The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Best $40 I've spent so far

Showing results 1 to 20 of 20
    99Ga1ant

Best $40 I've spent so far

Got the adapter from Pep Boys for $15 and the air filter was $25 at Autozone. Sounds very nice and great throttle response.

Those gains you think you felt are 100% placebo.

99Ga1ant
    It does have better throttle reponse, no one can tell me any different. If I can do a 0-60 numerous times before and after and easily shave time off then yes it is a gain very small but still a gain. I know its not a sports car by any means, so in conclusion its not what I felt, stop watches don't lie.

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue8g View Post
    Those gains you think you felt are -100% placebo.
    these throw off the volumetric efficiency of the Galant. i did the same thing and had it for like 2 years. went back to stock for SMOG and it has more pep now. IMO our stock air boxes work better than just adding a cone filter in there

Quote Originally Posted by IVORY_G View Post
    never pull out, always squeeze inside! LOL!

Would that be the case for v6's as well? B4 I changed my muffler, I loved the sound of my filter + adapter. Even if it didn't add noticeable power, I would've needed a new filter as part of maintenance after taking ownership

Even with my Eclipse, it seems to do nothing more than add sound.
    '99 5-Speed GTZ: Forged 3.6L 6G74T 6764 E85
    2017: 552whp/562wtq SBE on 19psi
    '02 Eclipse GT: 6G72 M/T-swapped Daily Driver
    '10 Endeavor: 6G75 AWD Family-mobile

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    i dunno about the V6, but unless you get Ram Air or a properly placed CAI all it does is give you a nice sound lol

Quote Originally Posted by IVORY_G View Post
    never pull out, always squeeze inside! LOL!

Yeah what made me wonder if v6's benefited more was when I had my s14 I had an injen intake, and I think just the adapter+filter alone on my G had more soujd than the intake on the 240. So I was wondering if its because having 6 cylinders there's more intakr of air? I know the injen intake was dyno proven on the 240, and the gains were noticeable, but nothing drastic. So I guess I'm saying it wasn't much more impressive than just the filter on my galant.

Quote Originally Posted by E_Emerson88 View Post
    edit:

these throw off the volumetric efficiency of the Galant. i did the same thing and had it for like 2 years. went back to stock for SMOG and it has more pep now. IMO our stock air boxes work better than just adding a cone filter in there
    would have to agree ive done the pepboys adapter w/ cone went back to modded stock box sounds better and seems to be more responsive then the cone not very flashy but effective but i still thinkin about getting a cold air to see if theres any change and make it look better

Quote Originally Posted by 99Ga1ant View Post
    It does have better throttle reponse, no one can tell me any different. If I can do a 0-60 numerous times before and after and easily shave time off then yes it is a gain very small but still a gain. I know its not a sports car by any means, so in conclusion its not what I felt, stop watches don't lie.
    Stop watches don't lie? Unless you where at the track and got actual numbers in th 1/4 mile then yes stop watches dont lie if not then there is a very very little chance that you actually started and stopped the stop watch on time every time to get valid results.
    Quote Originally Posted by E_Emerson88 View Post
    edit:

Has 0 effect, all it does is add sound the maf can calculate everything out and keep the car running exactly the same. All the differences people "gain" are mental gains.

1996 galant s
    finishing up my 2.4L DOHC, 10.5:1, precision sc60, meth injected MONSTER.

A cone filter can add some throttle response on the v6 and make it sound a lot better but that's it. Even a full cold air intake is worthless unless you get a tune. Once your AFR's are out of the 10's at WOT then you'll see the tiddlywink gains from your stupidly expensive bolt ons.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvertune View Post
    A cone filter can add some throttle response on the v6 and make it sound a lot better but that's it. Even a full cold air intake is worthless unless you get a tune. Once your AFR's are out of the 10's at WOT then you'll see the tiddlywink gains from your stupidly expensive bolt ons.
    That's why I didn't bother with full exhaust or intake.. mainly wanted sound. Spent less than 100 for muffler and filter

Quote Originally Posted by Silvertune View Post
    Hey, be nice. Not all of us can afford to turbo their V6 and the tools to cut a hole in our hood. ;)

Intake on a stock engine = Cool sound, no noticeable gain other than in your own mind.

If you post stupid and incorrect information, you will get red nuggets.

Best $40 I've spent so far

I think the boxes are the same but I swapped my i4 stocker for a v6 stocker.

Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia View Post
    Hey, be nice. Not all of us can afford to turbo their V6 and the tools to cut a hole in our hood. ;)

Intake on a stock engine = Cool sound, no noticeable gain other than in your own mind.
    Says the man who has a new Genesis coupe... lolz
    OZ Rally Crew #001, Quaife Club member :D

Quote Originally Posted by greddy View Post
    Says the man who has a new Genesis coupe... lolz
    Yes, my intake on my GenCoupe sounds awesome... but the car is not new. Its a 2010 with 18k miles. :)

If you post stupid and incorrect information, you will get red nuggets.

will a short ram intake with a long header give more gains then a long header and stoc box/stoc box mod?
    8th Gen Rox
    http://mynccruizer.tumblr.com/
    OBX Long Header 12" Visonik Subwoofers x2
    K&N Typhoon SRI 15" L7 Kicker Solo Baric
    3" Muffler

Yes, but single digit gains so nothing you will feel, it will just sound cool and the exhaust will have a slight different tone (a good thing) if you add a SRI versus stock
    15 F150 3.5 ecoboost 4x4 - daily driver
    01 Galant ES V6 MT (sold)
    00 Eclipse RS MT

But you get torq boosts
    8th Gen Rox
    http://mynccruizer.tumblr.com/
    OBX Long Header 12" Visonik Subwoofers x2
    K&N Typhoon SRI 15" L7 Kicker Solo Baric
    3" Muffler

My cold air on e-bay cost me $25
    T.I. 04 BUILD YOUR OWN