The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Custom double din radio bezel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 36

Custom double din radio bezel

Ok, so I finally got to it and made a custom double din radio bezel to fit my headunit. I used a putty type of epoxy, like a plumbers putty. Two tubes cost me $8 at Walmart. Dries in 10 minutes, bonds really well and it's easily sandable. Here's some pics of the progress thus far.

First application of the putty to build out the bezel.

Rough sand and fit.

Test fit.

It's a lot of work. Sand, test fit, sand, test fit, more sanding, more sanding more sanding... I'm priming it right now. I first used a plastic primer then I used a filler primer to fill in all the little blemishes and imprefections, sanding inbetween each coat of primer. I highly recommend using filler primer if you're going to do this. Then after the filler primer I'll sand it again before I paint and clear it. More pics soon.

I wanna put a double din n mines but I dnt wanna cut up my stock trim 4 the head unit. I can prolly get 1 just custom made right?
    GWAP STACKIN MAKE'S IT HAPPEN

Now I may try this out.

Quote Originally Posted by GWAPS View Post
    I wanna put a double din n mines but I dnt wanna cut up my stock trim 4 the head unit. I can prolly get 1 just custom made right?
    You could have a shop make this for you but I bet it'll be at the very least like $100 to $150 and most likely they're still going to need a stock bezel to use as the base. You can get a spare bezel on ebay for like $25. It's worth it to do it yourself in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    Now I may try this out.
    Yeah, it's really easy it just takes a long time with the sanding to make everything perfect. If you do try it be patient and be ready to spend a full day or two hand sanding and test fitting. Like I said in my first post, use filler primer over the platic primer. it will make your life a whole lot easier. When you get it sanded and you think it's perfect and put that first coat of plastic primer on you're going to see a ton of imperfections. Filler primer will take care of those. Just make sure you lightly sand inbetween coats of primer.
    Last edited by AmericanJambo; 07-23-2012 at 11:08 AM

Primed with filler primer. Still need to do a bit more filling and sanding on the bottom part between the headunit and the climate control but it's getting there.

Last edited by AmericanJambo; 07-22-2012 at 11:20 PM

This reminds me that I should finish that PC screen that I started over a year ago
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64T (Samantha)
    '01 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (Daily)
    '02 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '91 Volvo 740 Turbo B230FT (SOLD)
    '88 Mitsubishi Mighty Max (SOLD)
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

Quote Originally Posted by spdracr View Post
    This reminds me that I should finish that PC screen that I started over a year ago
    Yeah, I installed the headunit a year ago and just hacked away the middle bar and it's been like that until a few days ago. It's about damn time I did this.

Looks great. Clean and simple. Is the screen detachable? Looks like QuickSteel putty. I just used that on my JDM mirror switch. So easy to mold, and hardens really well.

Experienced TGC Member johnygezony's Avatar
    How easy is it to switch down the HVAC controls?

Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGO_ONE View Post
    Looks great. Clean and simple. Is the screen detachable? Looks like QuickSteel putty. I just used that on my JDM mirror switch. So easy to mold, and hardens really well.
    Thanks. I like the clean look. Should look factory after I finish it. Going to finish it up tomorrow I hope. It's not QuickSteel. I don't remember exactly what it is but I think it's made by 3M. It's a blue stick with a white core that turns completely white when you kneed it together. Walmart sells it for $4 a package. Took 2 packages to do this project.

Quote Originally Posted by johnygezony View Post
    How easy is it to switch down the HVAC controls?
    Very easy. The cable that attaches to the climate control is long enough to move down. All you have to do is drill 4 hole to mount it. I'll take a pic for you.

Ok, sanding, priming and silver top coat are finished. Only need to put a few coats of clear and I'm finally finished.

Awesome work. Can't wait to see it installed.

Love it. Its super sexy.
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

Final product clear coated and installed. Couldn't get a good pic though. Just couldn't get the light right to really make it pop.

U should try to bring the climate control a lil forward to get rid of the gaps.
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

U should try to bring the climate control a lil forward to get rid of the gaps.
    I noticed that too, but from having considered it he'd have to add to the plastic that it mounts to. Could probably just find scrap plastic that is about the thickness of the gap, cut it to shape, and mount it like a spacer.

This makes me really want to clean mine up a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by NCamiolo View Post
    I noticed that too, but from having considered it he'd have to add to the plastic that it mounts to. Could probably just find scrap plastic that is about the thickness of the gap, cut it to shape, and mount it like a spacer.

This makes me really want to clean mine up a bit.
    No all he need to do is trim down the side tabs where the screws go into and it will work.
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

No all he need to do is trim down the side tabs where the screws go into and it will work.
    Damn you guys are nit-picky. Lol. So am I actually. Triming down the side tabs to move the controls about an eighth to a quarter of an inch was part of the plan from day 1. That gap drives me crazy. My dremel will make short work of it. Just haven't gotten to it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanJambo View Post
    Damn you guys are nit-picky. Lol. So am I actually. Triming down the side tabs to move the controls about an eighth to a quarter of an inch was part of the plan from day 1. That gap drives me crazy. My dremel will make short work of it. Just haven't gotten to it yet.
    A dremel with a cutting disk?? A hobby saw will work wonders.
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast