galantES's Avatar
    Change the camshaft sensor even though its not a Montero I had the same issue once I changed it everything was good its only a few bucks

«Carlos»

update- so i checked all connections..all pluged and the camshaft wire was pinched because when i put the timming belt cover back on i didnt see the there was like a groove/opening it had to go through but insted got pinched in a different spot...corrected that ...but still no deal just keeps tryin to start it kind of did at 1 point but died out in like 4sec....the senser it $50...so what you guys think should i just goahead and change it?

88 Mustang SALEEN
    00 ES
    00 GTZ
    00 750il V12
    00 Montero Sport
    02 Lancer OZ

Yea just change the sensor. Its a good bet hopefully its not completely dead at the sensor head when I did it my cam sensor blade broke mine apart and I had to order a new one so try it.

Quote Originally Posted by bgood12 View Post
    Yea just change the sensor. Its a good bet hopefully its not completely dead at the sensor head when I did it my cam sensor blade broke mine apart and I had to order a new one so try it.
    dammnit it looks like a pain in the ass to do its behind a pulley

88 Mustang SALEEN
    00 ES
    00 GTZ
    00 750il V12
    00 Montero Sport
    02 Lancer OZ

Did you check the wire? There are probably broken strands in the loom I would repair the wire before you go and start throwing parts at it. Believe it or not the timing cover torqued down is strong enough to damage the fine copper in wires making connections bad.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

^ That, Open the wire and fix it.

Ok ill check it out today 1s the Cali heat starts dieing out....BTW THANK YOU ALL FOR HELPING ME OUT I AM VERY THANKFULL

88 Mustang SALEEN
    00 ES
    00 GTZ
    00 750il V12
    00 Montero Sport
    02 Lancer OZ