The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Popping/Knocking...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 31
    You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar

Popping/Knocking...

Well my Check Engine Light came on Friday when i started the car. Drove it around for a bit and everything was swell. Then on Sunday, I noticed that when I gave it a little bit of gas then let off, I could hear a slight repeadative popping/knocking sound coming from my engine bay area. Then today when driving home on the highway, I noticed it again, but louder. If i kept it at like a steady 2.4k RPM in 4th gear it wouldnt stop knocking/popping, then if i gave it a little gas it would go away, or if I braked it would go away. Then when I got back in town, it wasnt as loud, but still there. It kinda sounded like it was coming from the lower engine/transmission area but i couldnt tell for sure. Also, it does not make the noise while in neutral. Anyone have a clue as in whats my problem?
    7g for life!

i ahve the same problem with my car... when i let of the gas or when i downshift i hear that noise. I had a couple mechanics look at it.. one said its the bearings in the transmission, another one said its either my trans or the engine, and another one said he had no clue what the hell it is cus he never heard it in his life. its been making this noise for about 9 months now, it keeps getting louder and louder i think i'll have to fix it soon
    95 Galant S ~> 5 Speed Manual

nice to know im not the only one with the problem. im going to go to autozone sometime soon to see what the check engine light is for, see if that helps me any...

::wishes he had a datalogger::
    7g for life!

Moosh
    This might not have anything to do with you but the bearings on my uncles Dodge Intrepid 1995 200 hp engine have gone bad, and his car has been getting louder and louder as time passes by. I am not sure if this is what you are experiencing though.

IllestGalant
    hey seth, there is a data link connector under your dash on the driver side next to the center console. if you put the 1st terminal to ground (that is the one in the upper left corner) and count the number of times your check engine light blinks, I will tell you the code!

Experienced TGC Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IllestGalant)</div><div class='quotemain'>hey seth, there is a data link connector under your dash on the driver side next to the center console. if you put the 1st terminal to ground (that is the one in the upper left corner) and count the number of times your check engine light blinks, I will tell you the code!</div>

I tried that a while ago on my car it didnt work. I got a 97, my datalogger works just fine though. =D
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

IllestGalant
    well seth doesn't have one so i am trying to help out. i have the service manual so i would be able to help him.

ill try to do that tomorrow, bah i dunno, im bout to push it off a cliff with me in it
    7g for life!

IllestGalant
    don't do it man, it aint worth it, not over this shit.
    be cool 8) don't be a fool

Tiptronic
    my wife has the same problem with her galant. sound seems to be coming from the passenger side wheel well on hers. hear it when she pulls off from a stopped position....every time :!:

that sounds more like a lower ball joing, mine only goes when moving...

btw, ive had both my lower ball joints replaced in the last 2 or so months
    7g for life!

Tiptronic
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth)</div><div class='quotemain'>that sounds more like a lower ball joing, mine only goes when moving...

btw, ive had both my lower ball joints replaced in the last 2 or so months</div>

how many miles. wifey's got just over 100k on hers. its a 96

theres a recall on the lower ball joints, so if u havent gotten urs replaced, id do so...

mine just turned 61k
    7g for life!

Tiptronic
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth)</div><div class='quotemain'>theres a recall on the lower ball joints, so if u havent gotten urs replaced, id do so...

mine just turned 61k</div>

where did you read that

i dunno, do a search in the 7g forums, mitsubishi did a recall
    7g for life!

Tiptronic
    got it

ablythe
    IMHO it could be the lower ball joint or a strut mount. Let us know if you fixed it and what it was.

Ashley B
    Dallas, TX
    96 Galant

hmmm i highly doubt its my lower ball joints, anyone else have any ideas? its really bugging me :evil:
    7g for life!

Experienced TGC Member
    Put the front end on jack stands and start the car up and get under there and you could probably hear exactly where the sound is coming from, maybe even see a loose part flying around..

Funny thing this weekend after puting my engine mounts back in I start the car hear this nasty knocking sound...Im like oops mounts to stiff gona kill the car, open the hood...i was my cell phone that was vibratin around, I closed it under the hood lol good thing I didnt drive off!
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

well the thing is, is it only does it when moving. wont do it in park or even in neutral while moving. only when in drive when i give it a lil and back off...

you have any ideas Manny?
    7g for life!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast