The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 8G V6 AWD conversion

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 27

8G V6 AWD conversion

I am really interested in converting to AWD but am curious as to how i would find a transmission that would work for the V6. That and i am already 5spd swapped so i asked myself "is it worth it" even though i probly need another transmission to do that? would the car be just as good without AWD?
    2002 Galant LS 3.0L V6 5spd, CAI

AWD in the 8G is a serious undertaking, requiring welding, cutting and fabrication of various parts of the car. It is not for the faint of heart nor the average backyard mechanic. Look at GOOSEY2099's and Stewi's AWD threads to see what they did.

That being said, I was actually asking someone this today, and I have a thought that if a 6G75 bolts up to our transmissions, then the bolt pattern on the transmission in the 4WD Endeavor should bolt up, but having never seen the underside of one, i can't tell you if it would fit in the bay and what modification you would need to do to get one to work. I know the rear subframe of the Endeavor bolts up to the 380, which is the Austrailian 9G, so maybe with modification it might work. But if you could get it to work, you'd probably be the first.

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

Check out club3g.com, the eclipse gt and gts have the same engine as the v6 galants. They have some info there but I don't think anyone has done it before because there isn't an AWD transmission that would bolt up to the 6g72.

Experienced TGC Member OMEGA PHX's Avatar

There one conversion thread on club3g the guy i'm not sure on what tranny (evo 8 or eclipse) with custom made bellhousing to bolt it up to a 6g7x:
    http://www.club3g.com/forum/members-...pharmecis.html
    Last edited by OMEGA PHX; 07-29-2012 at 08:23 PM

4g64T 5spd

You are here entirely tooo much!! IVORY_G's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wetamup2k3g View Post
    AWD in the 8G is a serious undertaking, requiring welding, cutting and fabrication of various parts of the car. It is not for the faint of heart nor the average backyard mechanic. Look at GOOSEY2099's and Stewi's AWD threads to see what they did.

That being said, I was actually asking someone this today, and I have a thought that if a 6G75 bolts up to our transmissions, then the bolt pattern on the transmission in the 4WD Endeavor should bolt up, but having never seen the underside of one, i can't tell you if it would fit in the bay and what modification you would need to do to get one to work. I know the rear subframe of the Endeavor bolts up to the 380, which is the Austrailian 9G, so maybe with modification it might work. But if you could get it to work, you'd probably be the first.
    Goosey and Stewi's cars are 4G64 platforms which is alot different from the 6G72 platform mostly because of the subframe and lack of transmission options. But it is still possible, peep this:
    https://www.thegalantcenter.org/show...&highlight=AWD
    JDM Zenki Conversion

Lazy hands make for poverty, but diligent hands bring wealth. (Proverbs 10:4 NIV)

awd and v6 is doable, but it'll be auto.

there is no manual awd gearbox in exsistance that i know of that will bolt in

manual and FWD
    auto and AWD

you'd need to modify a fwd box to accept the transfer case or modify the bellhousing of a 4g63 awd box to suit the bolt pattern of the 6g7X

AWD V6 has already been done in a 3G using the W4A Endeavor transmission and differential.
    '99 5-Speed GTZ: Forged 3.6L 6G74T 6764 E85
    2017: 552whp/562wtq SBE on 19psi
    '02 Eclipse GT: 6G72 M/T-swapped Daily Driver
    '10 Endeavor: 6G75 AWD Family-mobile

You are here entirely tooo much!! beam514's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wetamup2k3g View Post
    That being said, I was actually asking someone this today, and I have a thought that if a 6G75 bolts up to our transmissions, then the bolt pattern on the transmission in the 4WD Endeavor should bolt up
    After a Mitsubishi engineer at MOD found out how much of a Frankenstein my car was, he started talking to me about using an Endeavor tranny. I still don't think it'll fit very well lol.

EDIT: well I guess I was wrong haha

Originally Posted by wetamup2k3g
    That being said, I was actually asking someone this today, and I have a thought that if a 6G75 bolts up to our transmissions, then the bolt pattern on the transmission in the 4WD Endeavor should bolt up

Quote Originally Posted by beam514 View Post
    After a Mitsubishi engineer at MOD found out how much of a Frankenstein my car was, he started talking to me about using an Endeavor tranny. I still don't think it'll fit very well lol.

so the two of you are saying that if i get an endevour i can mate it to my eclipse tranny to my galant engine and have manual awd on a v6?

if thats a yes its time for cookies and titties......

You are here entirely tooo much!! beam514's Avatar
    No you have to use the Endeavor transmission, which is only available in automatic I guess

I wonder what they (if there is any Mitsu engineers there) will say about my frankenstien when the MOD in Normal rolls around

No you have to use the Endeavor transmission, which is only available in automatic I guess
    wtf, automatic transmissions do not get a man titties and cookies.....why mitsu why must you destroy my life.

It might be a hard task. But I think I want to do something like this to an evo transmission after I'm happily boosted.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/cust...7x-series.html

Lancer/EvolutionX Rotor Glow Paint
    6g74 Forged Engine w/ hx40 turbo
    Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

Why doesnt somebody see if the gear housing on the 6Gxx tranny is the same as the 4Gxx gear housing, meaning bolt pattern the same ect.. That way all you have to do is bolt a 6G bell housing to an evo tranny.. Thats my thought

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

Experienced TGC Member Dominicano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by keith6110 View Post
    It might be a hard task. But I think I want to do something like this to an evo transmission after I'm happily boosted.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/cust...7x-series.html
    wouldn't it be cheaper to fabricate an adapter plate and fine a way to extend the shaft?

youd still have no way of turning the shaft. he designs bell housings that let you mate any rwd tranny to a 6g72 hes got others that he has designed as well for the 6g72. the bellhousing creatin isnt that hard if you have the proper machinery...its rotating the engine and custom mounting it then rewiring the whole bay that will be the hardest part.

using an adaptor and shaft extension means the engine is moved over 10-30mm (which means modifying engine mounts)

not to mention the complications of buying/making a new shaft or making an adaptor thats strong enough.

the top half of the bellhousing /bolt patterns differ across the 4g/6a/6g engines.

4g gearboxes bolt to 6a motors with some small mods, 6g's are vastly different due the the top 4 or 6 bolt positions.

for reference:

4g on the left, 6g on the right
    Last edited by unclepaulie; 07-31-2012 at 09:27 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Dominicano View Post
    wouldn't it be cheaper to fabricate an adapter plate and fine a way to extend the shaft?
    Can't, motor mount moves then and you extend your Axel length on one side and shorten it on the other

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

I have other big plans for my G if i can ever cough up the cash....like twin turbo..i like dreaming big. I never thought i would be 5spd swapped but look at me know. lol
    2002 Galant LS 3.0L V6 5spd, CAI

Experienced TGC Member Dominicano's Avatar
    i was checking this out at GT

http://www.billsautofab.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast