The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: P0442 evap

Showing results 1 to 4 of 4

P0442 evap

First off I want to say hi to everyone here at TGC as this is my first post. I was on my way home from work today and the CEL came on. I get home, hook up the OBD II and it shows a P0442 code which turns out to be an EVAP leak. I checked the gas cap which is less than a year old, and it was tight. Anyone know what else it could be? The car has 148,000 miles on it.

I had it a couple times in my g, it happened when it got cold out, and them it never came back, and thus was over a period of a yr lol. Just wait it out. I think my was the pressure relief solenoid? Doesn't matter now, no emissions! Lol

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

Welcome to TGC!! Evap leaks are hard to trace out sometimes, it could be anything that is part of the evap system. Me personally I'd clear the code and see if it comes back, I had an evap code one time, cleared it and never saw it again ever. If it comes back you do have a problem and I think you have to have a small compressor pressurize the evap system and then trace out where the pressurized air is leaking from IIRC. If you need to pass emissions I'd shop it, but that's me. Good luck!

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

Luckily we don't have to pass emissions tests in Illinois, at least not yet. Thank goodness, cause my diesel truck would never pass! LOL
    2000 Galant 3.0L