The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Cali-spec cars and emissions

Showing results 1 to 5 of 5

Cali-spec cars and emissions

Question-- I have a cali spec car, if i remove the precat from my car will that be a problem when emission time comes? will it fail? Also will there be a change in sound if the precat is removed?
    Chapin y Boriqua que mezcla

Lets put it this way gizmo, I removed my precats to install my headers and got my emissions notice in the mail the next week. I went and passed. Since you and I are both in MD, you should be fine. I kept my stock cat in the exhaust. As far as changing the sound, I doubt it, but can;t be sure since I added headers when I removed my precats.

Chip
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

Senior TGC Member
    I believe the precats are only there to assist the main cat while it warms up...after that it really doesn't do too much more...
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

you can go ahead and remove the precat. i suggest getting a downpipe just to make installation and such easier and if for some reason u move to a state with stricter emissions standards, ur precat and such is still in tact.

also make sure that the guy that does the work on the job does everything correct just because MD does do some of their emissions checks using obd-II so they might find something even a lil bit wrong with the removal of the precat

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Senior TGC Member
    Also, see my post at http://www.tgc-forums.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=742 didn't feel like copying and pasting...not sure if my failing was due to the precats or the high flow cat or just the stricter emissions standards.
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison