The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Rear Suspension Question on 94 7G

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8

Rear Suspension Question on 94 7G

Hello everyone! I have a quick question for my 7G's suspension. When I drive my car, I often feel a slight shifting from left to right from my rear tires. I jacked up my car's rear end, shook the wheel from left to right, and found that the entire assembly moving with it, along with the rubber bushing. So my question is, could this be fixed by just simply changing the bushing itself? Or is the entire assembly is dangerously getting loose?

I will try to post some pictures later, many thanks for looking this up :)

Oh by the way I have looked it up, it seems that the bushing I was referring to was the upper control arm. Could this be fixed by just replacing the bushing?

It is hard to say for sure without being there but most likely yes. You'll want to check out where the bushing rotted away and see if the metal of the arm is obviously beaten on and deformed. If it is I'd suggest replacing the arm. You may want to check the price of bushings vs just replacing the arm though. Also check the cost of buying a full urethane bushing set for the car. If one is rotted and gone odds are the rest are close behind.
    - Nick, 94 Galant ES - 4G64 DOHC Turbo AWD, E3-16G & Manifold, 780cc inj, fmic, DS-MAP Speed Density

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge..." - Charles Darwin

Listen to this advice
    Shout out to anyone that still uses hand tools for their work
    With elbow grease for power and determination for a battery

Maybe your broke maybe your old school

Me I'm a lil of both

Thank you for the response, I was thinking of replacing it polyurethane bushings when I have some cash to do it. My other question for this post is would it be awfully dangerous to drive my car with this? I am quite worried about the possibility of having the entire assembly fall off while I'm driving. Is that even possible with this kind of problem?

Here are some pics:
    http://rtpada.paminta.com/rtpada.pam...s/DSC_6545.jpg
    This is the upper control arm bushing that has this awful free play.

http://rtpada.paminta.com/rtpada.pam...s/DSC_6543.jpg
    This is another problem that I have discovered recently. The ball-joint bushing seems dead to me.

http://rtpada.paminta.com/rtpada.pam...s/DSC_6544.jpg
    And here is another part where the bushing seems to be rotten.

There is no way for the arm to fall off at that joint unless some of the metal fails, meaning the bolt or the arms would have to crack/tear. That isn't terribly likely. If the ball joints on the other arms fail you're in trouble as those CAN fall off. I'd suggest doing a full evaluation of all the suspension joints. You can do this by using a pry bar to see if the ball joints have play. Just pry them up/down and left/right. If they have translational movement not just rotational movement they are toast.
    - Nick, 94 Galant ES - 4G64 DOHC Turbo AWD, E3-16G & Manifold, 780cc inj, fmic, DS-MAP Speed Density

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge..." - Charles Darwin

Thanks, it takes a weight off my shoulders to hear that. By the way, I have heard that certain eclipse models have similar suspension systems as the 7g,and I thought of widening my search for poly bushings in ebay. Do you know any particular models that share the same suspension design as a 7g Galant? I did a search on Eclipse bushings and they seem to be cheaper than Galant bushings.

It is the 95-99 Eclipse that shares a suspension with the 7g. Glad I could help :)