The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Best type of oil for 2.0 GDI Galant gen8?

Showing results 1 to 20 of 20

Best type of oil for 2.0 GDI Galant gen8?

Hi guys,

I need your expertise on this. I'm driving in a warm country and in need of oil change for my 2.0 GDI engine. Should i go fully synthetic or semi? Also which would be best for this car?

This is the 4 speed auto supersaloon version. And since it's na, i was thinking of going fully synthetic instead.

Please give me some suggestions as i've searched the forum for maintainence on this engine but there is none.

Thanks!

My opinion, if im not mistaken this going fully synthetic means u can change ur oil above every 3000 miles I run a non syn oil & do my oil changes every 3k. If u have the big bucks i would go with mobile 1 fully syn. But either way do ur oil changes every 3k no matter 1 kind of oil u use. Btw wht oil weight r u using? if ur using 5w-30 thats wht the galants call 4 i believe when ur n a warmer climate area it takes lestime 4 ur engine to break down the viscosity of the oil if that makes since.
    GWAP STACKIN MAKE'S IT HAPPEN

^^^ Im having a hard time reading your posts.

@Zarfrost
    So you are saying that because the engine is naturally aspirated you are gonna run synthetic and if it were boosted you wouldn't?

To answer you in short 10w-40 would be just fine. Whether you want to spend the extra cash on better oil its up to you, your engine will benefit from any oil thats a step up from conventional.

On a side note you don't have to have "big bucks" to use good lubricants, 5 quart jug of synthetic oil runs roughly $30 plus a decent $7 filter like Wix, you are looking at $40 with tax. The local quick lubes charge 19.95 plus tax and disposal fees, and your right under $30... for crappy house conventional oil.
    Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by oakrdrs187; 08-13-2012 at 11:57 PM

Also for that gdi make sure u keep clean fuel in it as high grade as u can. How do you do on gas mileage? I was almost interested in attempting a gdi conversion or swap.

First of all, thanks Gwaps for the info. I changed the oil to fully synthetic 5W-40W and it seems to be doing great so far. Ran off from work early to do it. lol

oakrdrs.... well i currently have 2 galants. One is a 7G liftback which i fitted in a 6a13tt and converted the front to an 8g. I only use semi syn on that one for the moment. I'll try to upload some pics of it. I converted it to a single turbo using the Greddy AR60 turbo.... not advisable at all. So far the semi syn works well with the engine that's the reason why. Also heard that fully syn will burn the oil faster? Not sure about that but to be on the safe side

bgood 12: currently i'm running on octane95 as recommended on the fuel cap. There was a big 95 octane sticker in it so i've been running that fuel. So far, a full tank (50 liters) of pure town driving in mad traffic on a daily basis gives me 430km where as the 6a13 only gives me 200km for 30 liters in town traffic. I only drive the other one on weekends. :)

Turbo cars run hotter than NA and for that reason alone you should be using better and thicker oils. 40 weight is just fine.

I'd stay away from semi-synthetic oils for both your cars! I run 2 cars with 6A13TT engines and the factory spec in 1996 was 5W-30 full-synth. However, if there would have been a 0W-30 back then, Mitsi would certainly have recommended that. Many, many 8G Galant/Legnum VR4 owners from the clubvr4.com forums and on our dutch GalantFans.nl forum use Amsoil 0W-30 full-synth. It's currently considered the best oil for these engines. And then there is the hydraulic lifters / tappets noise (a Mitsu thing) which can be prevented and sometimes even cured by using a GOOD full-synth oil. GOOD because brand X full-synth isn't simply the same as Brand Y full-synth oil. Second best to Amsoil is Castrol. For a GDI engine I'd be just as picky considering these puppies run lean and have tendency to build up carbon gunk easily so keeping it running smoothly and additional oil-gunk-build-up (easy from dino-/semi-oils!) should be avoided!

Quote Originally Posted by marksanne View Post
    I'd stay away from semi-synthetic oils for both your cars! I run 2 cars with 6A13TT engines and the factory spec in 1996 was 5W-30 full-synth. However, if there would have been a 0W-30 back then, Mitsi would certainly have recommended that. Many, many 8G Galant/Legnum VR4 owners from the clubvr4.com forums and on our dutch GalantFans.nl forum use Amsoil 0W-30 full-synth. It's currently considered the best oil for these engines. And then there is the hydraulic lifters / tappets noise (a Mitsu thing) which can be prevented and sometimes even cured by using a GOOD full-synth oil. GOOD because brand X full-synth isn't simply the same as Brand Y full-synth oil. Second best to Amsoil is Castrol. For a GDI engine I'd be just as picky considering these puppies run lean and have tendency to build up carbon gunk easily so keeping it running smoothly and additional oil-gunk-build-up (easy from dino-/semi-oils!) should be avoided!
    Wow ur right... The tappet sound on my 6a13 is horrendous. I think I'll go with ur advise and change the oil to see if it can help reduce the sound. This new 8g I got I intend to do future mods like fitting the evo8 engine into it. But that will nd to wait at least another few more years... Half cuts inmy country are really exp not to mention the car prices.

