The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: My P0340/Stalling Issues (8g I4 2.4L)

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8

My P0340/Stalling Issues (8g I4 2.4L)

I'll try for straight and to the point:

The only CEL is P0340 (camshaft position sensor circuit malfunction)
    01 I4 2.4L Galant

-Normal symptoms: cold start idles fine. warms up dies. while warm dies within ~5 seconds of starting. CEL=P0340

-Replaced camshaft position sensor, problem persists. Don't have a FSM and the Haynes manual is useless. No way of knowing how to test the actual circuit without a diagram and some specs. Visually inspected the three wires (red/black/green) at the connector and everything looks fine, but only able to see about 5 inches of wire before it disappears into the harness.

-Noticed oil on both old and new camshaft position sensors after removing, that's normal right?

Other points:
    -Found oil in spark plug tubes, replaced valve cover gasket and tube seals. Replaced plugs.

-Oil on inside of valve cover was milky, suspected head gasket. Compression is ~125-~140 across all cylinders. Did oil change, oil drained looked like normal broken down oil, no evidence of coolant. Still unsure of head gasket issue.

-Leaky radiator. Replaced radiator. Notice bubbles shooting up into overflow tank, not sure what that's all about.

-IACV making continuous grinding noises. replaced with a new IACV.

The big thing here is the stalling issue with that cam sensor code. Does anyone have some tips or maybe some info on how to test the circuit?

was the motor ever replaced in some point in time? could be the wrong cameshaft reluctor wheel if the motor was replaced with a 99-00 motor.

other then that you weeded out all possible solutions and fixed anything that needed to be fixed

the camshaft and crackshaft sensors are on the same circuit, so it could be the crackshaft sensor, but i highly dont think it is

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    any sensor you need, i have em brand new for the best prices too

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    have you checked the power & ground of the sensor?

Quote Originally Posted by IVORY_G View Post
    never pull out, always squeeze inside! LOL!

There is also the pdf manuals on here search for and if u don't find it try searching google for, I think search factory repair manual on here. Usually they tell you what ohms the sensor should have so u cab know if that's the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by finald8ta View Post
    was the motor ever replaced in some point in time? could be the wrong cameshaft reluctor wheel if the motor was replaced with a 99-00 motor.

other then that you weeded out all possible solutions and fixed anything that needed to be fixed

the camshaft and crackshaft sensors are on the same circuit, so it could be the crackshaft sensor, but i highly dont think it is
    the engine has never been replaced

Quote Originally Posted by bronxbombr View Post
    any sensor you need, i have em brand new for the best prices too
    ill keep that in mind

Quote Originally Posted by E_Emerson88 View Post
    have you checked the power & ground of the sensor?
    im not sure which ones those are. the ground could be black or green. i need to know which is my 12v lead, which is signal, and which is ground.

Quote Originally Posted by bgood12 View Post
    There is also the pdf manuals on here search for and if u don't find it try searching google for, I think search factory repair manual on here. Usually they tell you what ohms the sensor should have so u cab know if that's the problem.
    i searched for hours on google and here. all the fsm links are from 06/09 and are dead.

sorry about being short with the replies, im posting from my phone at work.

if anyone with the fsm can just upload the section that deals with this issue it would be greatly appreciated. or point me to another mitsubishi model i can use as a reference. it would likely have to be something with the same engine though.
    Last edited by idkface; 09-03-2012 at 09:01 AM

just posting a quick update. i found the procedure for identifying the cause of the code... finally. i want to post it here so others in my situation can be helped if replacing the sensor doesnt make the problem go away. its the last post in this link.

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/20...-t-start-turns