The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: any1 in soCal can help me out?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 33

Icon4 any1 in soCal can help me out?

Does anyone have any good smog places that wont trip over my headers... i really dont wana take em off i waz thinkin about spraying them black for tha smog and dmv visual?
    Does any1 know if at the dmv inspection do they trip over a CAI and headers? Lol. I got my tags already so its gettn down to tha wire to smog, im tight on $$ my MAF just went and i dont have stock headers.... pm me

2kGblackONblack4g64

You are here entirely tooo much!! beam514's Avatar
    yeah, you'll definitely fail the visual because of those headers. SMOG technicians aren't stupid, they know what they are dealing with and had to take specific courses just to become SMOG tech certified. Painting the headers black won't help, believe me.

The CAI might fail you as well, if it is not CARB certified. Unfortunately I don't know of any places down here for you, but I might ask around a bit and shoot you a PM if I find something.

You are here entirely tooo much!! IVORY_G's Avatar
    Exhaust mani and CAI are easy installs/removals. Take the time to take them off and pass SMOG, then put it back once you do.
    JDM Zenki Conversion

Lazy hands make for poverty, but diligent hands bring wealth. (Proverbs 10:4 NIV)

You are here entirely tooo much!! beam514's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IVORY_G View Post
    Exhaust mani and CAI are easy installs/removals. Take the time to take them off and pass SMOG, then put it back once you do.
    He doesn't have the stock exhaust

a lot of junk yard in your area, get it there.
    http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...ideoid=2799274

A filipino's number one dream is to own a car before anything else. In the philippines, most private car owners consider their vehicles as an extension of their home but with one differrence: a home is where his wife cooks while a car is where his girlfriend builds a fire. Hmmm...

Ima check tha JY. But if i find a smog guy thatll do it with my check engine lite on,
    doesnt tha dmv have a look under the hood too? To verify engine#???

2kGblackONblack4g64

I mean in san pedro every1 at tha dmv is old i dont see any1 really knowing what my exhaust is if its black and the stock intake is back in?

2kGblackONblack4g64

if you have a check engine light (CEL) you will automatically fail. back in the day we used to know places that could pass us modded but it was a few bills for the smog... all the places i knew are now out of business, they must've gotten fined too heavily to continue.

i just got smog'd at a legit test only (per dmv) just a few weeks ago and i watched what they do,m and here it is:

first they start the car and let it idle then they plugged a long cable into the OBDII port under the dash w/ their computer to scan the OBDII for codes (you shold have no codes or they will not go any further) and also checked to see that the OBDII ECU has not just been recently reset (have to drive at least 10 miles to cycle all the fault checks). once they verify that, they leave the cable plugged in as the computer is connected to the dmv in sacramento. they opened the hood, saw my CAI, didn't say anything about it (i have CARB EO# stickers on it). closed my hood, drove it onto the rollers and hooked up a "sniffer" to the tailpipe. they start the actual test and do readings at idle and at around 25mph under load on the rollers like a dyno pull, but only to a moderate speed. the results are sent by their computer directly to sacramento, but they will also give you a printout of the results. they unhook ur car and you r done.
    Last edited by Reelax; 07-26-2012 at 03:20 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Reelax View Post
    if you have a check engine light (CEL) you will automatically fail. back in the day we used to know places that could pass us modded but it was a few bills for the smog... all the places i knew are now out of business, they must've gotten fined too heavily to continue.

i just got smog'd at a legit test only (per dmv) just a few weeks ago and i watched what they do,m and here it is:

first they start the car and let it idle then they plugged a long cable into the OBDII port under the dash w/ their computer to scan the OBDII for codes (you shold have no codes or they will not go any further) and also checked to see that the OBDII ECU has not just been recently reset (have to drive at least 10 miles to cycle all the fault checks). once they verify that, they leave the cable plugged in as the computer is connected to the dmv in sacramento. they opened the hood, saw my CAI, didn't say anything about it (i have CARB EO# stickers on it). closed my hood, drove it onto the rollers and hooked up a "sniffer" to the tailpipe. they start the actual test and do readings at idle and at around 25mph under load on the rollers like a dyno pull, but only to a moderate speed. the results are sent by their computer directly to sacramento, but they will also give you a printout of the results. they unhook ur car and you r done.
    ^This is exactly what goes down every time I get SMOG'd.

