The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Gauges

Showing results 1 to 16 of 16

Gauges

So I got new gauges to go over my stock ones, Ive read other threads about how to install them but mine came with this thing. The gauges have little plugs that plug into the black and white wires, then there what Im assuming is a dimmer, then there is a red and black wire. Just want to make sure before I install them, Im assuming black is the ground, where should I connect the red wire to. Can I get to the wire that goes to the stock headlight switch, so that when I turn the headlights on, the gauges come on like normal?

Also I bought a gauge bezel since I have an 02, what is everyone using to secure it, double sided tape? If so which kind, I know I don't want to use the grey 3M automotive double sided tape cause thats what I used for the emblems on the car and that would be a pain to take off. But I don't know if the normal white 3m double sided tape from home depot would be strong enough.

Wire the positive to the green and white wire on the stock dimmer switch. There's a bolt behind the insturment cluster you can use as ground. You can only see the bolt once you remove the cluster but it's right there. You can't miss it. Using this wiring method the gauges will come on and go off with the stock illumination.

awesome, thank you for the info. I will hook them up tomorrow hopefully, depending on time.

Icon13

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanJambo View Post
    Wire the positive to the green and white wire on the stock dimmer switch. There's a bolt behind the insturment cluster you can use as ground. You can only see the bolt once you remove the cluster but it's right there. You can't miss it. Using this wiring method the gauges will come on and go off with the stock illumination.
    Wrong you should not wire it to the dimmer, Indy glow gauges have their own dimmer for a reason and it's because the power converter requires 12 volts all the time if voltage is lowered you risk burning out the converter with less than 12 volts. Find the parking light wire constant 12v when its turned on no less!!!!

ok I will go that route then, thank you for the info. do you know what color the parking light wire is?

Quote Originally Posted by deeznutz View Post
    Wrong you should not wire it to the dimmer, Indy glow gauges have their own dimmer for a reason and it's because the power converter requires 12 volts all the time if voltage is lowered you risk burning out the converter with less than 12 volts. Find the parking light wire constant 12v when its turned on no less!!!!
    Except that the green/white wire is the power INTO the dimmer switch. It is a constant 12v that is only hot when you turn the lights on and it is not controlled by the dimmer switch. The gauges will be unaffected by the dimmer control when you power them with the green/white wire. So I'm actually not wrong. It was "QnzMostWanted" who actually gave me the tip to use the green/white input into the dimmer swtich and it worked perfectly when I installed my gauges. They light up awesome and are NOT controlled by the dimmer switch.

Last edited by AmericanJambo; 08-08-2012 at 12:08 PM

if that the case then no your not i used a different location to splice mine in i never had a reason to mess with the dimmer nor even look at it so thats news to me...

Ok so I have my cluster out, im pretty positive this is the ground bolt you are talking about.

and is this the wire I need to splice into?

That's right on both accounts. That's the bolt I used to ground and the green/white wire is the one you want to tap. It's the constant 12v input into the dimmer. Since it's the input it's unaffected by the dimmer switch.

Thank you for all the information, looks like im gonna have to get an 99-01 gauge cluster, I put everything on and because of the little plug that comes off the bottom of the gauges and the thin aluminum bezel I bought from ebay, it makes it too thick for the clips from the black plastic piece and the clear cover that goes on to fully clip in and seat properly.

Ebay has a bunch listed.

Quote Originally Posted by SquareOne View Post
    Thank you for all the information, looks like im gonna have to get an 99-01 gauge cluster, I put everything on and because of the little plug that comes off the bottom of the gauges and the thin aluminum bezel I bought from ebay, it makes it too thick for the clips from the black plastic piece and the clear cover that goes on to fully clip in and seat properly.
    notch the cover to run the wires and still allow the cover to snap on or drill holes for the wires to some out of the cluster on top. so many people have successfully done this mod to their '02+ USDM 8G's that we know it can be done. if ur cluster is working, there really is no need to go get a '99-'01 cluster. btw, just so u know, if u tapped into the dimmer harness, the gauge faces will not work until you plug the dimmer rheostat back into the harness.

here is a '2+ cluster w/ bezel and S7 gauges:

also found this by searching tgc:

Quote Originally Posted by DryBear View Post
    yeah, you can use the 99-01 cluster in the 02-03, but the warning lights on the left side are in all different places. I had to print up a custom cover onto a transparency sheet to replace the ones on the gauges:
    (click thumbnail for larger view)

NOTE: the bottom black strip goes on top of the strip that has the icons/wording, so that they get blacked out when off. They light up fine still. Could alternately use a scrap of tint film.

Am in the process of reworking them:

I have them is Photoshop PSD format set at the correct size for printing - send me a PM if you need it.

Cool I'll probably need it then. I'll pm you when I get the cluster. I think the reason it won't work with my 02 cluster is because the bezel I have comes all te way down and around all of the warning lights as well, and with that and the plugs that come off the gauges it makes too thick for me to snap all of the clips back in. I did notch the sides so that the wires were not pinched.

did you read the part of the post where i quoted DRYBEAR? the warning lights are in a different order between '99-'01 and '02-'03, so switching clusters will cause problems you may not be able to workaround.

I did see that. There is another post about switching clusters as well and it shows pictures of both stock clusters with the lights in the same spot.