The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: NS Galant

Showing results 1 to 3 of 3

NS Galant

Hey guys, my name is Scott. This is my first Galant, I bought it for a beater/daily driver and I guess we'll see where it goes.

My daily used to be a 2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart, so I'm not a stranger to Mitsubishi. I owned it for four years, and went over a curb with it 2 years ago, and scored a sweet rebuilt title. About a month ago the 4G69 seized up while driving my girlfriend to work. So I figured I already had too much into this car, cut my losses and run. So I sold it.

Now I needed a car, and my father's friend said his girlfriend's son was going out west and was getting rid of his car. He told me that the car was sitting for atleast 6 months, needed a battery and an alternator, and that it was for sure a Mitsubishi, but wasn't sure what model, AND that he wanted $200. I figured it was likely a Lancer as there isn't much else out here in the way of Mitsubishi.

So I find out this kid is already out west and his mom is selling it for him, sweet... She tells me that they actually want $400 for it(I only brought $180). So I told her I have 180 dollars in my pocket and she said SOLD. I popped the hood, and found that it had a BRAND new battery in it. Took it out and swapped it for a battery out of my friends truck (two batteries), and I got him to charge the new one in his truck for a week.

With a new battery, the car fired right up. Immediately I knew something was wrong with the car, hissing super loud. Having my fair share of adventures with clogged catalytic converters I knew that was the culprit. So I drove it home anyway.. at an average of 50 km/h downhill.

The car doesn't have a straight body panel on it, the hood is dented, both quarter panels, the fenders aren't too bad, and the fuel door is falling off. Also I'd say the PO either backed into a pole or was rear ended because the rear of the car is pushed in.

To the left, my old Ralliart

I don't think this thing has had a tune up or oil change in awhile, definitely needs a valve adjustment, also sounds like it has a bad injector.

Leather and a sunroof.

After driving the car home, and starting it up continuously over the next couple days, and also unhooking the battery while the car was running debunked the myth that the car needed an alternator. By now I swapped my newly charged battery back in. I found the reason why he thought it needed an alternator was because he had some kind of sub and amp set up. I found all the very lazily done wiring. I assume he was running a set up that was too much for these alternators which barely run the car.

I hollowed out the catalytic converter and had to replace a large portion of the exhaust as well as a flex pipe. I also put on some 17" Tenzo wheels that I had on my Lancer, with 225/45 tires.

The car needs a couple more things for safety inspection, like brakes and minor things, so I'm not driving it yet. Although after running it up the road and back there is a lag in acceleration leading me to believe that there is in fact an injector problem.

This is the non-daily driver. It looks like shit, but it moves along pretty good. Mild 355, built th350, 3.42 LSD.

I think the Galant has a lot of potential, and maybe with a little bit of work it'll be a respectable daily. Thanks for reading

Welcome to TGC and good luck on your new project. Good job on the price too.
    15 F150 3.5 ecoboost 4x4 - daily driver
    01 Galant ES V6 MT (sold)
    00 Eclipse RS MT

Welcome to TGC! Great pickup on the LS-V6 Galant, a little love and she'll be a great car. Good deal on the purchase price too!

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"