The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Popping/Knocking...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 31 of 31
    Experienced TGC Member
    Forgot to mention that you will have the car in DRIVE and the wheels will be spinning away....the engine WILL BE MOVING =D If theres no noise when you rev it or hold the gas as it changes gears, then its probably got nothing to do with the engine and something in the suspension or whatever other crap is screwd.
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    yah then the car falls of the jackstands and im dead :lauging:

i think im just going to take it into a shop
    7g for life!

ablythe
    I've got a little popping and knocking going on with my 96 TOO.

I just had her in the shop today to replace the ball joints (factory recall). They told me that I needed to replace my inner tie rods. They showed me where they moved back and forth.

They quoted the whole deal at $400. I just looked online at www.oreillyauto.com and the parts are $37.00. I'm going to pick those up today, replace them tomorrow and get an alignment immediately afterwards for $40. It just doesn't make sense to me that they could charge me $400 when I could do it for $77. I guess that means that I can put the $333 I saves towards my turbo project. WHOO HOO!

Maybe your inner tie rod ends are causing the "popping" like mine are. Its not hard to diagnose.

ABlythe
    dallas, TX

tie rods eh? anyone else have any say? how hard is it to replace tie rods?
    7g for life!

Ok, nother update. Drove the car around today and it was really loud! Kinda sounded like it was coming from the driverside wheel well. So I stopped at walmart and got a bar out and went to see if that metal gaurd was hitting the rotor. Bent the guard so it was definitely not hitting the rotor, drove home and it still was there.

The faster i went, the louder and faster the popping/knocking was, slower i went quieter and slower the popping/knocking ocurred. Also, if i turned the wheel to the left, the noise seemed to be quieter. Also, when i brake, the noise still disappears as well as when i accelerate to a certain extent.

Im going to go buy some cheap brake pads tomorrow and see if it helps at all.
    7g for life!

Experienced TGC Member
    Hmm maybe its the wheel bearing on that side. Louder as you drive faster, and quiter when turning in a direction are some sympotoms of wheel bearing problems.
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

unclesteve
    sounds to me like it could be your CV Joints going bad.

hmmmmm are there anyways to be sure about any of these? im going to work on the car tomorrow so...
    7g for life!

IllestGalant

Re: Popping/Knocking...

Quote Originally Posted by seth
    Well my Check Engine Light came on Friday when i started the car. Drove it around for a bit and everything was swell. Then on Sunday, I noticed that when I gave it a little bit of gas then let off, I could hear a slight repeadative popping/knocking sound coming from my engine bay area. Then today when driving home on the highway, I noticed it again, but louder. If i kept it at like a steady 2.4k RPM in 4th gear it wouldnt stop knocking/popping, then if i gave it a little gas it would go away, or if I braked it would go away. Then when I got back in town, it wasnt as loud, but still there. It kinda sounded like it was coming from the lower engine/transmission area but i couldnt tell for sure. Also, it does not make the noise while in neutral. Anyone have a clue as in whats my problem?
    wow, this topic has been all over the road. Yo seth, all of the things people have mentioned can very well be the cause of a popping and knocking noise, but they will not cause the check engine light to illuminate. Whenever diagnosing a vehicle's problems, you have to start with the obvious leads. In your case it's a d.t.c. (diagnostic trouble code), that caused the check engine light. Find out why the light came on and take it from there.

alright, im goin to autozone sometime soon then. dont know where the closest one is to here but i know theres one in my home town. i can get it done sat there but prom is sat night, and i wanted to get it fixed before then hah if thats possible. so i guess ill keep u guys updated...
    7g for life!

Quote Originally Posted by IllestGalant
    hey seth, there is a data link connector under your dash on the driver side next to the center console. if you put the 1st terminal to ground (that is the one in the upper left corner) and count the number of times your check engine light blinks, I will tell you the code!
    ill try that here in a bit. so what does this look like? is it out in the plain open?
    7g for life!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12