The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: LS V8 in a JDM VR4 Legnum?

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11

LS V8 in a JDM VR4 Legnum?

Just putting this out there as i'm thinking about doing this in the future when my engine finally lets go lol. This being an american based forum i was thinking that you guys would have the best knowledge. Has it ever been done? Obviously i would have to ditch the 4WD and go RWD, cut the bulk head and tranny tunnel for the gearbox. Would the LS motor actually fit?

I've seen the LS V8 put into a lot of cars including Nissan s body cars and they are all pretty small.

At the moment this is just a knowledge gathering exercise so any input would be helpful.

Thanks

Steve

i've looked into it and done some thinking. there is a thread on here where a bloke stuck a 2j in a galant, he used a supra front subframe and suspension arms etc, so the engine was mounted to that as per factory and the supra gear welded in to suit the galant. it was a bit agricultural though and could be done a bit more...effeciently

same for the LS, you'd need a front subframe and suspension arms/suprights/swaybars from a north south mounted car. a jap car with an LS conversion kit/ custom everything would be the way to go. that way you can buy say adjustable arms to suit a silvia and adapt an LS engine conversion kit front sikky or similar. strut top mounts from the vr4 would need to be cut and strengthed to suit the new suspenion. this would/could also eliminate the horrible turning circle of vr4's.

frame rails would need to be modded to suit the new subframe.

the tunnel and firewall would need to be modded to suit the new gearbox and shifter.

rear diff and axles would need to be modded / upgraded to suit the new power, you're sending nearly 200% more power through an already fragile rear end.

i'd say its doable, not cheap but damn it'd be good.

anything can be done with enough time and money just like unclepaulie said Samman in kuwait put the 2jz motor in the galant just take your time when fabricating and be sure to keep us posted and show it off here when your done lol

I've been thinking somewhat similar. Since selling mom's C6 Vette with an LS2 I've been missing that power. Except I was thinking of sticking with a Mitsu powerplant. There is a guy here in the US that can make custom bell housings. I was thinking of building a turbo 6G75 and converting to RWD. But being that I've always been a Chevy guy and put many miles on 5th Gen SS Camaros and LS2/3 Vettes I am ridiculously excited to hear more about this!

Afaik there is another forum member here in NZ doing a v8 into a Legnum as well. I haven't spoken to him in ages but he was in the design phase I think and had not yet begun.
    Username on ozvr4 is smohekey,dunno if he's on here tho...

Failing my 4wd twin turb ute ill be going v8 as well but this will only be a 2015+ decision, for now I'm happy with the 6A13TT power plant.
    But yes I'd like to go to a 6G7X power plant too
    www.qcustoms.co.nz

I have actually thought of a similar setup for the 7G. LS1 swap with a 6 speed....I think it would be a beast of a project but if you decide to do it PLEASE post up pics and let us know how that shit goes.

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

Quote Originally Posted by qcustoms View Post
    Afaik there is another forum member here in NZ doing a v8 into a Legnum as well. I haven't spoken to him in ages but he was in the design phase I think and had not yet begun.
    Username on ozvr4 is smohekey,dunno if he's on here tho...

Failing my 4wd twin turb ute ill be going v8 as well but this will only be a 2015+ decision, for now I'm happy with the 6A13TT power plant.
    But yes I'd like to go to a 6G7X power plant too
    hes lost interest in the v8 legnum ute. and is now looking to pour money into a 1uzfe mk4 supra he now owns. something about quad turbo's

oh man we were just talking about this today at the shop
    The "Tumbler" Is Here
    Stock Longblock/Stock PCM | Custom Garrett 50-1 | 17 Psi | Weighing 2xxxLbs
    3xxWHP/3xxWTQ [Current]

LS V8 in a JDM VR4 Legnum?

Where the hell was I when this thread got started?! It would be at the very least neat if somebody actually did drop in a v8 into any galant
    Just because something is old, doesn't mean you throw it away

Geordi La Forge

I say use a vk56 de from a Nissan... 5600cc quad cam v8 in a legnum *drooooool*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYpWS...eature=related OMG listen to that whine!!!! just needs a cracker and cheese.

Shame tho.. My ute is set for delivery 20 sumethingth of December lol... Can't wait
    www.qcustoms.co.nz