The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oil preassure light flashing really dim at idle???

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Showing results 41 to 49 of 49
    You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Galantman03 View Post
    I'm confused. You're saying that the oil light comes on when its up to temp? My oil light is never on except when the motor is off, cuz well no oil pressure.
    And i might be wrong but doesnt shit expand when it gets hot? And then your clearances would be tighter when hot, and because your clearances are tighter but you have less oil pressure, that's when you start making your shit bigger because of wear and tear?
    i dont understand your post at all. I am responding to Omega, the original poster, as he definitely has a bearing clearance issue developing. I said when its warm it has more clearance than cold as when things warm up they expand. you are wrong in thinking that the clearances will be tighter. the oil light on with the car off is also completely irrelevant to anything.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

Experienced TGC Member OMEGA PHX's Avatar

Tomorrow I'll install a oil pressure gauge, do an engine flush with marvel mystery oil, change the oil and filter and install the new oil pressure sender, I'll update this with my findings. The problem comes and goes since today I drove for about 15-20 minutes engine was at operating temperature but the light wasn't coming on at all, we'll see tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone for helping ;)
    Last edited by OMEGA PHX; 11-30-2012 at 03:46 PM

4g64T 5spd

Don't waste the money on the mystery oil. A worn bearing is a worn bearing. Nothing in a can will ever magically fix an issue. I learned that a while back from my teacher who prepared me for my engine ASE as he was in a machine shop for 30 years and has seen it all.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

^^^This

if the findings are that oil pressure is good then do all the above.. Good luck

Ok guys new oil pressure sender and the gauge is installed, So first of all light isn't turning on anymore on the same situations as it did before, I've recreated what was done on the videos I posted earlier and it isn't turning on.

Now to the gauge readings, at cold start I saw 80+ PSI at like 3k rpms.
    At operating temperature idling at 718 rpms pressure is 10-13 PSI. When I'm at a stop light oil pressure stay the same between 10-12 PSI. While recreating the thing on the video turning the A/C ON the rpms goes to like 620-650 for a second as before, the gauge flashes a 9 PSI for a second and as idle goes up to 718 rpms, oil pressure also goes up and stays between 10-12 PSI.

Oil pressure gauge is a AEM and sender is installed on a oil filter sandwich adapter.

So opinions guys good engine and the old oil sender was bad or oil pressure is still too low and I need a new engine?
    Last edited by OMEGA PHX; 12-01-2012 at 05:24 PM

4g64T 5spd

if the light barely comes on and its only at an idle and now you can watch the actual pressure on a gauge just keep an eye on it. if the pressure drops lower and the light comes on more often especially if it happens while driving then worry. im just glad you now have an actual way to check and monitor it. just keep an eye on it and best of luck
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

Oil pressure light isn't coming On anymore

I'll be checking the gauge often, manual says that at idle it should be 4.2+ psi, I'm seeing 10-12 psi on the gauge, I'm hopefull that it was just a bad sender, thanks ;)
    Last edited by OMEGA PHX; 12-02-2012 at 04:52 PM

4g64T 5spd

Quote Originally Posted by OMEGA PHX View Post

I'll be checking the gauge often, manual says that at idle it should be 4.2 psi, I'm seeing 10-12 psi on the gauge, I'm hopefull that it was just a bad sender, thanks ;)
    Took you long enough Lol!

Glad you got this resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by OMEGA PHX View Post

I'll be checking the gauge often, manual says that at idle it should be 4.2+ psi, I'm seeing 10-12 psi on the gauge, I'm hopefull that it was just a bad sender, thanks ;)
    lol for the 10th time senders don't last forever, cuz the sender went out doesn't mean bearings and other stuff is bad... I'm more concerned with those rpms, 650? Mine never goes below 800. Any who esay fix. dont put stuff in the motor like solvents and mystery oil it could clog the lash adjusters or the oil sender. Just change oil regularly. If you do put solvents in the motor bits of sludge could end up in your sender or lash adjusters.....

One of the ways to know if you have a tired bearing is if when you turn the car off you hear a squeak or a chirp. don't use thicker oils either, 5w30 only right? If you have super low RPM's you could bend a valve in the head. If you wanted to bring the rpm's up a smidge you could turn the red nylon screw with a Philips screw driver a little and rev the car to let it adjust. It's called the BISS or basic idle speed screw and it's located on the top of the throttle body. Another thing is clean that intake regularly but don't ever get any liquids of any kind in the ports of the throttle body. Use a rag or a paper towel with some brake or intake cleaner applied to teh rag or paper towel and just rub the surfaces clean...don't spray anything into it.
    Last edited by thegalant; 12-06-2012 at 02:55 AM

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123