The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Help, VR4 Conversion

Showing results 1 to 17 of 17

Help, VR4 Conversion

During an average tune on my 03 Galant V6 something got into my engine which I did not realize until I started it and it started knocking. Now due to the damage to the metal that was in there (Whatever it was the Piston crushed from the point of no recognition.) I now have to either rebuild my engine or swap it out for another.

I decided to take the high road and drop a U.S. VR4 into it since I'm going to spend money either way.

2003 Galant ES V6 engine coming out - 1999 3000GT VR4 gong in.

This is where I hope you can come in, I am a noob but I will have a mechanic help me install it after his work hours and in the weekends for $1,000 as long as I assist him. What I need to know is what are all the components and fabrications if any I need to perform to make this swap possible.

Drivetrain? (I'm trying to go Automatic, please keep that in mind.)
    Mounts?
    ECU?
    Etc,Etc.

Also I'm going to take the engine to a machine shop while in the meantime I gather the parts I need once I know what they are.

I want to get at max 500HP and I want the engine to last a few years without having to touch it for some major mechanical flaw. What route should I take in the rebuild in regards to Bore Size, Piston Size, Bearing Size, Cam, Heads, Etc, Etc and also what name brands to use in the internal?
    (OEM or Aftermarket?)

Thanks in Advance for your help and professional advice!
    Last edited by June_03GV6_ES; 09-06-2012 at 12:11 AM

I will post pics of the progress once I know what I need.

P.S. This Swap Will Happen... Motivation and Money = Success!
    Last edited by June_03GV6_ES; 09-06-2012 at 12:15 AM

the 8G V6 (6G72 SOHC) and the 3000GT VR4 V6 (6G72 DOHC TT) are oriented 180 degrees opposite of each other and spin in opposite directions. you would need way more than just the engine for this to work. readily available swappable engine upgrades would be the 6G74 and 6G75, both of which members here have done.
    Last edited by Reelax; 09-06-2012 at 12:54 AM

Hey Reelax,

Thanks for the quick response! I honestly respect and appreciate your opinion about going with the 6G74 and 6G75, especially since it's probably an easier job. Really though before I commit to picking up the engine I can look into what you advised.

I know I need a lot more then the engine, like the basic stuff which is like Tranny, Mounts, Wiring, but I'm not sure what are the other things I need to get my hands on? I would really appreciate your help if you have the time to shoot some more advice and info down my way, Thanks!

Thanks for your time!

P.S. I'm going to take your advice and look into the 74 and 75 - quick question though when you say 75 are you mentioning the 3.8L or 3.8L MIVEC?
    I want to be able get at least 300 - 500 HP out of the swap and maybe toss on a possible turbo??
    Last edited by June_03GV6_ES; 09-06-2012 at 02:47 AM

Quote Originally Posted by June_03GV6_ES View Post
    Hey Reelax,

Thanks for the quick response! I honestly respect and appreciate your opinion about going with the 6G74 and 6G75, especially since it's probably an easier job. Really though before I commit to picking up the engine I can look into what you advised.

I know I need a lot more then the engine, like the basic stuff which is like Tranny, Mounts, Wiring, but I'm not sure what are the other things I need to get my hands on? I would really appreciate your help if you have the time to shoot some more advice and info down my way, Thanks!

Thanks for your time!

P.S. I'm going to take your advice and look into the 74 and 75 - quick question though when you say 75 are you mentioning the 3.8L or 3.8L MIVEC?
    I want to be able get at least 300 - 500 HP out of the swap and maybe toss on a possible turbo??
    search for the build threads on here, members have done the '74 and '75 swaps and have documented it. as for the 6g72 from the 3000GT, give up that notion, it is oriented backwards from what you need.

I just got back from a Tuner shop and was asking about both the VR4 and G75, heard some good things that tear me apart between the two.

The 75 is newer, will have less mileage, and can be tuned nicely and falls right with a slight mod.

The VR4 is work period! But it can be done, I was told look for a Front clip that both Galant and 3000GT motor can fall into, something that has been done in Japan then buy the clip. There's a place over here that they bring clips in from Japan with the motor. Then buy a Haltech Platinum Sport 1000 ECU, a Supra Twin Turbo Fuel pump, mounts, AWD Tranny and convert it to RWD, the point is to get the car on the road with a stand alone setup and I can tune as I go. (I might be a little off, so much info to remember.)

Both jobs are going to be about the same price sort of, now it's just which way I want to go.

To be honest, I think the 6G75 swap will be less expensive.

The 3000gt vr4 engine/transmission is going to be a hack job and unless the labor for that is free, then it will be VERY expensive. The 6g75 is almost a direct swap (same transmission, engine mounting, ecu wiring, and NOT a hack job).

Ultimately up to you; if you're serious about the vr4 swap from a 3000gt, you can get a good idea what's involved by looking at this 2jz swapped galant
    https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=47575

Lancer/EvolutionX Rotor Glow Paint
    6g74 Forged Engine w/ hx40 turbo
    Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

The VR4 motor is going to be a lot more work compared to the 6G75 motor. The 6G75 is going to be more of a "drop in" and a lot less custom work to make it run. The VR4 motor is 180* the opposite way of your v6. Meaning you will need custom mounts, and i would guess everything from the vr4 front end would need to be swapped in. At that point, you could just swap any motor into the car. You could put in a evo 8 motor into your v6 as well. Its been done before by a couple of members here.

Youre shooting for a number but do you know what 500hp feels like on the street?

Quote Originally Posted by qnz View Post

Youre shooting for a number but do you know what 500hp feels like on the street?

Ooh me I do
    Like a god!!!

Whoever told u that the 6G75 swap and the 6G72TT swap into the USDM 8G chasis (EA8A) will cost near the same was either lying or has no idea what they are talking about. the 6G75 swap is almost a drop in swap compared to the 6G72TT from the 3KGTVR4. I think you r failing to grasp how much more is involved in making an engine that spins the opposite direction of what came in your car work. It might be easier to cut a 3KGTVR4 in half and do the same to your car then switch the front halves and weld the new combination back together since u will need to use almost all the 3KGTVR4's mechanicals and mounting points as the 8G's will not work; it is simply backwards so there is no common front clip that both engines will drop into. There have been thousands of members here over 12+ years and hundreds of highly modified cars represented, multiple AWD coverted, engine swapped rides, and none of them have used the 6G72 TT bcuz it is not worth the trouble to put it in the USDM 8G. If u have to do a VR4 twin turbo, look into to 6A13TT from the JDM 8G VR4, at least it is oriented correctly compared to the USDM 8G.

Sup every one,

I appreciate all your advice and trust me I'm listening, sorry I take long to respond I just get caught up in my day and don't respond to the posts until late at night. I'm printing out all your advice right now and I'm taking it to the shop to show them your strong arguments. I believe in what you are saying and thats why I come here to post and ask for advice I am a noob at this, and so I just want to be sure that the path I'm taking is the right one.

I'm still in the research phase of the whole project and I so any information I obtain from you is valuable information. Hows that saying, "Experience is the teacher of fools, but wise man learns from another mans error."

Thanks Everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by keith6110 View Post
    The 3000gt vr4 engine/transmission is going to be a hack job and unless the labor for that is free, then it will be VERY expensive. The 6g75 is almost a direct swap (same transmission, engine mounting, ecu wiring, and NOT a hack job).

Ultimately up to you; if you're serious about the vr4 swap from a 3000gt, you can get a good idea what's involved by looking at this 2jz swapped galant
    https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=47575
    Hey Keith,

I checked out the whole post, that is one sick Galant hands down! Just wonder if he ever got around to painting it? I can see what you mean when you say hack job, that looks like a lot of work on that car. Despite some flaws here and there, that car still look sick with that Supra Engine.

Thanks for the Link!

gd luck with ur swap, hope all goes well
    GWAP STACKIN MAKE'S IT HAPPEN

That will be a monster if it happens!
    "Mitsubishi Galant(e) for Life"

Tuned 2013 Evolution X GSR PB

-> Follow me on IG @blackblurr_x | 5-Speed | Check out my Build Here