The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Boost for 9g 2.4

Showing results 1 to 18 of 18
    DjFlav3

Boost for 9g 2.4

Looked around a lil bit anyone got any info on a turbo setup for us. My g is an 09 2.4, I'm tryin to see if anyone makes a kit or there's a company that fabs for the 9g's. And lastly I know our motors can hold at least low psi numbers does anyone have any experience with the 4 speed auto with boost? Anything but flamin appreciated lol

most turbo kits will be DIY, u can look into evo turbo's as the manifolds should bolt up to your 4g69 motor...as far as everything else, the same setup as it would be on an 8g should be the same for you

DjFlav3
    Thanks for the quick response I'll definitely look into the Evo manifolds as your saying they'll bolt right up. I have knowledge of cars just new to the galant scene. Just never had a car that I'd have to do a custom set up turbo wise. If you get a chance to explain how I'd start that it'd be appreciated. Thanks again

club4g.org has info on 2.4 FI/SC engines if you want to see good examples for your platform try visiting there.

Yeah, I will eventually do this too. But see, you need to prepare your engine. Like mine, right now, about 150K miles (about 100K of that is highway) on her, I will definitely need to clean everything and pretty much just do a complete overhaul. And that's before we get into higher pressures. Now, for you, since its only a 2009, you should be fine. But it depends on how much boost your wantin. Because stock, our engines can probably handle about 8 or so PSI. Now, anymore than that without upgrading the internals would be too risky. Also, you would probably want an intercooler no matter what PSI your wanting. So you gotta get one of those, or make one. But no matter what, don't be stupid, or cheap. Because cheap can lead to more expensive stuff later on. And if your wanting a turbo, because of the difficulty of doing one on our Galant's, I say go big or go home. Now, on club4g, there's a topic that an awesome member created (his name is stayer) and he is the only person I know who actually completed his own custom turbo kit, it hit about 14 PSI, then a couple things went to hell (minor, thankfully). And that's with stock internals and no intercooler. You should check out his thread, it will really help. And I'm sorry if I rambled on too much, you did say you know cars, so if I annoyed you by just saying stuff you already know, I'm sorry.

Experienced TGC Member OMEGA PHX's Avatar

As far as I know evo/dsm manifolds don't bolt up to 4g69's the flanges are completely different, you guys share the same engine present on the 4cyl. 4g eclipses and 04-06 lancer ralliarts, this parts should work (but they are designed for the lancers)

Turbo manifold: http://roadracemotorsports.com/store...oducts_id=1102

Turbo kit (you'll probably need to modify things): http://roadracemotorsports.com/store...oducts_id=1102
    Last edited by OMEGA PHX; 08-14-2012 at 09:23 PM

4g64T 5spd

thanks for that, i thought it fell into the same series as the 4g motors using the same flanges

DjFlav3
    No not annoyed at all here, all the responses are greatly appreciated and filled with good info. I'll definitely check that forum and those sites out. As always tgc n the members never disappoint. Thanks again

Ah, here it is, the thread from Stayer showing his steps on a 9G 2.4L Galant:

http://club4g.org/board/gs/30237-sta...-kit-4g69.html

And then this one, but I think its on the 4G Eclipse (I actually just found this looking for Stayer's thread), same engine, so it should be the same, but, its not a Galant (which might make somethings a little different) :

http://club4g.org/board/gs/20871-pro...-pictures.html

I hope I helped.

I just wanna comment on one this. Its the stupidest thing to not run an intercooler with any Turbo set up. I am sure its been done before with no problems but why risk anything especially since u r sinking so much money into custom work and all.
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64T (Samantha)
    '01 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (Daily)
    '02 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '91 Volvo 740 Turbo B230FT (SOLD)
    '88 Mitsubishi Mighty Max (SOLD)
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

Quote Originally Posted by spdracr View Post
    I just wanna comment on one this. Its the stupidest thing to not run an intercooler with any Turbo set up. I am sure its been done before with no problems but why risk anything especially since u r sinking so much money into custom work and all.
    Exactly.

DjFlav3
    Yea I've never heard of anyone runnin without an intercooler

Guys, I want to clarify. My project will be intercooler. At the moment assembled a pilot instance. This is necessary for writing the program engine control, pressure control, etc. In the final version, the pressure will not exceed 6 PSI. On this site I also planned to open this topic. If interested, I'll do it immediately. Here are a couple of photos. My 9G

Last edited by stayer; 08-20-2012 at 01:03 AM
    Turbo - it is a snail, but the bitch is very fast.

Quote Originally Posted by stayer View Post
    On this site I also planned to open this topic. If interested, I'll do it immediately.
    Just to 4G forum guys really ready to install a turbo kit on their cars. Some of my projects have already been completed on the site. TGC information only. So I opened this topic on the first 4G forum
    Turbo - it is a snail, but the bitch is very fast.

Awesome work stayer!

Sucks that there is no just buy a regular kit. I was really hoping for this. How many modifications would need to be done to actually get a turbo into a 2.4 9g

Quote Originally Posted by 12GaugeMule View Post
    Sucks that there is no just buy a regular kit. I was really hoping for this. How many modifications would need to be done to actually get a turbo into a 2.4 9g
    Well, for starters, get forged everything (which is also a DIY project, as I don't think there's any manufacturer that makes forged anything for either engine... if I'm wrong, show me a link where I can buy them all lol), then, you gotta get a Link ECU setup that's tuned properly for it, next, you'll want to rig up a tranny oil cooler because we need one already even naturally aspirated, a custom built header design that allows a turbo to fit, then there's a custom blow off valve you'll need (again, could be wrong here, but if so please provide a link for ones that'll work on our setup), also a custom intercooler (I'm almost positive there's no manufacturer one), replace the plastic spark plug cover with something that wont fall apart under load, make sure all the hoses are tightly secure and wont snap off, a port and polish wont hurt either, a custom down pipe, some thermo gaskets, and there could probably be more, I just can't think of anything else off the top of my head right now, but it's a start. Or you can skip all of the above and just get the custom turbo so you can do what I bet half the teenagers I know would do and completely destroy a good engine. This is definitely a long list and could still be longer, a lot needs to go into an engine before you turbo it so it can run fine and proper. I hope I helped.

Experienced TGC Member OMEGA PHX's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by #1GALANTFAN View Post
    Well, for starters, get forged everything (which is also a DIY project, as I don't think there's any manufacturer that makes forged anything for either engine... if I'm wrong, show me a link where I can buy them all lol), then, you gotta get a Link ECU setup that's tuned properly for it, next, you'll want to rig up a tranny oil cooler because we need one already even naturally aspirated, a custom built header design that allows a turbo to fit, then there's a custom blow off valve you'll need (again, could be wrong here, but if so please provide a link for ones that'll work on our setup), also a custom intercooler (I'm almost positive there's no manufacturer one), replace the plastic spark plug cover with something that wont fall apart under load, make sure all the hoses are tightly secure and wont snap off, a port and polish wont hurt either, a custom down pipe, some thermo gaskets, and there could probably be more, I just can't think of anything else off the top of my head right now, but it's a start. Or you can skip all of the above and just get the custom turbo so you can do what I bet half the teenagers I know would do and completely destroy a good engine. This is definitely a long list and could still be longer, a lot needs to go into an engine before you turbo it so it can run fine and proper. I hope I helped.
    You really need to do some research....
    DIY forged pistons..... Look at my post above, there's already forged pistons and turbo manifolds for that engine.

Custom BOV...... you would need custom piping and the take any bov already on the market and have the needed flange welded on the pipe.

4g64T 5spd