The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Need help

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

Need help

Ok so my car has been running completely fine, nothing has been giving me concern or showing signs of dying. I drove to in n out burger and ate in my car, when I went to start my car to leave everything lit up like normal, then as I turned the key to start it, nothing. Everything died, all lights shut off, no clicking no nothing. Tried it again, nothing whatsoever. I took my battery to o'rileys autoparts, the battery tested good nothing wrong with it. I checked the fuses under the hood as well as in the car, checked my wiring for my head unit since I just installed that like 2 weeks ago, all the wires are still connected fine. Any ideas? Alternator doesn't have anything to do with the car starting, starter has been great no signs of it dying, and usually when they go they at least click a bit when trying to start the car. Only thing I can think of is the ignition switch, why that would go I have no idea I havent messed with anything around there. I'm stuck.

check to see if ur ground has any shorts

it could still be the starter... tap it w/ a hammer. if all lights out and battery good, then you could have a bad connection to the battery.

Check jy for starter I got one for 40 bucks n put it in fixed my problem

Ya I'll check in the morning as well as my cables to see if there is break somewhere or a short anywhere. The junkyard here sucks, I went about 2-3 weeks ago and there was only 1 8g there and it was pretty gutted already.

So I checked all the grounds and they were good, its always the simplest things that are the problem, I used some baking soda and water and a wire brush and cleaned my terminals and battery connectors cause they were pretty corroded and all is well now. I also noticed my negative terminal connector was a little loose even after fully tightening which happens all pretty much every car ive seen, so I just used some pliers to make the connector a bit smaller and kinda lightly hammered it back on the battery, tightened it down and its back up and running. Feel like a dummy, but at least I have my car back.

Don't feel bad, we all overlook the small stuff sometimes. Glad you're up and running, but keep an eye on it. In my experience once a battery builds up all that crust on it, it doesn't take long before it goes. This isn't always the case, I just find it to be so with me.

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

You are here entirely tooo much!! IVORY_G's Avatar
    You're gonna have to replace the corroded part if the cables in order for it to stop. First check the battery cables for corrosion by taking a razor blade and making a cut, and then peeling back the skin. If you see corrosion/rustiness then keep peeling back until you don't see it anymore. Then you'll know how much wire you will need to cut off and replace with new wire. Then you might as well replace with new terminals that are not old, loose, and corroded to make sure you dont get any ore corrosion again.
    JDM Zenki Conversion

Lazy hands make for poverty, but diligent hands bring wealth. (Proverbs 10:4 NIV)

Yea I got a terminal cleaning bursh and they have these round shims you can buy that fit over the terminal and you clamp the wire connector over that so its no slack also. That will work if you can't find large wire crimpers for a bit, (even though if had mine on for 2 or 3 years, just cleaned it yesterday tho.)