The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: What's up TGC from MA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 22

Icon4 What's up TGC from MA

Hey what's up everybody. I'm trying to post a thread, but I'm not allowed to yet. I have a 97 galant 5 speed and the shifter cable just snapped. Does anybody know where I can get one cuz the dealership says it's discontinued. Or does anybody know if an auto cable will work? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to TGC! Not sure if an auto cable will work or not, but if you're near a junkyard, try grabbing one from there. Post pics of your car when you get a chance!

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

Dont they have advanced auto out their? I would think they had that, if not, order it online....
    But Welcome to TGC

2kGblackONblack4g64

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    They should not be discontinued yet as you can still get cables for a 1990 eclipse. i will run down to my local dealer soon and find out for you.

welcome to TGC and u have a nice start with it being 5 speed stock if we can get you some new cables
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

Thanks everybody. This is actually my 2nd 7G. I liked my 96 so much, I've been searching for a 97-98. And I know that the autos are junk. I've been a big fan of the site, but only recently got my 2nd galant, so I thought I'd join. I tried advanced, auto zone, a local Mitsubishi dealer, and I've been searching online. There's 1 auto up at the boneyard, but I don't wanna pill it to find out it won't work.

The junkyard said that the eclipse's won't work either, but they're offered with a 2.4L 5 speed also... Wonder why 'they won't work'

eclipse ones work, dont let them tell u otherwise
    and if they wont let u get them, tell them u have a 97 eclipse instead lol

Ok thanks. I'll try in the a.m.

thought it was a 95 shifter cables that were the only other option, i know the auto one wont work. i will go to my dealer in the morning and post my findings
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

AFAIK u can use any 2g 5spd cables, i used from a 98 GST when I did my 5spd swap in my 95 Galant years ago

Well here is the scoop, if I can find a set of these cables the ones that came stock in his 7g is 95 bucks the stock 2g cables are 175 or more. If I can get them I'll let u know cuz I could probably get them cheaper at my dealer and if u can drive to meet me we can work something out.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

welcome!

and the cables from any turbo 2g will work

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SHIFTER-CABL...cf28a1&vxp=mtr

or go to the dealer with this part number as its for the earlier 7gs
    MB864555 and new they will be about 187 + tax from your dealer
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

Welcome to TGC|
    Jason - - cofounder of TGCNY
    click banner to enter the NY Chapter

2001 Galant ES
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition

Experienced TGC Member Rach3T8G's Avatar
    Welcome 2 TGC!
    - Chris -
    2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 5MT: My DD
    2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 5MT

Welcome!!!
    STAY READY AND YOU WONT HAVE TO GET READY!!

Welcome to TGC
    Dw@r!k@

Thanks everybody for all the help. I was actually lucky enough to find a 5 speed Galant in one of my junkyards on Saturday. I yanked the cables and shifter assembly cuz the previous owner thought it was a "good idea" to weld the clips for the cable in place... I'll be throwing in the new shifter assembly and cables today. I was also thinking about replacing the shifter plate bushings with the poly ones and replacing the cable ends with skateboard bearings in the next few weeks. Any thoughts as to how much this'll help shifting?

not sure on the poly ones, but I have the CNC metal ones with the skateboard bearings and my shifts are solid, i love the feel of them, im sure the poly ones will help better than the stock soft ones

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast