The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Ball Joint tutuorial

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6

Icon1 Ball Joint tutuorial

I am doing the all joints on my 8g. I will take some pics, so far I have every thing apart except the the ball joint which is still stuck in the A-Arm. Looks like I will have to use a ball joint press to get the ball joint out of the A-Arm. I rented one for free at O'Rielly and the smallest sleeve that comes with it would work for pressing the new ball joint on but none of the sleeves will work for taking it off... :( Any help? They have a Honda/Acura sleeve kit which I hope will work, I will be picking that up shortly. By the way I am installing MOOG's, they are better than than the OE ones, they even have a ZERK FITTING!!!! Here is a link to them http://www.ebay.com/itm/260849865628...84.m1497.l2649 I got a KILLER deal on these as napa and o'rielly want a left nut for them... Thanks ebay... ANd I'm using mobil 1 synthetic grease.

If any one has ever done the ball joints and has any helpful information please share!
    Last edited by thegalant; 09-15-2012 at 09:59 AM

Rock auto has the entire (Moog) control arm and ball joint assembly for $85, for $35 more get the whole thing with new control arm bushings and save the pressing hassle. IDK if it's still an option for you, but good luck on with the job.
    Last edited by oakrdrs187; 09-15-2012 at 02:10 PM

I rented a tool from advance auto parts and it worked. But rock auto has the whole arm for $50 plus shipping.
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64T (Samantha)
    '01 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (Daily)
    '02 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '91 Volvo 740 Turbo B230FT (SOLD)
    '88 Mitsubishi Mighty Max (SOLD)
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

I took pictures of this when I did it but the camera on my phone was set to take very small pics... I will upload them so maaaybe it will help some one. I went to O'rielly and rented the tools needed for this job for free, if you want to do these ball joints you need A: a ball joint press tool which comes with 3 sleeves and B: a second kit of sleeves which they had 3 of. I'm not sure what that one was called but they have it... The tool and the sleeves will allow you to press out the old and press in the new. Suprisingly the hardest part to doing these ball joints was seating the rubber boot. It took alot of attention and patience. There must be a tool for this out there because it was hard, I had to use 2 standard pliers and pull the boot down over the top of the bearing at the same time and it was just random chance that it went over it after a bunch of tries, I found what helped was inverting the boot and flexing on it to loosen it up. I tried inverting it and flipping it back to normal over the top of the ball joint but it wasn't that flexible. It's pretty stiff. Any way I got it seated right and filled it with mobile 1 greaser until it was puffy... The ball joint removal tool was great took maybe 5 minutes to get each one out and I did not have to take anything apart to do it.
    Last edited by thegalant; 09-20-2012 at 07:54 PM

I will be pressing my ball joints out to powdercoat my control arms so ill take pics and upload them for help.
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64T (Samantha)
    '01 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (Daily)
    '02 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '91 Volvo 740 Turbo B230FT (SOLD)
    '88 Mitsubishi Mighty Max (SOLD)
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    Rock auto has the entire (Moog) control arm and ball joint assembly for $85, for $35 more get the whole thing with new control arm bushings and save the pressing hassle. IDK if it's still an option for you, but good luck on with the job.
    I already bought the moog, and I'm going to guess you wouldn't get a moog on that cheap assembly... I also changed the oil and filter right before I did it and it really looks like the oil filter is right in the way of taking the whole thing off.