The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: now i am without a/c

Showing results 1 to 15 of 15

now i am without a/c

Ok so Thursday night I was driving home from work when I threw a belt (alt/wp belt). Friday got 2 new belts and replaced them no squeeling. But a couple days later I turn on ac and only warm air came out? Worked perfectly before? Looked at it today none the lines look like the belt mayhave hit them? So I turned on car/ a/c on high and the compressor clutch didn't kick on (or engage) so my question is does the mean the comp. Is shot? Or is there something else that could cause said issue? I haven't checked the r134 yet but if the compressor isn't doing its job then that's where I want to start. I looked to see if anyone has had this issue but didn't see anything, so if it has been covered sorry ill keep on looking while I wait for an answer.

if your ligth stays steady when you push in the ac button then its not a freon issue. the green light will blink if you missing freon. more than likely the clutch went. you can get it repair but its expensive. the other option is to buy a compressor used and replace the whole thing. low miles best option. i got this on ebay at the beginning of june, the damn thing wouldnt engage and they wanted 150 for the compressor clutch. came with 6 months warranty. http://www.ebay.com/itm/221024738909...909%26_rdc%3D1

Yeah my green light is steady is there a way to get just the clutch? B/c I don't want to change the whole compressor and have to recharge my fridgerant and what not, if I don't have to.

to replace the clutch u need to take out the compressor. the clutch is inside the metal pulley. and not only that a new ac clutch cost 130 at autozone, and the installation? for that buy a remanufactured compressor. as for the freon, the ac guys should have a machine that recovers the freon. then they remove the compressor, fix or replace put it back and put back the freon. less than 2 hour job, the machine takes it sweet time.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-A-C-Comp...fd645b&vxp=mtr
    Last edited by specter6633; 07-18-2012 at 04:09 PM

I would be doing it myself, I'm to cheap to hire a mechanic, or should I say I can't afford one. So it sounds like ill be changing out the comp. Myself. :(

ohh relax its 4 screws. and loosen the belt have fun venting and keep ur face awayyyyyyyyyy. you just cut your time down by 50% :)

I've heard you have to pull a vacuum on the system after replacing comp? But I've also heard that you can purge the system?

Please, check the manual before you are going to buy or replace something:

http://tearstone.com/eclipsefsm/55.PDF
    ----
    INSPACTION PROCEDURE 7: The A/C indicator flashes <vehicles with 3.0L ENGINE> .
    STEP 1. Check the drive belt tension.
    STEP 2. Check the revolution pick-up sensor
    STEP 3. Check the harness wire between the compressor
    connector B-18 and automatic compressor controller
    connector C-13.
    STEP 4. Measure the automatic compressor controller
    terminal voltage.
    ----
    There is no 'freon' issue if the indicator flashes.

----
    MAGNETIC CLUTCH TEST
    1. Disconnect the magnetic clutch connector to the magnetic
    clutch.
    2. Connect positive battery voltage directly to the connector for
    the magnetic clutch.
    3. If the magnetic clutch is normal, there will be "click." If the
    pullet and armature do not make contact ("click"), there is a
    malfunction.
    ----

Ok, thanks very helpful. I'll check it out Friday that will be my next chance to dig into it. Maybe someone else will five me some more help before then, a/c systems and transmissons I don't know much on.

Experienced TGC Member 02redgalant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by djhah View Post
    I've heard you have to pull a vacuum on the system after replacing comp? But I've also heard that you can purge the system?
    if your changing the compressor then change dryer (its like the oil filter of the system) as well....vacuuming is a must after any a/c work ....moisture damages the a/c system so after vacuuming you have to make sure that the vacuum sticks if not you have a leak....purging is recommended if your compressor siezed and sent metal thru the system...

Ok thanks for the input

Ok so good luck today, I am back with a/c the problem was the conector on the compressor came undone clicked it back together and now it works again! Sweetness!

Nice bro. Congrats

Yeah I was really happy