The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Rack and Pinion question. US to JDM body

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11

Rack and Pinion question. US to JDM body

Will the US Galant 1999 - 2003 model's Rack and Pinion fit into a JDM Galant?

I got my car already finally and it had to be converted from RHD to LHD (mine is a VR-4 import from Japan and it's illegal to drive an RHD here in the Philippines).

Unfortunately, the monkey mechanics botched up the steering.

The right turn is superb and tight but the left turn is GIGANTIC in radius!

If you'll execute a U turn to the left, you'll have to have a 4 lane highway MINIMUM to take the U-turn in one go.

Tight left turns are a problem too and you really have to reverse in taking simple left turns.

My new mechanics here in our local town (different from the one that converted it) said that I'll need a donor Rack and Pinion from a similar model.

Anyway, I browsed thru Ebay.com and found some items there but it fits USDM Galant.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=...l=Galant&rt=nc

Just wondering if these same rack and Pinions for the USDM Galant would fit into the JDM Galant?

Local PHDM Galant Rack and Pinions are hard to find but the ones in ebay are quite abumdant so it's my choice for the donor.

Would it work?

Help!
    =====================================

Formerly 386 kms. apart...

My 8g and I are now together...FOR-E-Vah!!!

Can't speak to any similarity between jdm and USDM Galants. But from previous service knowledge, its possible they installed one of the steering components backwards/upside-down. That would make sense given your explanation of you issues.

Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1 View Post
    Can't speak to any similarity between jdm and USDM Galants. But from previous service knowledge, its possible they installed one of the steering components backwards/upside-down. That would make sense given your explanation of you issues.
    I was hoping for a quick fix for the problem like a simple correction and re-positioning of parts...unfortunately it's not the case.

My mechanic was saying that the reason this was not possible was because of the method the conversion was done.

Dunno what the monkey mechanics did but it seems irreparable

Am still hoping for a miracle though.

Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1 View Post
    I was hoping for a quick fix for the problem like a simple correction and re-positioning of parts...unfortunately it's not the case.

My mechanic was saying that the reason this was not possible was because of the method the conversion was done.

Dunno what the monkey mechanics did but it seems irreparable

Am still hoping for a miracle though.

only way is to look at it and see i dont think any people here have a jdm and usdm model to compare.

you could always get one and see they are only about 40 bucks at a junkyard.

Ok you have. A jdm galant I need as much info about the car and I can look in ASA is the most I can do I have asa Japan and asa Asia and asa north America and Europe, but look at rockauto.com the Europe version might be same as Asia and japan the parts will have a blue flag next to them.

What you need to do is jack up the front. Put the wheels center and steering wheel center. Then turn to the left count how many times you turn it till it stops. Count back to center, then go to the right. No w if your off, youll have more rotations one way than the other. Split the difference. All you gotta do is disconnect the steering knuckle/clamp and rotate The wheels to get center. Now you're steering wheel and steering rack will be centered. All you should have to adjust is the the tie rods

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

Quote Originally Posted by Galantman03 View Post
    What you need to do is jack up the front. Put the wheels center and steering wheel center. Then turn to the left count how many times you turn it till it stops. Count back to center, then go to the right. No w if your off, youll have more rotations one way than the other. Split the difference. All you gotta do is disconnect the steering knuckle/clamp and rotate The wheels to get center. Now you're steering wheel and steering rack will be centered. All you should have to adjust is the the tie rods
    This is what I envisioned listening to the problem.. sounds like they didn't have something centered when they bolted it all up that should get you right

X2
    Shout out to anyone that still uses hand tools for their work
    With elbow grease for power and determination for a battery

Maybe your broke maybe your old school

Me I'm a lil of both

Quote Originally Posted by Galantman03 View Post
    master_visionary@

This is what I envisioned listening to the problem.. sounds like they didn't have something centered when they bolted it all up that should get you right
    this is also what I was imagining...a very simple adjustment..but from the look on my mechanic/shop owner's face when he peeked at the engine bay driver's side and underneath...he frowned...and said that:

"with the way your car was converted, a donor rack and pinion will be needed to correct the problem."

He also mentioned that the VR-4 was too dangerous to drive at high speeds because of the sloppy convertion.

I'll send him your suggestion and will get him to elaborate on what the main problem is and why a simple correction/adjustment won't do.

i'll give details once he PM's me back.

Thanks guys for the replies!

My poor VR-4

Got the reply my current shop...I suggested the one written above...the reply blew my top!

it could be if you have the original rack and pinion, the wrong rack and pinion was placed back.. we're back to the drawing board so to speak

The stupid converters from the orig shop used a different Rack and Pinion on the 8g.

The one they installed on the VR-4 is from a different car!

#%%#%^%#%#@@$!!!!!!!

Heads are going to roll at that former shop 386kms away!!! grr...

So freaking @$#%##%##!!!!%^$^
    Last edited by gian7675; 09-26-2012 at 07:14 PM

Ooh damn hell yeah sue for your money and the proper part and take it to your trusted mechanic .. I'm sorry they played you roll them heads till their necks align like your g
    Shout out to anyone that still uses hand tools for their work
    With elbow grease for power and determination for a battery

Maybe your broke maybe your old school

Me I'm a lil of both