The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 01 Instrument Cluster in a 02 Galant

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 27

01 Instrument Cluster in a 02 Galant

Hi everyone, new to the forums and I've already browsed most of the threads on this forum. I just wanted to confirm that I can replace my instrument cluster in my 2002 Galant with one from a 2001 Galant. And also, if it were still possible to correct the mileage on the odometer after I switch them out.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I just realized that I posted this in the wrong forum, I'm sorry for the inconvenience.
    Last edited by Color; 08-06-2012 at 05:22 PM

yes the gauges are interchangeable make sure you're getting an i4 for an i4, or v6 for a v6. The oddometer is located on the back of the gauges and held with a small phillips screw and can be snapped off using a flat head screwdriver. I wish that video that RAZ made a while back was still around.....

Thanks for the quick reply, I'll definitely be making sure that I get a v4 then. Yeah I came across his thread earlier, a bit bummed that the vid's down...is it possible for someone to explain the process on how to correct the mileage?

you just unscrew the odometer and LED display unit from the old cluster and put it in the new one; the mileage is stored in that unit along w/ the trip meter. also it's an "I4" which is short for "Inline 4" cylinder ("V6" is short for "V" configuration 6 cylinder where there are 3 cylinders inline on 2 banks coming together at the bottom making a "V"); there is no V4.
    Last edited by Reelax; 08-06-2012 at 07:56 PM

just remove the odometer from one cluster and put it in the other, its held by screws, pretty self explanitory....or u can just get an 01 overlay and put it on ur 02, unless u want the black cluster

Thanks for the replies guys, and thanks for cluing me in to the whole i4, v6 thing. As you can tell I'm a new owner of a 2002 galant and it's my first car. I really appreciate the help, and I hope to learn much from these forums.

Thanks again,
    Max

Temp gauges read differently between the 99-01 vs 02-03....

Deez, thanks for the information, will that be a serious issue? I'm just wondering if anyone else had done a similar swap on their 2002 galant and how it went, as the blue gauges are getting to me.

i've seen people put the 01 black bezel overlay on their 02-03 and just get some gauge overlays

Hmm, well anything will work, I just mainly want to get rid of the blue and for the dash to look clean. I also wanted the option to switch out my gauges with the s7. What do you think is the cheapest and easiest way to do so? Also if anyone could point me in a direction to where I could purchase these overlays, it would be much appreciated. I already checked out ebay but couldn't find anything.

Quote Originally Posted by QnzMostWanted View Post
    i've seen people put the 01 black bezel overlay on their 02-03 and just get some gauge overlays
    if the OP just wants to get the look of the '99-'01 guages and current unit works, no need to replace cluster... the above method is probably the best way to get the look, and cheaper than cluster replacement too.

here's what u'll need:

gauge bezel

EL/reverse EL gauge faces

there are numerous colors and styles available for both the bezel and the guages if you want to make it look different than stock.

Thanks all, I found some gauge bezels on ebay, however the only one I found in black goes for a pricey $32 + shipping. Nothing lower than $22 including shipping. Am I looking in the right place?

Man, hit up the Crazy Ray's on Rt 1 outside of Jessup, they usually have tons of Galants, and if you got some tools a bezel probably should be about 10 bucks.

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

So deeznuts said says the temp gauges read differently can anyone give me info on that, I too will be switching to an 99-01 cluster. Will the temp gauge be a problem

It not that big of a problem the resistor in the circuit boards are different, for example if you took a 03 cluster and stuck it in a 99 your temp would read slightly above the half way mark instead of slightly below the half way whitch is the normal position. That is all...
    Last edited by deeznutz; 08-09-2012 at 07:00 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Reelax View Post
    if the OP just wants to get the look of the '99-'01 guages and current unit works, no need to replace cluster... the above method is probably the best way to get the look, and cheaper than cluster replacement too.

here's what u'll need:

gauge bezel

EL/reverse EL gauge faces

there are numerous colors and styles available for both the bezel and the guages if you want to make it look different than stock.
    That would be the best n cheapest way to go about it...

Edit: I always get my indy glows from pcp the are very reliable and priced well...
    Last edited by deeznutz; 08-09-2012 at 07:25 PM

DRYBEAR found another difference that you might want to know about becuase if you swap you will need to deal with this as well:

Quote Originally Posted by DryBear View Post
    yeah, you can use the 99-01 cluster in the 02-03, but the warning lights on the left side are in all different places. I had to print up a custom cover onto a transparency sheet to replace the ones on the gauges:
    (click thumbnail for larger view)

NOTE: the bottom black strip goes on top of the strip that has the icons/wording, so that they get blacked out when off. They light up fine still. Could alternately use a scrap of tint film.

Am in the process of reworking them:

I have them is Photoshop PSD format set at the correct size for printing - send me a PM if you need it.

That's weird I find that to be false here's why
    99 cluster

03 cluster

could it be a difference from a cluster that was from a traction control car and one that is not? that seems to be the difference from looking at the pictures in DRYBEAR's post.

I'm not to sure about that it might ring true I know when I did my i4 to v6 swap both clusters came from 99's and they were exactly the same with the exception of the rpm gauge. But then again they were both ES trims whitch didn't come with traction control. If you look at the gauges themselves they both have the traction control windows. I'm a bit stumped in this one.... Anyone have a traction controlled G willing to pull their cluster to test the theory?

Edit why wouldn't drybear just swap it from another cluster vs having it made it Dosent make sence to me?
    Last edited by deeznutz; 08-09-2012 at 08:11 PM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast