The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: HUD retrofit is done.

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11

HUD retrofit is done.

Ok first I have wanted to do this for a while but was not sure. I finally added a Heads up Display(HUD) to my 8g. First I had to see how the unit works. the most used heads up displays are GM models, and can be found as far back as 94 grand prix and 96-current corvettes, both as an option. So i checked the pontiac forums and saw that the unit just wires into the electrical contact to display lights for low gas, high beams, turn signal, mph, radio, and a "check engine" light for any coolant temp, low oil etc.

I had to delete the radio wire cause it runs through the special wire provided by the gm radio, I would have attempted to make it work but I don't use the radio so egh. I also deleted the high beam. I found the correct two wires of the high beam but the way the circuit works in our cars i had the high beam light stay on all the time and turn off when I turned on the high beams, so egh deleted.

Lastly i checked the vehicle speed sensors of pontiacs and our galants, and thankfully our VSS's output at 4000 pulses per minute in a sine wave, so I would not have to calibrate anything to have the correct mph displayed.

Testing on my self made bench tester made from a old cpu power supply:

I had to take the dash off too many times, I cut the ac vents that go behind the instrument cluster and i am currently blocking them off and will get a 1/2 inch hose to route to the vents on left side of the steering wheel:

lotta of cutting lot of fitting:

these are the final product of hella soldering, wiring, and cutting, I somehow was about to get this to mount on the big hump of a metal thing that holds the steering column. it does not shake during driving or anything and I know its rough I will pretty it up in two days but its functionally working and I like it.

Nice work. Can't wait to see it all flush and cleaned up. Are you going to fiberglass the dash to fit it in better? How much did that unit cost you, if you dont mind me asking.

Too much interior work for me lol! Good job though, looking good. Just needs to be buttoned up now.

Lancer/EvolutionX Rotor Glow Paint
    6g74 Forged Engine w/ hx40 turbo
    Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

Yea lotta work, it sucked. But the GM part number for unit brand new is 209 and most jys sale it for 100 to 1500 but I found one for 15 in Iowa and got that 15 dollars for shipping so 30. And a second one I got from my local jy that didn't know they had it for 25. Most everything else I already had. So with tax 60 for two units.

U definitely need to glass that in and make it look nicer. Also why is your mirror switch hacked into place??
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64T (Samantha)
    '01 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (Daily)
    '02 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '91 Volvo 740 Turbo B230FT (SOLD)
    '88 Mitsubishi Mighty Max (SOLD)
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

Yea I know I need to finish it I just hate chemicals and liquid shit. And its cause I have de so I added power mirrors

What else can the HUD display or is it just the MPH?

Its in the writing, but mph will show turn signals, low gas light, and if oil or coolant or check engine light comes up it will say check gauges. It alos shows radio station but I wasn't sure how it did and it was likely a special wire from GM radios or. The antenna

Haha I don't care about value of the car its paid off in full the day I got it ill prob keep this car til I die, its already has a fuel pump kill switch and anything else I like/ want for it so far. And paying 60 bucks is not too much to me.

looks good! now to wire in the other functions but great start so far!

They are all wired in it just sucks to get picks cause I can't spill my oil so the check engine light comes on but all the functions I kept are working my wife tested it last night around the neighborhood. I was happy to do I just like tinkering and stuff just to see if I can do it.