The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Tweeter and -3db attenuation question

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11

Tweeter and -3db attenuation question

So I have a set of components and I have the tweeters mounted where the stock tweeters would be. Right now I have the components running off of my headunit but i'm about to hook them up to an amp. The passive crossover that came with the components allows you to drop the tweeter level by -3db. How do you guys recommend setting this up? -3bd attenutation or level it at 0db attenuation? I'm thinking that once amped the tweeters might be pretty shrill. Running them off the headunit I have it set at 0db attenuation and it sounds pretty good, but then again i've never tried it at -3db. Thoughts?

Best bet is to try it and see how it sounds.

What type of amplifier, speakers, and source unit are you using?

Roght now the speakers I have are Sony XS-GTX1620S and yeah, I know Sonys suck but it's what I'm stuck with at the moment. Lol. I'll replace them later on down the road. I have a Rockford Fosgate P1S8-10 10" sub in a sealed enclosure. The rear speakers are stock and will contiue to be powered off the headunit for the time being since they're just rear fills. I'm trying to decide between a few amps. Here are my choices thus far:

MB Quart ONX4.60 Onxy Series
    MB Quart FX4.70 Formula Series
    JBL GT5-A604 GT Series (CEA 2006 compliant)
    Crunch P1-1050.4 Power One Series (Budget buy)

Right now after reading a bunch of reviews I'm leaning toward the ONX4.60 but I haven't made up my mind yet. I don't want to spend more then $120 on an amp and I want a 4 channel to power the fronts and the sub. If anyone has any suggestions on amps, I'm listening.
    Last edited by AmericanJambo; 08-25-2012 at 11:54 AM

From the component systems I've heard, once you amp them up -3db is the best / common route to go. Just as you imagine, the tweeters become pretty shrill and piercing. You can test it out and see what you like, its not hard to change it back.

Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGO_ONE View Post
    From the component systems I've heard, once you amp them up -3db is the best / common route to go. Just as you imagine, the tweeters become pretty shrill and piercing. You can test it out and see what you like, its not hard to change it back.
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking about the shrillness.

yeah, best thing to do is try it out, when u amp it, it maybe a little overpowering, some people like it, some dont, so its a matter of preference

Quote Originally Posted by QnzMostWanted View Post
    yeah, best thing to do is try it out, when u amp it, it maybe a little overpowering, some people like it, some dont, so its a matter of preference
    I like clean mids and highs but I prefer my highs to be in balance with my mids. I want it crisp and bright but not shrill and piercing.

then u would probably want -3db, because at 0 it will be pretty peaky

There wont be much "shrill" being its a sony set, infinity is known for its bright tweeters and even then it really boils down to how the deck and amp is tuned.

Btw don't get a 4 channel to power your fronts and sub only, especially such a weak one. Your best bet on a single amp setup including a woofer would be a 5ch amp like kicker or an alpine.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    There wont be much "shrill" being its a sony set, infinity is known for its bright tweeters and even then it really boils down to how the deck and amp is tuned.

Btw don't get a 4 channel to power your fronts and sub only, especially such a weak one. Your best bet on a single amp setup including a woofer would be a 5ch amp like kicker or an alpine.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
    Good info. I would love a 5 channel amp but the money just isn't there right now. Between school, bills, books, ammunition, tactical gear, food, gym membership and getting the car fixed up I just don't have more then $120 to drop on an amp. Such as life. I'll make due. ;)

Decided to go with a Soundstream Rubicon 4.500 to power the fronts and sub. I know it's a few dollars more then what i wanted to spend but you get a much better amp. It does 75w per channel RMS @ 4 ohm and with the 8ohm sub being rated to handle 150w RMS it should be fine. I don't really need more then 150w to power my sub right now. I don't have any desire to shake the ground. When I upgrade I'll get a monoblock for the sub and add a second sub. Then I'll use the 4.500 to power the fronts and rears.