The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Engine Swap questions.

Showing results 1 to 15 of 15

Engine Swap questions.

Sorry, but I'm not too sure I have seen the answers anywhere for these couple questions:

If I swap to a 6G75 (or 6G74), would I be able to pass state inspections that require emissions and OBDII plug in? Secondly, without fabrication experience, should I consider attempting a 75 swap, or stick with a 74 swap (since I don't want to pay a shop to do my project)?

Sorry if this sounds very novice. I'm handy and would love to do a more challenging project, but don't see a NEED to invest in the tools required to do a major fabrication project.

Someone else can chime in, but I think with the 74 at least, if you do the swap, you use the 72's injectors and you should pass. Adrian (beam514) has done the 74 swap out in California, the land of super strict emission testing and has no issues. I'm not sure about the 75, but both Matt (M-Rod) and Dion (deeznutz) have done the 75 and can tell you more about how that goes. Hope this helps some.

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

Quote Originally Posted by wetamup2k3g View Post
    Someone else can chime in, but I think with the 74 at least, if you do the swap, you use the 72's injectors and you should pass. Adrian (beam514) has done the 74 swap out in California, the land of super strict emission testing and has no issues. I'm not sure about the 75, but both Matt (M-Rod) and Dion (deeznutz) have done the 75 and can tell you more about how that goes. Hope this helps some.
    Thanks, this is a start. I'm sure a lot of it will come down to the ECU, but I keep reading that the 75 needs a stand alone, which I doubt Motor Vehicle Commission would like here.

in NY if u dont have a CEL, u will pass emissions, not sure about NJ, the engine swap can be done and u wont have a CEL

No need for a standalone. The stock ECU will be just fine as long as you get a definition file and a tune to compensate for the different timing and the increase both air and fuel.

The 75 is essentially the same as the 74 swap except you need to swap over your distributor to the rear head, and use the 74 lower intake manifold + fuel rails. You will also need the 74's coolant manifold which crosses over to each head and houses the thermostat.

When I did the swap with a friend of mine, it had not yet been done and took 2 days. Probably would have only taken 1 if I hadn't started it at 9pm on the first night. With the amount of info and resources out there now on this swap, pretty much every aspect has been covered and any questions you run into, somebody else has most likely found the solution.
    '99 5-Speed GTZ: Forged 3.6L 6G74T 6764 E85
    2017: 552whp/562wtq SBE on 19psi
    '02 Eclipse GT: 6G72 M/T-swapped Daily Driver
    '10 Endeavor: 6G75 AWD Family-mobile

So far I'm liking the sounds of this! I think I may have been looking at a MIVEC swap talking about a stand alone.

All in all, the 75 should "drop-in" and not need fabricated mounts, right? If all I would need is donor parts from a 72/74, that's not a bad deal at all. This is making me feel a lot better about doing this. If I swap I figure I might as well go to the biggest option right from the start.

This sounds like so much fun! I can't wait till I get the space in my garage again.

Any other advice?

Using a MIVEC 6g75 is no different than a regular 6g75 for the most part in terms of dimensions of the engine. Actual VVT control is not that big a deal, just use an RPM switch or a window switch to trigger it, off the top off my head I can't remember the voltage. However, things I need to point out that you need to know
    There is a large premium of the MIVEC 6g75's over a regular 6g75

From everything I have read, there is no difference between how much the MIVEC heads flow compared to the none MIVEC's, they both do incredibly well, the words 'higher flow than an LS7' have been used before

If your considering using higher performance cams in a MIVEC, be aware that these have a rocker ratio of 1.4:1, iirc the none MIVEC heads (as with every other none MIVEC SOHC 24 valve 6g7 cylinder head) has a rocker ratio of 1.5:1

Finding one cheap usually can possibly mean a damaged block, to get one in good shape might be 1.5 grand

You can't use a 6g74 lower intake manifold, it straight up can't bolt on

This basically means you need custom made fuel rails

With that being said, you can actually can get MIVEC like performance out of a non-MIVEC 6g75 just by using stage 2 RPW cams
    Unless you have the money and resources, there is absolutely nothing wrong with using a regular 6g75
    Just because something is old, doesn't mean you throw it away

Geordi La Forge

I wish my last post was clearer on my mention of the MIVEC, then you probably wouldn't have typed all that. I'm partial to a normal 75 (non-MIVEC) already. The info is great though!

I'm thinking it's time to start budgeting for a 75 instead of the 74 swap!

You are here entirely tooo much!! beam514's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wetamup2k3g View Post
    technically, I haven't gotten it certified yet (oops), but my buddy talked to a SMOG ref and they said it would most likely be fine, they just need to see it.

hi there everyone im looking to do a engine swap soon with my 8G and was wanting to gather some info on the topic. now the ideal swap would be for me that is I know it sounds crazy and ive heard a lot about this swap being quite expensive but im gonna say it anyway and that is the 6g72tt doch awd but I want to block off the awd and keep the rwd instead of altering my chassis for the all awd and yes I am aware that the transmission sits on the opposite side of where mine currently sits wwith this information that I have given you do you think its plausible?

Quote Originally Posted by beam514 View Post
    technically, I haven't gotten it certified yet (oops), but my buddy talked to a SMOG ref and they said it would most likely be fine, they just need to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by sexy 8G View Post
    hi there everyone im looking to do a engine swap soon with my 8G and was wanting to gather some info on the topic. now the ideal swap would be for me that is I know it sounds crazy and ive heard a lot about this swap being quite expensive but im gonna say it anyway and that is the 6g72tt doch awd but I want to block off the awd and keep the rwd instead of altering my chassis for the all awd and yes I am aware that the transmission sits on the opposite side of where mine currently sits wwith this information that I have given you do you think its plausible?
    No, it's not plausible. If you understand the usdm chassis you will soon realize a 6g72TT swap is not feasible both physically and financial purpose. But cutting the AWD into RWD however.....

Yes it is. You just need to think outside the box and do your research on it. It's even possible using the exact orientation of the current 8G engine, but for the money, it's not worth it when you can make the same output on a single turbo sohc 3 liter.
    '99 5-Speed GTZ: Forged 3.6L 6G74T 6764 E85
    2017: 552whp/562wtq SBE on 19psi
    '02 Eclipse GT: 6G72 M/T-swapped Daily Driver
    '10 Endeavor: 6G75 AWD Family-mobile

Okay so I'm back with a different proposal how about 6g72 dohc from a diamante

Sent from my RM-917_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

I meant 74 sorry
    Sent from my RM-917_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

The diamante never had a DOHC 6g74. Just a DOHC 6g72 way back in the day that was a smoke billowing pile of shit of a motor that should not be associated with the 6g72 DOHC in the 3000gt or anything else. 95% of them came with defective valve guides.

Based on your questions, start with a basic 6g74 swap out of the diamante. It's cheap and easy and will help you get your feet wet. Once you learn the ropes you'll be able to decide if your really crave a larger bite of the apple.