The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: MSD Ignition

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 26 of 26
    Sigh... I was hoping you weren't referring to nitrous. Look, its not nitrous, its this little box that sits in the console area and all it says on it is MSD Ignition RPM/TPS Module. Why would I lie about this? Remember, the point of this topic is to figure out what this is so I can get one put in my Galant and kick ass, not to try to make it fake, it is real and I only wanted your guy's help so I can go faster. His Sentra does 0-60 in 8.3 seconds with it off and we haven't measured it with it on, but it definitely does something. Although it is funny that you mention the ECU, because the ECU is just laying there where your feet go in the passenger seat, it's just lying on the floor closest to the firewall front area, pretty much just loosely hanging on ny the wires. I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but I'm pretty sure the module is wired up electronically only. Either way, I just need to find the guy who put that in the car and ask him what it is, because my friends and I can't figure it out or find them on the website, although I haven't tried ebay yet which might not be a bad idea, especially if it is a discontinued product. But yeah, it's not nitrous or even a secret turbo or something because it won't activate when we turn it off, but when its on, and we know its on because when it activates, not only do we notice a big power gain, the module on the console lights up this little red light. And we've done this multiple times, and considering the cars age, if something were to blow up, I'm sure it would've happened by now. Thanks to the previous owner, this little Sentra has lots of rep around town for being fast, which is because of this MSD thing that none of us seems to know what it is. Remember, all I want is help on figuring out what this is, if you don't know, then please, just say you don't know instead of trying to make it fake.

Perhaps a picture of said "MSD box"

BTW, wheel spin seemed normal to me in the video.

Maybe you are referring to this. A tps booster. check the website. Unfortunately, nothing for the galant

http://www.sprintboosterusa.com/default.aspx

Brian O'connor must be driving the sentra
    15 F150 3.5 ecoboost 4x4 - daily driver
    01 Galant ES V6 MT (sold)
    00 Eclipse RS MT

Quote Originally Posted by Black8GV6 View Post
    Brian O'connor must be driving the sentra
    ^^this

UPDATE! Ok, sorry it took so long to figure this out. Finally made contact with the owner who had this Sentra before my friend did. There was an engine swap done to this car (we knew this part), but what we didn't know was that they used the original ECU after the swap. And the stock motor did not have Nissan's Neo VVL (our MIVEC, Honda's VTEC, etc.). So the stock ECU didn't know there was a new motor in it that did have Neo VVL. So all the MSD did was activate it. That's all it did. But, because its a MSD Ignition product, it is controlled through the TPS and at specified RPM's (which we also knew already), but because it is an aftermarket variable valve timing activation, it kicks harder and much quicker, with much less of crossover time. So it isn't just some stock Honda VTEC with stock cams tiny little kick, it's an extremely noticeable kick; which is why I wanted to know and figure out exactly what it was and what it did. So in other words, this MSD Ignition thing will not work for our cars . Here's the exact MSD Ignition product I found on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-TP...2df057&vxp=mtr

Now, the only way I can see this working for our cars is to reprogram the ECU to not activate the MIVEC at all, but then plug in this little guy and have it activate the MIVEC instead. But that sounds like we'd get crap gas mileage just to normally accelerate without using MSD. So basically useless for our cars, or at least unless we can get decent power to move our fairly heavy cars without MIVEC, which the Nissan does, because it only weighs 2,300 lbs.

And yes, activating the Neo VVL also isn't why it could beat GT Mustang's. Apparently, the previous owner was just like Brian 'O Connor and was using a 75 shot of nitrous, (don't know yet or dry, but assuming dry). So that's why it could beat GT Mustang's and also why everyone who sees it thinks that it's so fast. And no, we're aren't using nitrous in it, I think right before my friend bought it the previous owner took out any proof of nitrous lol. So now that we solved that mystery, because we also figured out the correct engine that's sitting under the hood; it's an SR20VE, when we originally thought it was just the SR20DE. The main difference being the SR20DE's did not have Nissan's Neo VVL (which we thought it did). The SR20VE has about 190 HP stock, compared to what we thought it had was 140. So it is definitely still pretty fast without the nitrous system installed, even with the few aftermarket mods. So now you know the whole story and hopefully understand where I was coming from and I forgive the rude comments that I received in this topic and on my rep report thing here. So please, no hard feelings.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12