The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: A/C Compressor issues?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 61

A/C Compressor issues?

i just got a 2002 Galant LS and the a/c did not work when i first got it. i would turn it on and it would nearly stall the car then disengage and the a/c light would start flashing. so i took it to a friend with a nice a/c gauge saturday and when i turned the a/c on the guage was nearly pegged in the red, so we evacuated the excess freon until its was in the green and the system worked fine for the most part, it blows cold air when its first turned on and the air is a little warmer at idle but still cool. today i was idling the car 5 minutes after turning on the a/c the car started struggling seems on/off on/off etc, it was too bright to see if the a/c light was flashing but the struggling stopped as soon as the a/c was turned off. i have attempted to run the system after and seems to work fiine again but im done running it until i fix this issue..

this is a V6 model

any ideas??
    Last edited by phatboyslim12; 08-13-2012 at 11:40 AM

bump...

anybody have an idea?

sound like the compresser itself is starting to lock up and will need to be replaced. the only part of the ac that stalls the engine is the compresser, the rest of the system will just affect wether you get cold air or not.

Quote Originally Posted by jubeiaire View Post
    sound like the compresser itself is starting to lock up and will need to be replaced. the only part of the ac that stalls the engine is the compresser, the rest of the system will just affect wether you get cold air or not.
    i replaced my o2 b1 s2 today, andd the cel doest turn on now, but i thinkim begining to notice a pattern.

im not 100% sure but when i turn the A/C on it runs for a few minutes then runs rough and the cel illuminates, codes are bank 1 warmup catylist below efficiency, bank 2 warmup catylist below efficiency, and the random missfire code...

can this all be related in a wierd way?? i have started the car and drove it 7 times after i reset the system and the cel hasnt come back on with the a/c off...

im about ready to buy new cats, and on top of the timing belt ima do soon its super pricey so if it could be related ill pull the compressor relay till i replace it.

Iac will wit ac on will stall your car.

yea? ever see the symptoms above?? i think its very strange...

Well yea I had that on an i4, the light didn't flicker but ac would stall the car. When you make hard turns like full turn right does the car want to stall also? Or if its a cool morning does the car surge at idle? If so its the iac. Other than that they are right and it Could be that you need new accessory belt, or that the compressor belt is ceasing up and either you need new compressor or to lubricate the wheel. The good things is that changing the accessory belt and taking out compressor etc is not terribe.

the car runs great when the a/c is off, no issues with steering or anything and when i turn the a/c on it does blow pretty cold air, just after a minute or so the car will run rough and the cel will turn on, with p0420, p0421, and if im right p0300"or random miss code".

the car does not stall out just runs rough like its struggling, also no belt sqeel or anything, there is a belt hum when i first turn the car on for the first time of the day. but i think its the timing belt, "i had the timing belt itself checked for wear etc, says looks older but not cracked broken etc."

im trying to find out why im getting the cat codes etc with this because i think its very strange, im going to call the shop and let them know my issue, they already know it runs rough but the codes are an updated symptom since the o2 b1s2 just got replaced by them friday morning
    Last edited by phatboyslim12; 08-18-2012 at 06:27 PM

You can always run a smaller belt and bypass it...

Sent from god

Alright so no other ideas? And if the humming sound is coming from the compressor when I first start tbthe car I will delete it from the belt till I fix it, does the parts stores offer a non ac. V6 belt like most other cars?

Quote Originally Posted by phatboyslim12 View Post
    Alright so no other ideas? And if the humming sound is coming from the compressor when I first start tbthe car I will delete it from the belt till I fix it, does the parts stores offer a non ac. V6 belt like most other cars?
    I doubt it. What you gotta do is get a piece of string and wrap it around the crank pulley and the power steering pulley and this is the size of belt you need.

Take it with you (the string) along with the old belt and try to get a belt as close as possible.

Btw I'm 99% sure you need a new compressor. Its so close to fall just forget about it till spring and bypass it.

Try arctic air on eBay for a new compressor got mine for $119.00 shipped! Gd luck man.

Sent from god

If you do the string thing then you will know for sure if it's the compressor causing all your problems or not too...

Please update this thread with your findings:)

Sent from god

i will keep up to date, but the humming only happens the first time i start the car and goes away after driving for a few, so that i cannot update till tomoroow

i will keep up to date, but the humming only happens the first time i start the car and goes away after driving for a few, so that i cannot update till tomoroow
    Cool now get off line and get to work;)

Sent from god

haha i gotta get cash in 20 mins then get to work haa and im starting a new thread bout my loose ball joint lol...

Quote Originally Posted by Hevymetalg View Post
    Cool now get off line and get to work;)

Sent from god
    update:

so i went to measure for the new belt and it will not work as the belt will rub at the tensioner my only choice is to pull the compressor and run a bypass pulley till spring, i didnt want to evac the a/c system but something has to happen since its getting louder when ifirst start the car and im begining to smell burning belt "only when starting the first time each day"

update:

so i went to measure for the new belt and it will not work as the belt will rub at the tensioner my only choice is to pull the compressor and run a bypass pulley till spring, i didnt want to evac the a/c system but something has to happen since its getting louder when ifirst start the car and im begining to smell burning belt "only when starting the first time each day"
    Get a used compressor off eBay I did for $50 shipped! Works perfect for 3years so far

Sent from god

Quote Originally Posted by Hevymetalg View Post
    Get a used compressor off eBay I did for $50 shipped! Works perfect for 3years so far

Sent from god
    ill have to try that, but i think ima use a bypass until i can buy the compressor as it needs a timing belt pretty bad as it has 216,000 miles and i dont know how long its been, so i have save for that right now, unless the temporary bypass is more than what the compressors gonna be...

update bump:

so i took a good look this morning and the humming whine is coming from the timing belt, not the compressor, and the pulley spins fine on the compressor.

i did notice the distributor cap is cracked on the top where the highest bolt fastens it too the engine, it also looks pretty old so my guess is that is worn out causing the missfire and possibly spitting a little fuel into the cats causing the catylist codes... this is only my guess, all i know for sure is that when i get a missfire i also get a catylist code not far after... is it possible that the compressor is fine and the miss is worse than it seems and just more noticeable when the a/c is on???

i already purchased a new cap and rotor and when i get some time to change it ill run the a/c after the install and see if there is any change, it may also need plugs but that seems like a huge project, lol. and i have to do the valve cover anyway so when i get all the stuff needed ill do the plugs then.
    Last edited by phatboyslim12; 08-23-2012 at 12:17 PM

Perhaps its time for a tune up. Just get belt done get ne distributor etc.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast