The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Cat or no cat?

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7
    99Ga1ant

Cat or no cat?

I've owned plenty of vehicles without a converter but since this is my first Mitsubishi I was just wondering if there is anything that I should watch out for. The talon exhaust I have did not come with a cat but it has an o2 sensor bung, I'm sure its going to throw a code but will that code cause the ecu to make my car run poorly or different? Would it be easier just to get an aftermarket cat? The length of the exhaust past the resonator is just long enough to reach my flex pipe so adding a cat would mean I have to cut and modify the pipe.
    Last edited by 99Ga1ant; 10-01-2012 at 06:10 PM

If you don't want it to throw a code you can add a spark plug defouler which will place the o2 sensor further away so it wont read a difference. You can buy them at autozone in the help section.

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    you will have to cut the talon exhaust anyway and have it extended a few inches as well in order for it to be the correct length for the galant

If you do what they both said above you should be fine. I've used the o2 method plenty of times works like a charm
    Last edited by deeznutz; 10-01-2012 at 07:42 PM

You are here entirely tooo much!! Corey2kG's Avatar
    I have headers no cats or foulers n no codes. O2s are screwed right in. Just saying lol.

FreakyDeaky

Quote Originally Posted by sponcar View Post
    Always remember "do you, not them" cuz thats what make you different than others :)
    2kG 6g72/74 5 speed

99Ga1ant
    Ok cool Ill do a little research about the foulers and I kno the exhaust pipe needs to be extended but I dont want to buy anything that I don't absolutly have to (trying to save up for rims). I'm pretty sure its the muffler end of the exhaust that needs to be longer, my main objective is to bolt the exhaust up with the 02 sensor bung where it sits now, if I was to put a cat in that means I have to cut and mess with the resonator end of the pipe and I really don't want to go that far.

99Ga1ant
    Got my exhaust on. Everything went pretty smoothly, all the hangers and bends went right where they should. I went with no cat, from the resonator to the downpipe I added 44 total in. (including a new flex pipe) since the old one was shot. I deleted the down stream o2 sensor and rewired the up stream one to extend it back to the bung in the catback. I get a CEL occasionally but no ill effects. My car runs so much better imo, its very loud and raspy tho I'm going to be junking the muffler thats on it and going with magnaflow soon. I repainted the muffler with high temp black gloss paint also, pic below is before it was painted.