The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 8g runs for awhile then cuts off and starts and runs for a second and cuts off again

Showing results 1 to 16 of 16

8g runs for awhile then cuts off and starts and runs for a second and cuts off again

Wats up TGC I'm a noob to the site and to the mitsubishi galant. I'm a proud owner of an 8g galant 2000 ES with 2.4L 4g64. Well the other day I had washed the car and started it and drove it down the road and back to blow dry it off b4 wipedown. I brung the car back and parked it, wiped it down and started it and drove it down the road again. Came back home and parked the car again to finish the detailing part of cleaning the car. So anyway I went to start the car again and it started and ran for a second and cut off. So I tried to start it again and it started and ran for a second and cut off again. This has been going on for awhile now I can drive the car twice a day then that's it lol. I'm lost now and I can really use some help on this. Any input will be greatly appreiciated. Oh and I'm not sure if the immobilizer system has anything to do with it. Had key reprogrammed to pcm b4 this happend. Thanx in advance this is really driving me nuts.

Oh yea the tech at the dealer told me its a wiring problem some where. Someone let me know what you think it could be.

between the throttle body and the firewall there should be a metal braided cable. one end on the firewall, one end attached to the throttle body cable bolt. check for integrity and that its bolted down on both sides
    The "Tumbler" Is Here
    Stock Longblock/Stock PCM | Custom Garrett 50-1 | 17 Psi | Weighing 2xxxLbs
    3xxWHP/3xxWTQ [Current]

Are you talking about the ground cable. I drove the car today for awhile and of course it died on me again but it happend going along the road this time. I was cruising around 60mph and then the car sstarted slowing down on its own and it downshifted all the way to first gear on its own until it came to a complete stop and cut off. Tried restarting it and it cranked and ran for a second then cut off. I can always tell when it will cut off because the rpms will be low around 600-750 rpms. Normally it will go over 1000 rpms and stay running. Anyway I sat there for awhile on the side of the road for about 6-7 minutes and started the car and drove it back home. Then I drove it to gas station which is about 4 miles away from home, and drove it back home just fine

yup the ground cable
    The "Tumbler" Is Here
    3xxWHP/3xxWTQ [Current]

Ill check it out again to make sure its getting contact

Thanx

Sounds good. Keep us posted.
    The "Tumbler" Is Here
    3xxWHP/3xxWTQ [Current]

Did something crazy. Jus because it was free. I got a pcm from a friend it came from another 2000 galant es. So I also got the immobilizer piece and key ignition cylinder. Hooked it all up and the car wouldn't start at all. I think that pcm was bad but I tried it because it was given to me from a friend. well I found that with that pcm my injectors aren't spraying. Fuel is being delivered to the fuel rail but not the injectors. I also have spark too. So what do you think is wrong here. I think its the pcm but not sure. Car did run b4 the pcm switch over. Oh and I removed and cleaned the area where the ground cable makes contact with sand paper and reattached it so that's good to go.

Today I drove the car and it had cut off on me so I popped the hood and unplugged the cranksensor and plugged it back and the car started up and I drove it home with no problems. Got the car home and just left it alone after that

replace your crank sensor.

iirc its 3 wires, one is 5volts, the other is 12volts and ground
    now if u find out you have 5volts and you move the wire around and you lose the 5volts then you have a short, same with the 12v
    i had the same issue with my buddies 3g
    Last edited by finald8ta; 10-21-2012 at 06:37 PM

Ok got a crank sensor, o2 sensor, and MAF sensor today but didn't have time to put them on. Will let you all know when I put them on and what the results are.

Ivory8g how did you get the picture of the 8g that's on your signature

Well it wasn't the crank sensor. Car still doing the samething. Its like when it gets hot it starts to act up

I am having the same problems. its horrible. if anybody know what it is please let me know I appreciate it

Good news guys the problem is finally solved. Bad CAM SENSOR. WTF tho lol. Oh well my 8g is back out terrorizing the streets again lol.