The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Clunking sound from rear suspension

Showing results 1 to 5 of 5

Clunking sound from rear suspension

I have 2001 galant 4cyl and it was making clunking noise. I replaced the rear shocks and the noise is now louder than before. I checked all the bolts and they are properly tightened. The only difference I see with my original were factory shocks which had shorter bumper and the new one I put is Monroe strut-mate boot kit which has longer bumper. All fitting was put properly along with new mount kit. The only thing I did not change is the spring insulator which is just a metal piece on the top and the coil. I changed all other parts.

I also have new sway bar links (genuine mitsubishi). All by bushings and control arms and joints are in good shape.

Any idea what could possibly be causing the clunking noise? The clunk is almost like a metal hitting metal. It is driving me crazy as all checks out. I even showed it to 3 different mechanics and could not find anything wrong with rear suspension. I finally decided that I'll change shocks and see if it helps. Looks like changing them made it worse.

Experienced TGC Member OMEGA PHX's Avatar

Check if your exhaust is loose or your muffler looks misaligned, I had a strange clunking metal to metal noise and it was a broken weld on the exhaust

4g64T 5spd

Thanks for the response. I checked muffler and exhaust and all are nice and tight. Nothing touching anywhere. I moved them in all directions. This is happening more at slower speeds (5-35 mph) on not so smooth pavement. At highway speeds it is not noticeable.

check your rear wheel hub assembly!

Nicterims
    I have that problem on my drivers side.I found out that my hub nut was loose like finger tight loose...fixed most of it and the wobble but,now im getting people telling me that the hub is messed up but,there isn't any play in it but,still makes that clink clank noise from the cv's..