The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Long distance driving with turbo

Showing results 1 to 15 of 15

Long distance driving with turbo

So I am planning on building my motor and adding a turbo in the future, Ive never had a turbo'd car before only friends with them, I do alot of long distance driving from Vegas to Cali to visit family, to the mountains for snowboarding in the winter, is it bad to do long distance driving with a turbo, will I put alot of stress on it, or can it handle it fine?

I'm far from knowledgeable about turbos, but think about all the cars that come stock with turbos. Turbo'd Subarus last a long time, and there are plenty of turbo diesels out there that drive all over for work purposes. Basically as long as you tune for street and aren't creating a race car, I can't imagine you having any problems with good maintenance.

Thats true I didn't think of that. Thanks

Experienced TGC Member OMEGA PHX's Avatar

The reliability of your car will depend on the quality of the parts you choose (don't go cheap), installation (do it right, do your research, your knowledge), your tune (get a good reputable tuner)and your driving.

4g64T 5spd

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    it will be based on the parts used and the tune mainly. a good tuner can keep the gas mileage good while cruising and make sure there are no gaps in it so you dont run lean or pig rich at times. now you say build your motor, stock rebuild SOHC or build SOHC or DOHC? the more you add the more factors come into play. what turbo, boost levels etc are you planning?
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

Well I plan on doing a dohc head swap and building from the bottom up, new rods, pistons, bolts, etc. I havent researched enough yet to know exactly what size turbo and so forth, ideally would like to have about 300 whp, any suggestions on a good setup? I know ill need new injectors, fuel pump etc to support that much, but as far as turbo any recommendations?

i drive back and forth to the bay area from vegas quite a few time a year to visit family. you'll be fine with the right setup and tuning.
    Brandon - 2001 Galant GST 5speed
    Wiseco // Eagle // PTE // Holset // Turbonetics // Supertech // Blox // Prosport // Vibrant // Innovate // OpenEcu // Mishimoto // Magnaflow // Walbro // XXR // Rotora // Brembo // Hawk // R1 Concepts // Dc Sports

you should be fine, if you're cruising most of the time you'll be out of boost anyways
    02 Galant ES I4 ~ DD. JDM Kit/BBS LM Gold/D2/EvoRecaro/EGR/JL Audio/Eclipse Audio/Greddy/Injen/Project Kics/Brembos
    2010 Lexus IS350c Tungsten Pearl Mica/Volk GTM/H&R Springs/F sport intake/Project Kics/Lems Shift knob
    2010 Lexus IS-F Ultrasonic Blue/Volk TE37/HKS Hipermax IV GT/Ventross Kit/Lexon/JoezPerformance/Tom's/Project Kics/RR-racing tune
    2009 Acura TL w/Tech package A-spec Kit/ BBS LM/Tein

It's going to be all in the tune. seriously. If you are driving from IL which is sea level to Colorado which is 5,280 ft above you are going to need a tune that will work for both altitudes.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

I think really if u are doing this with ecu swap it won't be a problem as tables are prob in stock computer but running this in a stand alone would like he said need you to tune for both cases.

Quote Originally Posted by 4g63lover View Post
    It's going to be all in the tune. seriously. If you are driving from IL which is sea level to Colorado which is 5,280 ft above you are going to need a tune that will work for both altitudes.
    From what Matt told me there is barometric changes made with the ECU that will adjust for the air density.

Not really sure how it works never really looked into it.

You'll be fine. Ball bearing turbo need coolant line to cool down. They use ess oil for lubrication but require coolant to.keep the turbo temp down. Journal bearing turbo are fine with just oil only.

Never had a boosted car in my life, but knowing people who have..as stated tuning is key. Also you might already know but me personally I would wait a while before cutting the car off or just invest in a turbo timer.

Are u gonna run the turbo with the stock motor?
    GWAP STACKIN MAKE'S IT HAPPEN

Quote Originally Posted by GWAPS View Post
    Are u gonna run the turbo with the stock motor?
    Please read all post in the current thread that you are posting in; BEFORE posting questions like this...

Post #9 by SQUARE ONE HIMSELF answers this question in so many ways it baffles my 2yr old child as to how you needed to ask this question.......