The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: clutch slipping

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 50

clutch slipping

Why is my clutch slipping after a year? I don't have the time to really troubleshoot it right now with school but i thought clutches lasted for longer than a year.

Did i just beat the shit out of it or something? cause i learned how to drive on it.

Or could it possibly need the pedal to be adjusted? because i never did that.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    the master and pedal need to be adjusted so that the slave stays self adjusting and that the pedal is about 3/4 of the way up. if its out of adjustment and u learned how do drive on it it could have worn down, but adjusting is may help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYJxQyjIhUw
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

hmm thanks for the help ill check it out.

so if i can push the slave in, and its not dragging then it is fine and its probably the clutch disk or pressure plate?

i dont get what bolt that guy is talking about, the only thing that adjusts on mine is the pedal height.... I even took the thing out to look at it.
    ill snap a pic in a second, its not an oem master cyl i dont think.

The night is right there!!!! Look at the part the connects to the pedal, the but behind that big thing is the nut we are talking about
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

i dont understand how that would change anything other than the pedal's height?

The problem is i can not move the slave cyliner at all unless i apply a LOT of force.
    i dont know if that is normal but from what he says in the video it is not.

Experienced TGC Member OMEGA PHX's Avatar

If you screw that part completely in, you made that rod shorter and the clutch will disengage lower when stepping on the pedal and vice versa if you unscrew that you'll make it longer and the clutch will disengage sooner/taller when stepping on the pedal. Don't know if I explained myself correctly.

4g64T 5spd

exactly, that part makes sense. but that doesnt help me, i dont care about the height of the pedal.

he says in the video that there is a valve in the master cyl that allows the slave to adjust itself. i cannot figure out how to get this to open.
    i dont know if im making any sense or not im sorry i dont know much about cars..

You need snap ring pliers to open the master cylinder. Ok, the further out you move the pedal adjustment, the more movement you get out of the master cylinders plunger rod in the housing, thus pushing more fluid out. Thats why we are telling you to adjust your pedal lol

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

huh okay well i dont quite understand it but i will give it a try, the pedal was in almost all the way when i took out the cyl.

it was working for a long time then gradualy starting slipping thats why i thought it could not be adjusting properly.

Question, do you remember the pivot ball that the clutch fork clips into? You can adjust that out with some washers, but you gotta drop the tranny.

if you screw the rod in if will make the rod be close the the bleeder valve, anything after that is too far, by adjusting that you get the most pedal feel. i adjusted my clutch this way and it grabs almost at the top of the travel meaning that i am moving as much fluid as possible and avoiding clutch drag and slip. dont over analyze this. backing the pedal stop out make the pedal higher and adjusting the master rod makes sure the clutch is getting enough fluid to make sure its not dragging and you make sure the slave is still self adjusting which if it isnt will cause excessive wear and slippage
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

Okay, i feel really stupid because i cant grasp this simple concept but i'm going to trust you guys and do it, i will post back tomorrow. Thank you all i appreciate it.

its ok man, it was hard for me to grasp until i did it for myself and felt the difference.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

well i get that if you extend it out, you will have more distance to push the pedal, so more fluid, but i dont get all the stuff about the self adjusting slave.

the master cylinder has a rod inside it, so does the slave, by extending the rod on the master u allow it to push more fluid down to push the rod in the slave out more, the more the slave rod pushes out, the better the clutch disengages from the flywheel, so it wont slip...the part that connects to the pedal should be almost to the tip of the thread on the master, then u will have more flow to the slave....hope that helps to make sense

I have to post now cuz I am either missing something or what but I don't know what that self adjusting on the slave is about.
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64T (Samantha)
    '01 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (Daily)
    '02 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '91 Volvo 740 Turbo B230FT (SOLD)
    '88 Mitsubishi Mighty Max (SOLD)
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

well im glad im not the only one lol.

Quote Originally Posted by spdracr View Post
    I have to post now cuz I am either missing something or what but I don't know what that self adjusting on the slave is about.
    Ok I'll try my best to explain it. You push the pedal, which pushes fluid to the slave, which in turns pushes the fork. The clutch has back pressure on it, we call that artificial feel, and basically what happens is every time you push, you fill the slave up with more fluid, though tiny amount, because as the clutch wears, the fingers on the pressure plate begin to flatten out. So, since the fingers don't push the slave rod in as much as a new clutch does, thats why they have a self adjusting slave to make up for the slack. Same concept applies to brake calipers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast