The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Buying new wheels, need brake assistance.

Showing results 1 to 19 of 19

Buying new wheels, need brake assistance.

So as soon as the holiday weekend is up I am putting in an order for new wheels and tires. I'm thinking it would be a good time to upgrade my brakes as well since I'm planning a 6G75 swap also in the future. Are there any highly recommended brake kits amongst you more knowledgeable guys. Or maybe certain rotors and caliper combos that work well together. I just want to make sure I don't get something that will be too big or no better than stock V6 brakes.

Here are the new wheels:

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...ed&showRear=no

I have had Motegi wheels on my G since 2001 and no complaints, still loving them. You can get some R1 concept rotors, don't go cheap on pads. My pads cost a lil more than my r1concept rotors.
    15 F150 3.5 ecoboost 4x4 - daily driver
    01 Galant ES V6 MT (sold)
    00 Eclipse RS MT

Quote Originally Posted by Black8GV6 View Post
    I have had Motegi wheels on my G since 2001 and no complaints, still loving them. You can get some R1 concept rotors, don't go cheap on pads. My pads cost a lil more than my r1concept rotors.
    Been texting spdrcr and he recommended the R1s too, I'll look into them for sure then. Also, he thinks I should go with posi queit pads.

Icon14

Quote Originally Posted by NCamiolo View Post
    Been texting spdrcr and he recommended the R1s too, I'll look into them for sure then. Also, he thinks I should go with posi quiet pads.
    I would recommend posi quiet pads as well, top notch auto shops like the 1 im employed @ also recommends them as well u def cnt go wrng with these pads.
    GWAP STACKIN MAKE'S IT HAPPEN

Quote Originally Posted by GWAPS View Post
    I would recommend posi quiet pads as well, top notch auto shops like the 1 im employed @ also recommends them as well u def cnt go wrng with these pads.
    Ok so I'm pretty sure I'm getting R1 cross drilled/slotted rotors. As far as the Posi Quiet pads go, I'm game, but should I go with the semi-metallic extended wear or Ceramic? Pros and Cons of each?

Ok so I'm pretty sure I'm getting R1 cross drilled/slotted rotors. As far as the Posi Quiet pads go, I'm game, but should I go with the semi-metallic extended wear or Ceramic? Pros and Cons of each?
    I'm not sure on the pros & cons of these pads however I personally have a pair of the semi-metallic extended wear & I love them. U should try them as well. Next brake pads I get will b ceramic.

I'm not sure on the pros & cons of these pads however I personally have a pair of the semi-metallic extended wear & I love them. U should try them as well. Next brake pads I get will b ceramic.
    Couldn't wait any longer to spend money lol, so I ended up getting Ceramics before I saw the post. Pretty pumped to install everything. Looking forward to good traction and stopping power!

Experienced TGC Member OMEGA PHX's Avatar

Ceramic basically gives you good stopping power, low noise and low dust, semi metallic have better initial bite then the ceramics but I think they produce more dust and I don't know about noise. When I asked R1 for low dust, low noise pads he recommended the ceramic posi quiets.

4g64T 5spd

Quote Originally Posted by OMEGA PHX View Post
    Ceramic basically gives you good stopping power, low noise and low dust, semi metallic have better initial bite then the ceramics but I think they produce more dust and I don't know about noise. When I asked R1 for low dust, low noise pads he recommended the ceramic posi quiets.
    Works for me, plus they cost just slightly less that the semi-metallic extended life, and just a little more that nore semi-metallic. Nice price as far as I'm concerned. Car has shit tires and traction currently, messed up wheels, and terrible beat brakes. I'm pumped to start swapping stuff again.

I'm glad u made the right choice of wht pads 2 get weather its ur daily driver or just a weekend show car. U can not go wrng with posi hands down gd job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm glad u made the right choice of wht pads 2 get weather its ur daily driver or just a weekend show car. U can not go wrng with posi hands down gd job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Glad to hear it! I'll probably put some on my BMW too when the time comes if they work that well.

Glad to hear it! I'll probably put some on my BMW too when the time comes if they work that well.
    Cool wht year is ur bmw? you should post some pics of it here on this fourm

It's a 2003 760Li. I don't have many pics actually but here is some of what I've taken while working and changing things on it.

She's a boat, but can haul ass and be ridiculously comfortable the whole time! Gas sucks though which is why I'm getting my G safe for the road again.

Hell yeah/ that's wht I'm tlkin about I love the halo rings on the bmw. U should dsave the v12 4 weekends only.

Hell yeah/ that's wht I'm tlkin about I love the halo rings on the bmw. U should dsave the v12 4 weekends only.
    I should, but its been a daily driver for the past 6 months or so lol

I should, but its been a daily driver for the past 6 months or so lol
    When u get the galant fixed up park that bmw lol. Is ur galant running?

When u get the galant fixed up park that bmw lol. Is ur galant running?
    Yeah it runs fine lol, just did valve gaskets and spark plug seals, and had oil changed. Drove it yesterday actually, but since it needs new tires and brakes I'm trying to not use it too much. I need to work on the comfort level a bit too, cuz it's just so far from my BMW lol. Thinking about leather front seats soon and then doing the suspension for the next project.

so, ceramic pads work good with stock rotors?, i have a 1999 gtz and i put new rotors but the pad are cheap, and in hi speed breaks suck,

So far I like the braking ability of my new ceramics, but i'm no brake expert!