The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Turn Signal have seizures-fast blink

Showing results 1 to 15 of 15

Turn Signal have seizures-fast blink

Not a biggie, more curious than bothered.

Ever since I bought my 2002 Galant The turn signals flash real fast but every once in a while they flash normal. I have cleaned and checked all of the bulbs, sockets and connections for resistance and still the same. I though of a flasher but the signal flash rate is controlled by the computer, no separate flasher. Both left and right do this.

Has anyone else had this problem? I am thinking that maybe there was a CPU mod that changed this that the previous owner did. I could tell that the car used to be pimped out, the lift was still on the front for large rims (which I removed).
    Last edited by shadow83; 07-31-2012 at 02:34 PM
    2002 ES, V6, 140K

are you running LED's in the turn signals? do the signal filaments work on all the lights... usually the fast blink is to let you know one of you bulbs' signal filament is out on that side. also you could have a bad contact in one of the sockets; take out the bulbs one at a time and "pull" the contacts in the sockets so they make better contact.

I dunno if u made sure but make sure fuses are correct amperage rating also.

Quote Originally Posted by bgood12 View Post
    I dunno if u made sure but make sure fuses are correct amperage rating also.
    Huh? That wouldn't make any difference, unless a fuse was actually blowing.

A blown fuse can cause it but having the wrong fuse can also cause it, just double check that other than that I would have to look up the wiring diagram for possible problems.

[QUOTE=bgood12;757692]A blown fuse can cause it but having the wrong fuse can also cause it, but having the wrong fuse can also cause it,[QUOTE]
    No, it cannot. A fuse is like a switch, it is either on or off. If it is blown nothing works, if there is resistance in a fuse it blows which is its purpose. The only thing a fuse rated at too low amps would cause is it to blow sooner. A fuse is a 1/0 component.

All of the bulbs are good as well as the connections. This has been this way for years and has never changed. I was just wondering if there was some mod someone might have done to make this happen since the flash rate is controlled by the CPU and not a stand alone flasher unit or a strange cause that an EE could not fathom.
    Last edited by shadow83; 08-01-2012 at 10:58 AM
    2002 ES, V6, 140K

My bad, I though a overrated fuse would allow too much current and blow bulb and cause other problems

Quote Originally Posted by bgood12 View Post
    My bad, I though a overrated fuse would allow too much current and blow bulb and cause other problems
    Fuses do not limit current, resistors do (they also drop voltage. Both depends upon if they are in parallel or series). Using an overrated fuse is bad news, like putting a penny in an old fuse box, it will cause the wires to burn before the fuse blows. A fuse is a circuit PROTECTION device, it helps avoid a maximum smoke, minimum output result.
    Last edited by shadow83; 08-01-2012 at 11:25 AM
    2002 ES, V6, 140K

no loose connections? if so, it may be the ETACS ECU... that is what controls the blink rate, it is separate from the main computer that controls the engine and transmission (main ECU / CPU). the ETACS ECU is under/behind the steering wheel, located behind the fuse box that is in the cabin accessible by opening the driver's door and removing the trim panel; check the connections there and if everything is correct, you might have to replace the ETACS ECU.
    Last edited by Reelax; 08-01-2012 at 03:30 PM

Make sure you have the correct bulbs and make sure the connectiong are make contact with the bulb.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
    MODS

5 speed swap
    Eibach Pro Kit on GR2 Struts
    Cold Air Intake
    Outlander Intake Manifold
    6G72 V6 Throttle Body
    6G72 V6 Fuel Pump
    Axle Back Exhaust (ebay)
    Evo Fuel Rail
    Evo Radiator
    Rear Disc Swap
    Prothane Motor Mount Inserts

im getting 25mpg city and 30mpg highway untuned!!!

Quote Originally Posted by finald8ta View Post
    Make sure you have the correct bulbs and make sure the connectiong are make contact with the bulb.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
    Yeah, when it blinks fast, have you visually verified that all of the bulbs are on?

OK ALL. Since it has been asked numerous times AND was in my original post:

Quote Originally Posted by shadow83 View Post
    Not a biggie, more curious than bothered.
    I have cleaned and checked all of the bulbs, sockets and connections for resistance and still the same.
    2002 ES, V6, 140K

So that's a yes??????

Lol!!

I too have the same problem right now.
    Its on the passenger side and it does it almost every time.

I didn't check the connection.

That riding light and signal are dim also.

So I guess I should just replace the bulb or bulbs.

Sent from god

i had an issue with my front turn before, i replaced the bulbs and still had an issue,if i pushed the bulb in just alittle it would work, so i took a small flat head screw driver and gently pryed the tabs up so it would make contact with the bulb,

Still didn't really answer my question. When they're blinking quickly, have you actually seen all of the bulbs working? Saying you checked them doesn't mean the same thing.