The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Cracked Intake Manifold -Help Please

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12

Icon4 Cracked Intake Manifold -Help Please

I was removing the intake hose to clean the throttle body last night and today i started the car to find it stumbling and misfiring all over the place. I looked and found that the intake manifold was cracked. I had to really tug on the intake hose to get it off even though I loosened it all the way, it was just stuck on from being on for so long. So I have this crack and I am wondering if any one knows how to remove the intake manifold so I can patch it up with some jb weld or put a new one on. The crack is right on the opposite side of the throttle body, there is a square piece of it and it turns into a round piece and distributes into 4 pipes that go to the engine, this is a 4 banger. I could really use some help I gotta be at work in the morning and I just gotta have this fixed by the morning...its my only car...

I believe there is not an easy fix. I had mine crack last year and went to a pick and pull and put on myself. Its pretty straight forward but very time consuming.
    Slowly but its getting done
    2001 galant es

Go to the 8G service manual thread and download the service manual. From there click on the one that says "Engine Overhaul 2.4L" and download it (requires you making an account on 4shared). Your IM removal procedures start on page 22. Hope this helps, and good luck. Best bet is to hurry print those instructions, take them with you to a local u-pull-it junkyard and get to work before you run out of daylight.

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

FML! I found one for 180 at a used parts place... I gotta call the boss and say I can't come in or drive it like this (I can't afford to miss work)... How bad is this for the inlet ports and engine? I guess it could crack more and more and then I might be stuck on the side of the road. Jeez...

Quote Originally Posted by wetamup2k3g View Post
    Go to the 8G service manual thread and download the service manual. From there click on the one that says "Engine Overhaul 2.4L" and download it (requires you making an account on 4shared). Your IM removal procedures start on page 22. Hope this helps, and good luck. Best bet is to hurry print those instructions, take them with you to a local u-pull-it junkyard and get to work before you run out of daylight.

Thanks for the quick reply, it says file invalid when I try to go to the part 1 and 2 download pages... Do I download and install this 4share and then it will work?

part 2 was valid and I got it.

Alright any one wanting to download the 8G manual from there scross to the bottom where the Italicized text is and there is a link thats hard to see to a zip version, the rar version on that page just above is fudged.

Icon1

Alright... This is what happened. It's sunday, nothings open, tomorrow I can go buy a used Intake Manifold for 50-180 bucks or wait til friday since I don't work fridays and take the intake manifold off so my uncle can weld the crack. I think I should weld it frikin solid so there is no chance of this happening again. What I did to temporarily fix it is I used 3 blood taking straps which are like big fat rubber bands and I coated them in Vaseline and wrapped them around the crack and tied them tight. I was going to try and paint JB weld onto the crack but I figured that would mess up my welding plan. This is working great, the car idles and runs smooth. Brilliant idea if you ask me -hopefully is lasts til friday and crisis averted!

Cracked Intake Manifold -Help Please

Good job.

Sent from an iPhone...sorry:(

Experienced TGC Member njjfudge's Avatar

Re: Cracked Intake Manifold -Help Please

Getting it welded is ur best bet. I replaced mine the first time it cracked, and a little over a year later the replacement cracked. I had the new one welded and have had no problems, and that was over 4 years ago.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

2001 w/Old Style VR-4 front conversion

Re: Cracked Intake Manifold -Help Please

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...d=160876407965

Hope this help

Sent from my LG-LS855 using Tapatalk 2

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    Mine broke completely off and Im waiting for one to come in now. I just removed mine today and it wasnt so hard but it was a pain in the ass sort of to get to the bolts on the bottom of the manifold. And I had to go under the car to remove the bracket bolts.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678