Thanks alot for the info... Btw how do u solve that tappet sound?

Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    Turbo cars run hotter than NA and for that reason alone you should be using better and thicker oils. 40 weight is just fine.
    I'm now checking to see how the car reacts. Thanks again for the advice... Just realized nobody posted anything bout the 2.0 Gdi here in this forum like power upgrades, etc... Any reason for that?

Not very many of us on the board have them.

Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    ^^^ Im having a hard time reading your posts.

@Zarfrost
    So you are saying that because the engine is naturally aspirated you are gonna run synthetic and if it were boosted you wouldn't?

To answer you in short 10w-40 would be just fine. Whether you want to spend the extra cash on better oil its up to you, your engine will benefit from any oil thats a step up from conventional.

On a side note you don't have to have "big bucks" to use good lubricants, 5 quart jug of synthetic oil runs roughly $30 plus a decent $7 filter like Wix, you are looking at $40 with tax. The local quick lubes charge 19.95 plus tax and disposal fees, and your right under $30... for crappy house conventional oil.
    Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
    I tried 2 explain it the best way possible

Quote Originally Posted by zarafrost View Post
    First of all, thanks Gwaps for the info. I changed the oil to fully synthetic 5W-40W and it seems to be doing great so far. Ran off from work early to do it. lol

oakrdrs.... well i currently have 2 galants. One is a 7G liftback which i fitted in a 6a13tt and converted the front to an 8g. I only use semi syn on that one for the moment. I'll try to upload some pics of it. I converted it to a single turbo using the Greddy AR60 turbo.... not advisable at all. So far the semi syn works well with the engine that's the reason why. Also heard that fully syn will burn the oil faster? Not sure about that but to be on the safe side

bgood 12: currently i'm running on octane95 as recommended on the fuel cap. There was a big 95 octane sticker in it so i've been running that fuel. So far, a full tank (50 liters) of pure town driving in mad traffic on a daily basis gives me 430km where as the 6a13 only gives me 200km for 30 liters in town traffic. I only drive the other one on weekends. :)
    thanx man let me know if u have any other ?'S

I'm not boosting so I run that 5w-30 all day errrrday lol

so how do u get rid of the tapping sound frm the lifters when u 1st start the 8g?

What I use is the Shell Helix 10w-40 oil and it works great. I also live in a Tropical climate. Never had the issue of noisy lifters. Alot of guys from where I'm from use the Shell Helix without any problems.
    Dw@r!k@

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby~d View Post
    What I use is the Shell Helix 10w-40 oil and it works great. I also live in a Tropical climate. Never had the issue of noisy lifters. Alot of guys from where I'm from use the Shell Helix without any problems.
    Hei which country u from? I'll try shell on my next change of oil for the 6a13. Running fully synthetic?

that noise happens in colder climates 4 some reason mines does that frm time 2 time lol. Gotdamn lifters lmao rofl.

Tuning GDI engines is not something anyone should want to achieve. They're built for economy, they aren't and will never be performance engines. I've never seen any performance mod for any of the GDI engines (1.8/2.0/2.4) in all the years I've been an 8G enthausist. The only difference in 'performance' is the JDM ECU's are tuned to have slightly better performance because of the RON100 fuel. In europe they're downtuned to cope better with RON95 fuel. But even this diffence isn't worthwile the effort/cost.

Quote Originally Posted by zarafrost View Post
    Hei which country u from? I'll try shell on my next change of oil for the 6a13. Running fully synthetic?
    I'm from Trinidad and Tobago and I have a 4G94 GDI engine it's a 4 cylinder 2.0 na engine. This is a picture of the oil that I use.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Bobby~d; 08-17-2012 at 02:57 AM
    Dw@r!k@

Quote Originally Posted by marksanne View Post
    Tuning GDI engines is not something anyone should want to achieve. They're built for economy, they aren't and will never be performance engines. I've never seen any performance mod for any of the GDI engines (1.8/2.0/2.4) in all the years I've been an 8G enthausist. The only difference in 'performance' is the JDM ECU's are tuned to have slightly better performance because of the RON100 fuel. In europe they're downtuned to cope better with RON95 fuel. But even this diffence isn't worthwile the effort/cost.
    Yeah seems legit.... Possible to just do a few minor changes like changing an s-flow muffler and changing to K&N drop ins?

im currently restoring my mitzi G VIII 1999 GLS, and get about 430 miles per tank 50L: i use Castrol Edge full synthetic, restored all ignition parts with new. replaced nearly everthing except engine block.
    Last edited by jhspongebob; 07-12-2018 at 06:42 AM