The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Shifter lock cable stuck

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6

Shifter lock cable stuck

i have a 95 galant AT with a stuck shifter lock cable. car wont start and shifter neither will move from parking with our without the brake pedal pressed and key on acc. its stuck on P. wich is weird becouse even if its stuck on P the car should start. I removed the shifter assembly and found out that the shifter lock cable wont move. the cable going to the tranny does move with the shift lock cable disengaged. any ideas or advice? car was working ok then all of sudden car wouldnt start and would shift out of P. Thanks in advance.

Disconnect the shifter lock cable at both ends is the first thing I'd do. Then tell us if you can move the trans shift lever and if you can turn the key. Try wiggling the steering wheel if the key still does not want to turn.
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

Quote Originally Posted by eksz View Post
    Disconnect the shifter lock cable at both ends is the first thing I'd do. Then tell us if you can move the trans shift lever and if you can turn the key. Try wiggling the steering wheel if the key still does not want to turn.
    Key does turn but car wont start. It wont even try i can only hear a clicking sound each time i turn the key, could it be something non shifter related?? Like the starter? Fans do start but i think they were messed with and are comnected directly to ignition or something

Clicking can be as simple as a low battery. Try jumping it and tell us what happens.
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

So heres whats happening, car wouldnt turn on, shifter lock cable the cable that allows the shifter to move when the key is inserted and on acc got stuck and wouldnt allow me to switch out of parking. The car is supposed to still start since its on parking. When i removed all the cover below de steering wheel i found the car had a previous very old car alarm with remote star and a starter kill switch on the emergency break ao i removed the remote start and the wiring for the ignitiom that was there, and dome car started. Looks like the car had a problem with the old alarm. Ill try to remove it completely tomorrow. For the cable even tho its stuck i removed it and car works that way till we get a new cable. But everything till now is working well except that he car has very unstable idle goes from 1krpm to 1500rpms all the time wich makes shifting gear very rough. My gf father sprayed some throttle cleaner and i think that messed up the idle control sensor. But thats another story. Thanks for the help

The shift lock cable is a safety feature to prevent you from shifting into gear or from turning the key off unless your foot is on the brake. You can safely drive the car without it as long as you pay attention to what you are doing. The shift lock cable came about as a result of acidents where folks put the car into gear without having their foot on the brake. There were some accidents and deaths from passengers messing around and turning off the key while the driver was driving forgetting that the steering wheel would lock up and the driver lost control the car.
    jjj