The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Loud "Lawnmower" like sound when car engine is cold

Showing results 1 to 16 of 16

Loud "Lawnmower" like sound when car engine is cold

Hi guys, my galant 2001 v6 gtz produces a "lawnmower-diesel" like sound every morning that it can wake up the whole neighborhood. It only happens when the car's engine is cold otherwise everything is ok and i couldnt hear the irritating noise from the engine once it has already been warmed up. The noise usually last for 2-3 minutes then it will just diminish. Any ideas what might have had cause this? I have it recorded and ill try to post it here soon.

I heard about hydraulic lifters, exhaust, water pump and etc. I just want to make it sure what part of the engine is the problem. Hopefully, this is not something serious and i dont want to spend a lot on this. Thanks in advance.l :)

BTW, I just had my battery replace and an oil change. I tried to apply the "prolong engine additive" but it didnt help. Any suggestions?

Here's the video/clip:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-77junpVvnY&feature=plcp
    Last edited by Nikko; 09-03-2012 at 06:28 PM Reason: Updated with video/clip

Post up the recording. Without more specific details, we can't really help. Lifters, exhaust and water pump are very very different things.

If you post stupid and incorrect information, you will get red nuggets.

More than likely lifters, listen to see if it's more of a ticking noise. Generally you can tell if it is lifters from Listing from where it comes from. Mechanics sethscope helps for noises like that. There probably just rattling before oil warms up.

wow,,, sounds like a dropped valve.i dont kno man,

You said the noise goes away after the engine warms up?

Its really hard to say, but it almost sounds as if something is hitting the fan, or the water pump. If its in the coolant, seems like after it warms up it floats somewhere else.

Personally, I wouldn't start the car again until I figured out what the problem is.

If you post stupid and incorrect information, you will get red nuggets.

Yup, it goes away when its warm up. It just sounds normal if it's warmed up and i dont feel vibrations while car is parked and it's smooth while im on the road.

They say if the water pump is affected, every time you start the engine it makes a noise but mine only happens during a cold start then everything is smooth for the next few hours.

my input for this problem

1, get your coolant flushed and replaced

2, get a compression test just to be safe

3, get an oil change with sythetic oil (and oil filter of course!) just to be safe in the case it could be the lifters (they could be clogged up), I reccomend Pennzoil Ultra, the oil works staggeringly well for cleaning out an engine

4, see to if that is the water pump, it could have a dead bearing, if it is, it will have to be replaced, if the water pump is fine (and your saying that it isn't, but just to be safe)

do all of these, but not neccisarily in that order, 1 and 4 would be the first to do, as polishmafia said, get those checked out before your on the road again
    for 3, if all of these are done with no improvement (the sythetic oil doesn't clean them well enough), you may need your lifters cleaned and bled, or worst case, you may need new lifters
    youtube funnily had you covered for part of the DIY (if you do this stuff), this was in the related videos, and it is (mostly the right engine, it's a 6g75 not a 6g74 as stated in the title, but same mechanics) basically the same engine you have as far as this assembly goes
    how to clean your rocker assembly

if u do have a home garage with your basic tools i would park the car and rip it apart start with the valve cover then maybe the water pump and check if there is any metal shavings in the oil pan..
    As we all know the G is a easy car to work on yourself

But if u cant do any of that.. i think it would be some what expensive to have a real mechanic do this as it is time consuming work
    2001 Galant 2.4 USDM
    Old ones
    2X BMW E34 Blaaackkkk
    Isuzu Trooper mountain spec

Experienced TGC Member
    Tmiing belt tensioner.

The timing belt is slapping against the timing cover. Now is a good idea to change the timing belt, pulleys, and water pump too.

I had my timing belt change and did an oil change last week.... do you think i have to do a major tune up? The car drives smooth with less or no vibrations at all. I realize it just stopped making that annoying noise for 2 consecutive days now.

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikko View Post
    I had my timing belt change and did an oil change last week.... do you think i have to do a major tune up? The car drives smooth with less or no vibrations at all. I realize it just stopped making that annoying noise for 2 consecutive days now.
    Its the timing belt tensioner. It doesnt necessarily have to be replaced right away, but I wouldnt disregard it.

I drove for several months with that issue. Until one day the noise wouldnt go away.

Its best to do all that stuff at once. Its a peace of mind and saves you from havig to do it in the future.

Experienced TGC Member

Experienced TGC Member
    Try to avoid the dealership if possible when you go to purchase parts.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    If the timing belt was just done i would make sure you set the tension properly and check to make sure the belt isn't getting damaged.

To all people saying compression test and all that, why would that be needed if the car drives fine and sound goes away when warm? You need to understand if it was internal it would always be there not only when cold. And besides a leak down test is way better but not necessary in this situation.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

Wish I could find the video on Youtube but your car soundes very similar to mine and the one in the video. Yours is a little lower pitched but still very similar. The comments in the video said that it turned out to be the timing belt tensioner . the tensioner is hydraulic. Don’t know exactly what fails inside to cause it to make the noise. Mine only does it is cold weather. Was the tentioner changed or did you only have the belt changed?