The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: ideas for best subs in '03 gallant es

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 32

ideas for best subs in '03 gallant es

Hey everyone this is my first post just joined today. I just bought a 2003 Gallant ES and I wanted to get feedback on the direction I should take with regards to subs. Sizes, brands?
    Two 10s, two 12s, one 15?

Thanks!
    -wordupguy

Depends what u want, one good decent 10 or twelve is enough to have base still envoy and hear the music at all levels. But if like most u want bass just to have it then they would say go as large as you can, also factor in the amount of amps and wiring you will need.

I think I'll go with one 12..any suggestions for brands? Alpine?

Not sure man everyone has their options but I would go to crutchfield.com and ask a sales rep tell them what u wantt and stuff.

I had two 12" for a while then sold them. Then I got one 15". I missed my 12s, they had more bass and took up less room in the trunk.
    15 F150 3.5 ecoboost 4x4 - daily driver
    01 Galant ES V6 MT (sold)
    00 Eclipse RS MT

Hmm now I'm torn between one 12 or two 10s.. if one 15 took up more place than two 12s I'm sure two 10s would take up less space than one 12

Well, with a 15" woofer the box was massive. You can find compact boxes for dual 10s and dual 12s. Also theres small slant style boxes that hold a single woofer made for trucks. I don't think you'll gain much room by getting two 10s over two 12s, like I said you can get compact boxes for them. My friend had a cool box back in high school that was cylinder shape that had two 10s facing each other, that was really compact and still hit good.
    15 F150 3.5 ecoboost 4x4 - daily driver
    01 Galant ES V6 MT (sold)
    00 Eclipse RS MT

I have 2 G's, one has a single kicker CVR 12" and the other has two 12" JL W6.

In one car the bass is hardly enough

in the other it's ridiculous and overwhelming

Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    I have 2 G's, one has a single kicker CVR 12" and the other has two 12" JL W6.

In one car the bass is hardly enough

in the other it's ridiculous and overwhelming
    Two 12s in compact box it is! Go hard or go home
    Now I just need to pick some out...I've had two 12" alpine type-Rs which were sick I nicknamed them king Kong in the trunk

You can get by with some Type-E or Type-S If what you seek is added thump.

You can get by with some Type-E or Type-S If what you seek is added thump.
    Yeah the type s is the direction I think I'll take. Also does it help if my amp is alpine as well or does it not really make a difference if the brands are not matching..likewise with an after market?

Any amp as long as the rms wattage will match the woofers as well as the ohm load.

I had 2 12" Alpines (Type S) and loved them. Ground pounding and impressive, clean, crisp. Those were in a sealed box. Matched with good interiors and the right power, it's fun. I had those on an American Legacy 2 channel amp.

My last car, I did 1 12" Infinity in a sealed box. Powered appropriately but on a weak HU and stock interior speakers. It was nice to have a little extra bass to level out the music, but nothing like my old G and feeling that bass in your chest.

It really depends what you want, what music you listen to and how you're going to set it up. If you want mega bass, just power it up correctly and you'll be happy. Cut corners, and you'll blow fuses, dim lights, etc.

since you had type R's, get your self 2 10" Type X Subs in dual vented box made for them, youll still have enough room to fit a stroller and groceries in the trunk, get proper amp(s) to push them, they are factory rated at 1000rms but all owners and forums will tell you they take more. The R types are rated at 500rms so your doubling your power with x types.

Properly boxed and tuned they hit really hard and consistantly,. they are work horses and put you at the starting rung if you wanna get into spl competitions later. You will need to upgrade your battery or add a battery to the trunk, and run 0gauge wire.

I say try two 12" Sundown SA's. Their rated at 600 watts rms and they are a bit more expensive than Type R's about 195$ a piece. You would be sastisfied as long if you have enough power and a good tuned box. You could also try some Hifonics subs or Rockford Fosgate P2's or P3's.

If you are a bass head and this is your first Sound system... first time doing it yourself BUY a cheap sub Because you well blow it VIA clipping it. everyone does it

What you want to get out of your sub all depends on the Box you put it in and the amp you put it on
    To get the best out of it build a custom box

You can buy a $1000 dollar sub but if you but it in a prefab youll convince yourself the sub is shit.

Rocford Subs suck but the amps are amazing - Below average start- there AMPS ARE GODLY
    Alpine amps are average and so are the subs - Great sound quality sub
    JL is overpriced and for its price you can get way better- Bad start
    Kenwood is a entry brand there amps are below average - Great start sub
    Kicker are SPL subs and there sound quality (L7) is poop - Great SPL Sub

If you are experienced and want the best "bang" for your buck the top brands are
    Skaraudio ---I myself own this sub it is the best sub ive ever owned - Best of both sound quality and spl KILLS LOWS
    Sundown- well rounded sub SPL and sound Quality
    Audioque -well rounded sub SPL and sound Quality

And the High priced/ High End
    FI - they build subs for every case
    DC -they build subs for every case

My experience
    Ive went thru 2 Pioneers 10s, 1 pioneer 12, 2 kenwood 12s, 1 Infinity 12, 1 alpine type R and after all my money being thrown away ive bought my o scope and set my gains right on my amp i successfully own a Skar vvx 15 and its the best quality sounding and the best built sub ive ever owned and it DESTROYS low NOTES

have done amazing amounts of research on car audio and have done my share of trial and error so if you have any question feel free to PM me
    Last edited by Redhaze; 07-18-2012 at 11:14 PM
    -Dirty South-

They See Me Rollin They Hating -Riding Dirty-
    It dont smell or anything so F it.

What's clipping?, I'm on my first sub and it hasent blown now I'm all scurred.

Quote Originally Posted by Black8GV6 View Post
    Well, with a 15" woofer the box was massive.
    You arn't kidding!!! lol. A while back when I was in highschool, I had 2 15" Cerwin Vega strokers in my 86 Rustang... needless to sayI had no back seat, lol. I would crank it and it would pop the hatch open, lol.

I still have my stereo from my Altima, just 2 10" subs.... 700w amp.... it sounded perfect, good bass and I could still hear the music, I am torn on wheather to put it in my g, or in my girlfriends Aveo, I don't realy need it in my car with the 360 Rockford system already in it.....but I am still a kid at heart and love my bass....lol

Quote Originally Posted by bgood12 View Post
    What's clipping?, I'm on my first sub and it hasent blown now I'm all scurred.
    Sound is displayed by a sine wave (the smooth rolly wave), when you over power the subs by having too much gain, what happens is the sine wave gets too big for what the suubs can handle and instead of having a nice rolly wave you get the tops and bottoms of the waves "clipped" and flat, which makes it a square wave essentially. there are formulas that you use to adjust the "gain" on the amp to the proper voltage to be able to get the full potential from your subs with out blowing them, when you find out the proper voltage you use a Voltmeter and adjust the gain to the proper voltage before you hook up the subs so you don't blow them. This is why it is always best to have a professional install your stereo equipment.

The making of a custom box also differs on what type og music you listen to. Do you listen to techno, rock, hip hop or rap. Every genre needs diffrent kind of box to sound as good as it can. You can go square, cylinder, triangular. To get the best base or the strongest also makes a difference.
    You have to know what you want to get it

Sent from my phone! Using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast