The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Custom double din radio bezel

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 36 of 36
    Quote Originally Posted by spdracr View Post
    A dremel with a cutting disk?? A hobby saw will work wonders.
    I'm going to use a grinding cone. I'm really good with that attachment and it'll take just a few seconds on a low setting with that soft plastic. Then I'll clean it up with a few strokes of the file. Easy peasy.

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanJambo View Post
    I'm going to use a grinding cone. I'm really good with that attachment and it'll take just a few seconds on a low setting with that soft plastic. Then I'll clean it up with a few strokes of the file. Easy peasy.
    I'm not familiar with that attachment.
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64T (Samantha)
    '01 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (Daily)
    '02 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '91 Volvo 740 Turbo B230FT (SOLD)
    '88 Mitsubishi Mighty Max (SOLD)
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

Looks good, I will be starting my double din project in the next week or so. Did you mold anything in the space you cut out, like how some people molded the trim that comes with the headunit into the bezel, or did you just cut it and just epoxy the edges to smooth them out?

I'm not familiar with that attachment.
    It's basically a small cone shaped attachment that is made out of grinding stone. I found a better attachment to use though. I think the tile cutting bit should work pretty well at low speed. Should be able to easily shave off a quarter inch.

Quote Originally Posted by SquareOne View Post
    Looks good, I will be starting my double din project in the next week or so. Did you mold anything in the space you cut out, like how some people molded the trim that comes with the headunit into the bezel, or did you just cut it and just epoxy the edges to smooth them out?
    I didn't mold the trim into the bezel. I used a file and sanding block and squared everything by hand. I wanted to have a standard double din opening if I decide to get an upgreaded headunit. Plus I don't like the look when the trim ring is molded into the bezel and painted. Makes the headunit look out of proportion in my opinion. This way the opening stays the same width as the climate control so it's balanced.

great idea, i was trying to think of how I was going to be able to mold it and still use the trim piece that came with the headunit so that it looks more factory. Great write up it looks really good.

great idea, i was trying to think of how I was going to be able to mold it and still use the trim piece that came with the headunit so that it looks more factory. Great write up it looks really good.
    If you need any help let me know. I have more pics of the whole progress and I learned a couple tricks that will help. Make sure you get a rubber sanding block and flat file. Build up the putty using a couple layers and build it higher then you want the finished product to be. Then use 60 grit to do the rough sanding and knock it down to about the desired proportions. Switch to a 100 then to a 150 grit to do the final tweeks. Use a light coat of platic primer and then multiple coats of filler primer. Hit the filler primer with 220 grit between each coat. Test fit and then spray with your top coat and multiple layers of clear. If you want it super smooth and shiney you can wet sand the final clear coat with 300-400 grit to knock down the orage peel.

awesome thanks for the information that will help me out alot. with the ac controls, did you screw it into the bezel like the the little tray was or did you drill in into the area behind the bezel similar to how the ac controls were originally screwed in?

If you need any help let me know. I have more pics of the whole progress and I learned a couple tricks that will help. Make sure you get a rubber sanding block and flat file. Build up the putty using a couple layers and build it higher then you want the finished product to be. Then use 60 grit to do the rough sanding and knock it down to about the desired proportions. Switch to a 100 then to a 150 grit to do the final tweeks. Use a light coat of platic primer and then multiple coats of filler primer. Hit the filler primer with 220 grit between each coat. Test fit and then spray with your top coat and multiple layers of clear. If you want it super smooth and shiney you can wet sand the final clear coat with 300-400 grit to knock down the orage peel.
    I though a much higher grit is used to sand down the clear coat to get rid of orange peel like 1000-1500
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

awesome thanks for the information that will help me out alot. with the ac controls, did you screw it into the bezel like the the little tray was or did you drill in into the area behind the bezel similar to how the ac controls were originally screwed in?
    Very similar to how it was originally.
    Last edited by spdracr; 07-28-2012 at 04:46 PM
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

cool thanks for the info, now time to try it myself.

I though a much higher grit is used to sand down the clear coat to get rid of orange peel like 1000-1500
    Oh for sure, you're right. I completely forgot to finish that. I start with 300-400 lightly, then to 800, then to 1000 and I finish with a polishing paste. Comes out smooth as glass. Never tried going straight to 1000 grit. Does it work pretty well?

Gd job it looks bad ass
    GWAP STACKIN MAKE'S IT HAPPEN

hi, how did you fix the a/c on the lower level?it does not have any places to put the screws!

Looks bad ass!! Just bought my Pioneer double din today and will be doing this this weekend. Great write-up....

that shit iz cleaaaaaan though;)
    nice work fasho

2kGblackONblack4g64

Ok, sanding, priming and silver top coat are finished. Only need to put a few coats of clear and I'm finally finished.

gorgeous job.. i should of painted mine.. eugh.. i tried wrapping it in a pleather, to kind of match the interior.. came out fail.. but then again, you learn from experience.. next time i'm just going to paint...

This piece was completely fabricated via fiberglass / bondo

mine--
    in the g6

I even had to fab a piece for the climate control cluster and move it to the bottom because it was originally on the center consol.. damn 10.1 inch.. -__-
    Last edited by bobmundo123; 09-22-2012 at 09:25 AM

IMMORTALIZED CUSTOMS
    Sid Mundo Production

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12