Quote Originally Posted by 00LeibyRacing View Post
    I mean in san pedro every1 at tha dmv is old i dont see any1 really knowing what my exhaust is if its black and the stock intake is back in?
    DUDE!
    1-The DMV doesn't do SMOG certs on site, you have to go to a SMOG station to get it done.

2-You have a header, & your header eliminates your catalytic converter. Which means you will not only FAIL visual inspection, but also the computer test when your car is hooked up to the "sniffer". Because without the catalytic converter you emit a lot more pollution into the air. Not only that but getting caught without a catalytic converter is a $1,000 fine.

You can't beat the system unless you pay someone off at a SMOG station that you find by word of mouth, and those are really hard to find these days. Also you will not find a catalytic converter at a JY because it is illegal for them to sell you one.
    JDM Zenki Conversion

Lazy hands make for poverty, but diligent hands bring wealth. (Proverbs 10:4 NIV)

Nahh yall dont understand. I have a cat aftr my downpipe and a catback system. It ran quiet till my MAF went out.

And my fuel neck has a GROSS LEAK from the shitty plastic cover behind my back passenger tire.
    Im from back east so tha salt and snow ate that shit uppp!
    .my fuel vaporizer went bad most likely(its right next to fuel neck) and that was the check Engine light BEFORE the MAF went out. So i have JUST those 2 codes on my check engine light.. def. Cant pass smog.

I have 2options of SSMOG PLACES that are gona run me some xtra $$

AND there is a DMV paper stapled to my TITLE and REGISTRATION,
    i had to transfer my plates over. So this paper has a little check list on it that the DMV said THEY FILL OUT AFTER I BRING THE SMOG CERTIFICATE. Sorry im not arguein just sayin;)

I thought every1 had this paper, it must be since i transfered ovr from anothe state... my bad.. lets see if i can post a pic of tha paper im tlkin bout......
    Last edited by 00LeibyRacing; 07-26-2012 at 04:27 PM

2kGblackONblack4g64

So My nxt question is...
    Does DMV look under tha hood?
    Or do they just check the vin number in tha window?
    Last edited by 00LeibyRacing; 07-26-2012 at 04:52 PM

2kGblackONblack4g64

If your car is being transferred from another state then the DMV will do a visual inspection of your vehicle to verify everything is up to par (including VIN code check), BUT you still will have to pass the SMOG Test at a SMOG Station outside of the DMV.
    JDM Zenki Conversion

Word uppp..
    Sounds fun.............
    My shit aint even CA EMISSION to begin with..
    Does that even matter? Isnt tha federal spec just 48state legal?

2kGblackONblack4g64

So My nxt question is...
    Does DMV look under tha hood?
    Or do they just check the vin number in tha window?
    the dmv doesn't inspect your car directly, ever. the normal procedure is you bring ur car to a smog "test only" or "test and repair" shop (depending on what the dmv requests fin their registration renewal letter); if there is a problem passing smog or there are other issues (such as gross polluter, engine swap or illelgal modifications) they can send you to a "referee"... those shops are VERY strict and will go over your car with a fine tooth comb... u do no want to be sent to a referee. all of these independent shops report results directly to the dmv (to avoid fraudulent/falsefied certificates).

btw, if your "headers" have a main cat, do they also have the pre-cat(s)? cali spec 8G's have up to 3 cats total on the v6 (2 precats right after the collectors, 1 on each cylinder bank) and 1 main cat under the car.

here's a picture of my downpipe vs. stock exhaust so u can see what i mean... this dp would NOT pass smog legitimately but did i didn't have it tested legitimately while i had it on (i've converted back to stock headers section a few years ago so the car passes legitimately):

Last edited by Reelax; 07-26-2012 at 05:49 PM

Ok mines a 4cylinder but thats just like my downpipe and cat...
    If i fail smog are they like quick to throwing your azz to the referee or do they have you come back? (At a legitimate place)
    Cuz i no my shit is gone if a ref see itt..
    Thats why im tryna find a not so legit place to do it.. id rather pay them off than buy all new shit for my car.

