The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: White smoke from rear part of engine

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13

White smoke from rear part of engine

There's white smoke coming from the rear engine, so I sent it to the shop for repairs and they replaced the pcv valve, spark plugs, spark plug wires and the valve cover gasket. Drove it a little on the parkway about 8 miles after picking the car up and it when I got home and turn the car off, I looked under the hood and noticed a little bit of white smoke from the rear middle section of the engine. Not sure what the problem is or if there is one, hopefully it's nothing serious. I'll keep monitoring it the next couple days to see if it still appears.

Experienced TGC Member Dominicano's Avatar
    if you had white smoke cause oil fell on the exhaust if they changed the gasket and did not clean it then you will still have white until it burns all of it off. what you should be check if around the edges of the valve covers to make sure no new oil is leaking and it if it take it back to the shop and have they fix it cause they did it wrong.

Do you have a v6? I remember when I was changing my intake manifold, I accidentally disconnected a coolant hose that connects from the back of the engine. Some coolant fell on the rear heat shield and some white smoke started up when I turned on the engine. It went away but I kind of freaked out, lol!

Yes I have a v6, so a little bit of white smoke is not a serious issue? I'm just a little worried about driving it now.
    Last edited by Skip2lou; 08-29-2012 at 09:40 PM

just keep an eye on it, if it still smokes at a consistent rate depending how much you ride your care then it mean that the valve cover gasket is leaking.

On my way to work, which is about 8 miles on the parkway, the engine service light came on. While waiting in the parking lot, I checked under the hood and from what I can see, there wasn't any smoke, but there was water condensation on the silver pipe on the top left of the engine (passenger side). On my way home 8 hours later, the light stayed on the entire time. The car started fine and it seemed normal when I got home. I filled up the car with gas yesterday so I doubled checked the cap to make sure it was tight. The code is p0400 egr flow malfunction.
    Last edited by Skip2lou; 09-01-2012 at 07:55 AM

that pipe would have to be the AC line so that should be normal, as far as the EGR you should check your EGR recurculation pipe its a pipe on the rear of the car that connects to the intake manifold in the back on the passenger side you should be able to see it check to see if its lose

Thanks, I'll check that out.

I had it repaired at the shop and they replaced the egr valve, does this sound right?

yep as long as your not getting any issues now, what I mentioned was something different.

Hopefully there won't be anymore surprises or issues with the car. I'm a still worried about driving it though.

Last night on my way home the engine service light came on, the code is p0442 EVAP emission control system leak (small). No idea what that means. How serious is it? Can I still drive it?

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    tighten your gas cap

Quote Originally Posted by IVORY_G View Post
    never pull out, always squeeze inside! LOL!