The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Racecar Rebuild: its been awhile!

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112
Showing results 221 to 236 of 236
    lol that's gonna be alot fun for the passengers!!

Experienced TGC Member 6G72gearhead's Avatar
    Getting an excessive acceleration ticket.

Ok, ran event 11 and 12 this weekend, so far I have the video from the first one done, I've just been crazy busy. So here's my runs from the morning trying to clear off the marbles and warm up the tires, oh, and it helps to not drive like a ham fisted baboon!

In other news, the 740 wagon project is coming along, I've gotta fab up engine and transmission mounts before we can put the T56 and 5.3 in. My old set of JIC's are getting new use in this car. I'm currently working of fabricating knuckles that will accept the JIC damper. With the coilovers set up to give the car a good 2"-3" drop a set of Kaplhenke racing steering arms should get me to some 80* of steering angle. This thing should run fantastic once I'm done!
    RIP: Colin McRae, you will be missed.
    "I shall go before thee and make the crooked places straight."

2001 ES V6 M/T under construction
    1991 Volvo 244ti 300 whp daily driver
    www.gooichimotorsports.com

I let a buddy of mine test his mettle in the car for the 2nd runs, which he did very well given the fact that he hasn't driven the car before, or driven an autocross before, or really driven a fwd hard before, so don't give him too much crap.

So here is the comparison video between our runs.

Experienced TGC Member
    Damn bro!! That is so bad ass!!

Apparently a buddy of mine was parked right next to you bro!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2000 Galant bagged and boomin!

Small world!

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

He looked like he was having fun. He really needs to be in Street Prepared or Street Modified though, he was in street class, which means his CF hood and change of wheels and tyres, as well as what looks like aftermarket suspension. Looks like he has a pretty sweet set up he just needs to be in the right class.

Jake, if he's planning on coming out next year feel free to let him have my number and I'll help get him in the correct class!

In other news hopefully r-compound tyres will be on the Galant for next season!

Ight I'll talk to him and see what's what! Honestly I've been thinking about getting into it when I get out of school XD obviously with a different car but still...

You're runnin 255/(?) right?

I've been going back through the massive amount of pictures that have been taken of my car over the past season, and I found this Gem!

Lol, nailed it!

Been quiet for awhile working on projects for the shop, figured I'd share this since I think it turned out awesome. This is my 2nd time welding titanium, especially tubing this thin, maybe .030" wall and the diameter is only the size of my index finger.

Saw that on FB, that is pretty damn good! Are you using a tig? (Can't remember what Sam has)

And what is that part?

TIG is the only way to run for Ti, MIG just isn't precise enough. There might be a way to do it with MIG, but it would take a specialized set up. Then you would lose the advantage of Ti which is where it will fuse without filler.

The rod end was machined incorrectly and the tube had a crack in it, so its just scrap to practice with.

Its been quite awhile, I hate to be out of it for so long but I have a lot of stuff on my plate.

Finally graduated from PSU with my Bachelors degree.

My boss decided to upgrade to a new job that will allow him to achieve his goal of moving to Florida, so I took the opportunity to gather some funds and pick up a bunch of equipment, materials and a space I can use to keep moving forward on my own. So now its on to getting things rolling to get some income into the shop.

One of the things I've been doing has involved picking up an Evo 7, 8, and 9 roll center correction kit, which almost works for our platform. So close in fact that I can't actually make a damn wedge spacer to make the ball joint fit the control arm. Now maybe there is issue with the control arm I'm using for mock-up as it was replaced due to the ball joint being able to spin inside its mount, however it still measures about .7mm smaller than the Galant/Eclipse ball joint.

Aside from the difference in the outer barrel diameter of the joint literally everything else is the same.

Now simply adapting the kit to the vehicle isn't my end goal, I'm taking what I have learned in building adjustable control arms, no full details yet, but I will have them adjustable for both caster and camber. If all goes to plan there will be two versions, one with rebuildable spherical bearings, and one using polyurathane bushings for those of you street driven folk.

Once I get prototypes finalized to a production model I will get pricing and color options posted up as I will be setting up my powdercoat system.

I plan to utilize a similar design for the rear upper arms in order to minimize the extreme toe in these cars suffer from as the rear suspension is compressed closer to its limits. As I've measured from where my ride height is and where toe has been set, when compressed 3" there is a change of over 1/4" inwards, with camber also increasing tremendously.

What you all have to realize about rear toe in is that it will stabilize the tail end of the car, which is good, unless you drive a FWD car, like ours. To get the maximum handling response out of FWD cars you need to use the back end for a little turning, when toe'd in the rear end does exactly the opposite of that. With our rear suspension set up static toe responds very well with around 1/8" toe out upon corner entry, as the suspension loads to the outside and compress's the camber change causes the toe to go to up to over 1/8" in. This causes the rear thrust angle to change directions and transfer weight back to the inside, and then droop and the thrust angle once again changes direction, and this starts the fight back and forth. This makes the rear end feel as if its riding on a wobbly razor blade trying to sway back and forth, the stickier the tire and the smoother the driver the more dramatic this effect becomes.

If the rear upper arms pivot point is moved upward as it attaches to the vehicles body the camber curve will be changed reducing the progressive camber increase as the suspension compresses.

Again, this will be available in spherical bearing and polyurathane versions.

I feel its about time some serious parts came out for this platform and I'm in a position to make that a reality.

I've been working with a company called Steinjager to provide the bearings and bushings I will use, they have been around for a good many years providing such products for the off-road and fabrication community, and after the run of parts I build I will be making sure spherical bearing rebuilds and similar parts are available. Also even though I must say I plan to move my production to beyond our platform I will keep the design and materials list to continue support after I have ceased production.

I talk about after production plans because even though I have enjoyed my time with this community and this platform but I must be realistic in understanding the market is small and will not support an extended focus. That being said though, I will be available to help support these after I have made them and I am more than happy to help anyone with custom fabrication needs.

That's badass man! I'm stoked to see what you come up with

Ive been wondering were you been! Looking forward to it and good luck in your new endeavor!!

Still working on design, I want these to be stronger and lighter than factory, the issue is keeping them adjustable. I have a couple ideas for that, but its not as straight forward as you might think.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112