The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Abs brake and battery light

Showing results 1 to 17 of 17

Abs brake and battery light

I happened to look down at my dash and noticed my ABS BRAKE and BATTERY LIGHT all were on at the same time as I was pulling into my driveway. I have a 2007 es with 60000 miles on it. I know one battery terminal has some corrosion on it which I will scrape off tomorrow. Does this sound like an alternator problem? (hope not) Please respond.

it might just be bad battery connection causing the car to go through the start up routine where the warning lights go on then after the system checks itself they go off. fix that terminal first then see if the lights go away after you let the car idle for a few minutes.

I will try tommorow, will post what happens

Update. Completely cleaned terminals. Tightened and checked all connections. 1st start car fired up fine only battery light on. Shut it off started it again was noticeably a weaker start. Started it for a third time felt very weak. I noticed LCD also said e com error. I shut it off let it sit for 2 hours.trying starting click click click nothing. Additional information dome lights all seem normal strength. Only thing I can think of is bad alternator..any info guys??

Could be a failed alternator. I recently worked on a V6 8G which has the brake and battery light flickering, and I found that it was the connector at thew alternator had a shorted pin, so the connector and regulator on the alternator are not making good contact, so at idle the alternator is at 15V. Basically the alternator is always charging and the car is fooled into thinking the alternator is bad because the pins aren't making good contact.

They are just waiting for the alternator to completely go out to change it for a new one.

Your car is kinda new to have alternator problems (not saying its impossible though). My money is on a bad battery, once they can no longer hold a charge there's nothing the alternator can do for it. You can get them both tested, but I'd go with the battery first. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk fam!

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

Thanks fellas will update tomorrow or Friday after I test battery.

That's sounding like a bad battery. You should check that first.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    Dw@r!k@

I vote bad battery. Its typical that a battery that is shorted can cause symptoms of a bad alternator. Look at the battery casing, does it seem swollen? If so, then that coupled with the corrosion on the battery terminal should lead to being a bad battery. It would be prudent however, to get the electrical and charging system checked.

Had battery tested it passed 100%. I have an old cheapy multimeter, and after starting car it wasnt showing any stats for alternator. shut car off and it fired up just fine battery light still on in dash. So im left thinking its alternator... Anybody have any other input/could email me the section for alternator removal out of Hayes repair manual or something.

Go to autozone.com make an account and they have the repair manual for our cars is on there to find it faster make you account, log in, then search for alternator and on right side of screen it will say repair manual alternator its free also. Or you can search on here for the pdf version its on here I would use google to help you find it on tgc if ur on your phone. Goodluck.

Tried AutoZone they do not have repair manual for 9g. Searched this site could only find service tech manual not repair manual. Any help?

are the lights on your dash dimming? if so it could be a cam shaft positioning sensor

Final Update - Had alternator replaced problem solved and car is running better than ever. Had a mobile mechanic repair it done in 1 hour,.everything for $245. If anyone in Columbus Ohio needs a mobile repair contact me for his details,.I highly recommend him. Now maybe someone can use my first post as a possible diagnosis for their galant.

I win! Lol. Glad you got it fixed.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

hah yes, thanks man I am to. I just got an alpine type r 12 and 800 watt mono audiobahn amp the week before and was like shit! At least it went out before me putting speakers in lol.

Hey, I'm glad everything worked out for ya! Kinda reminded me of a problem I had once. Glad it wasn't too expensive either, a brand new alternator can be expensive.