I have a fix it ticket COURT on AUG. 13th so i have no choice but smog it like it iz...
    Lol

2kGblackONblack4g64

Ok mines a 4cylinder but thats just like my downpipe and cat...
    If i fail smog are they like quick to throwing your azz to the referee or do they have you come back? (At a legitimate place)
    Cuz i no my shit is gone if a ref see itt..
    Thats why im tryna find a not so legit place to do it.. id rather pay them off than buy all new shit for my car.

I have a fix it ticket COURT on AUG. 13th so i have no choice but smog it like it iz...
    Lol
    u r not gonna b able to pay off a place unless they know u or u have a buddy that knows them... the fines that the smog places have to deal with are in the tens of thousands if they are caught... and to smog that way, they need to hook up to your ecu (no codes) and use another car (that matches the engine specs of your car) for the sniffer simultaneously, as the computers are hooked up directly to sacramento dmv. they can't just leave the sniffer unhooked because they load test now, so the readings have to change in accordance w/ rpms and load. the last time i went that route it cost about $400.

ticket for what exactly? you can extend those here:

http://www.lasuperiorcourt.org/traff...rchTicket.aspx
    Last edited by Reelax; 07-26-2012 at 06:30 PM

Its for expired tags. Supposed to be done in january lol. I got pulled ovr in may and i can extend it to october daaaamn thats a long ass time.. and i have 30day tags on my whip now thays how im gettin to workk. I was drivin wit expired shit since january everyday n got pulled ovr 1 time for some dumb shit. My front plate wasnt seen so he pulled me ovr aftr he whipped a hard ass U TURN.
    my plate is on tha right corner of the bumper lol
    You can see it from the right side of my car so my shit cant get camera tickets;)) from tha front atleast...
    Last edited by 00LeibyRacing; 07-26-2012 at 06:50 PM

2kGblackONblack4g64

first thing first... fix the codes. if those aren't cleared your getting nowhere fast. they won't even put the car on the rollers unless the OBDII reads clean.

Word. Thanks for the help. And that site to extend my time a little longer.. im sure tha dmv will give me another 30 daytag too worse case...

2kGblackONblack4g64

Its for expired tags. Supposed to be done in january lol. I got pulled ovr in may and i can extend it to october daaaamn thats a long ass time.. and i have 30day tags on my whip now thays how im gettin to workk. I was drivin wit expired shit since january everyday n got pulled ovr 1 time for some dumb shit. My front plate wasnt seen so he pulled me ovr aftr he whipped a hard ass U TURN.
    my plate is on tha right corner of the bumper lol
    You can see it from the right side of my car so my shit cant get camera tickets;)) from tha front atleast...
    umm, you know the red light cameras simultaneously take multiple pics from the front right and rear right of your car to get your face and your plates from multiple angles? putting ur plate on the right makes your plate even more visible to the cameras... but maybe THIS is why u haven't gotten a red light camera ticket in LA:

Quote Originally Posted by LASC - Traffic
    July 29, 2011: The City of Los Angeles has decided to end its red light camera program on July 31, 2011. The City's action does not stop the processing of outstanding red-light citations. It does not eliminate penalties associated with red-light citations. It does not constitute grounds for a refund of any money paid on such a citation. Anyone issued a red-light citation must resolve it within the specified time limits or face certain penalties as prescribed by law.
    best advice, get extensions from court and dmv, get repairs so codes are clean, get new spark plugs, a clean air filter and oil change then try to smog... it might just pass at that point. if not, b prepared to swap to OE dp w/ pre cats w/ all o2 sensors and emissions equipment hooked up and working properly to pass then u can swap back after positive results.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast