The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 5spd swap*update W/PICS*

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 79
    Experienced TGC Member HeadAche's Avatar

5spd swap*update W/PICS*

I've done my own amount of research seeing as how my L10 tranny has turned to complete shit, after less than a year of use.. With the Help of Laz, we found a 01 Eclipse to transplant the 5spd into the my Galant. What is everyone's own ideas about the coming swap, parts i should look into getting, and just any other info you guyz/girls may have. Just looking for everyones insite of there thoughts of the swap 2 be done on my car. All of your help is appreciated and taken into consideration...
    I Shook You At The Track, My Boyz Threw Asprin On The Floor, They Said Now You Gotta Headache...

The illiterate of the twenty-first century will not be those who can not read or write, but those who can not learn, un-learn and re-learn.

Well, not to point out the little things to such and old school member but.... we have covered the swap in the past do a search. I personally did research on the swap as well and it didnt' look like that big of a pain in the ass. I would also look on neweclipse.org they have had people go from autos to 5 speed there too.

Wes
    Another fine post brought to you By:
    The Manâ„¢
    Search the boards first please!

balln8g
    Its not hard at all....it just take the $$$$ to get it done. I have a friend who is an autotechnician who was gonna do this for me using the 2000 V6 5-speed tranny off an Eclipse. Parts alone were gonna run me about 3 G's. Thats buying a brand new tranny from the dealer and all the linkage,misc. parts, ECU, and the clutch from a junkyard. Labor,,,he was gonna charge me a grand to weld the new tranny mounts, install the tranny, ECU, and get everything in tune. I decided not to do it because I changed directions on how I was gonna mod my ride. I started out modding for GO, but fell back to modding for show so I dropped the idea......good luck.

for personal reasons I am staying with the auto tranny I don't 3g's is far off the mark. for that kind of money I can have my auto rebuilt and the torque converter bullet proofed with money to burn. I'm still going for all GO just not with the 5 speed.

Wes
    Another fine post brought to you By:
    The Manâ„¢
    Search the boards first please!

shane, when you get it done, hit me up with ALL the details. im looking for a salvaged eclipse to take the tranny. good luck bro.
    From Boost Addicts to Carbon Fanaticsâ„¢ www.socalautowerks.com

Censee: Im trying to pimp some hoes for money for the lsd. 3/28/2011
    Cali: Sig 3/28/2011

Not sure why this was in Customizing so I am moving it to performance.

www.edelhausrottweilers.com

Drama? I handle 150lb rotties all day, I can handle your drama...

TGC Regular
    i wana start lookin into this yet again... im startin to put togheter a turbo now for my ride hopefully i will have the needed parts by the end of summer and put together during winter while the car's getting a paint job and kit and the turbo put on and whats a turbo without a manual tranny to play with? :twisted:
    - Atba

I was planning on the same thing...I got around 4g's for the total setup...I 'm still thinking about it myself. I kinda wanted the sportronic but I want the 5spd for the power....

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cali)</div><div class='quotemain'>shane, when you get it done, hit me up with ALL the details. im looking for a salvaged eclipse to take the tranny. Â*good luck bro.</div>

no problem bro, good thing is i just found a tranny today.. 01 Eclipse 5spd, with less than 10,000 miles on it.. The guy i talked to out here, said he would sell me the tranny and everything with it for $700.. Im hoping to get in monday at the earliest once i hear from the bank.. The whole swap will cost me less than 2g's.. with a upgraded ACT cluth, 2100lbs pressure plate, and a light weight flywheel.. wish my luck i know im going to need it..
    I Shook You At The Track, My Boyz Threw Asprin On The Floor, They Said Now You Gotta Headache...

The illiterate of the twenty-first century will not be those who can not read or write, but those who can not learn, un-learn and re-learn.

no problem bro, good thing is i just found a tranny today.. 01 Eclipse 5spd, with less than 10,000 miles on it.. The guy i talked to out here, said he would sell me the tranny and everything with it for $700.. Im hoping to get in monday at the earliest once i hear from the bank.. The whole swap will cost me less than 2g's.. with a upgraded ACT cluth, 2100lbs pressure plate, and a light weight flywheel.. wish my luck i know im going to need it..[/quote]

Hey Kemist, thats a damn good price..if I can get that tranny I found what shop are you getting to do the switch...I'll drive down to Florida to get it done...

damn dude, defeniately keep us informed how the swap went...
    I am really interested to see the resoults...
    Check out my ride at:
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/djgalant

The only 8g west cost 4g64 Turboed Galant.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kemist aka Shane)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cali)</div><div class='quotemain'>shane, when you get it done, hit me up with ALL the details. im looking for a salvaged eclipse to take the tranny. Â*good luck bro.</div>

no problem bro, good thing is i just found a tranny today.. 01 Eclipse 5spd, with less than 10,000 miles on it.. The guy i talked to out here, said he would sell me the tranny and everything with it for $700.. Im hoping to get in monday at the earliest once i hear from the bank.. The whole swap will cost me less than 2g's.. with a upgraded ACT cluth, 2100lbs pressure plate, and a light weight flywheel.. wish my luck i know im going to need it..</div>

Shane, I found one up here off an 02 3g and get this one of my boys fam works there lol can u say discount lol

Ed the name of the shop is Called Maxi auto repair, its doesnt sound like the typical shop to do things like this, but he deals with everyone who is from the Island's, and he does really damn good work, he suggested I do the swap even though i already knew i was going to do it, as soon as he told me what the hell was wrong..

Dj you know im going to keep you guyz updated, hell if it wasnt for a lot of the headz on here, i would be ass outta luck..lol..

Mante, you know you gotta get the manual you got the monster motor your working on, so get the discount and do it up homie.. Then we can both take it to the track and see whats really good..lol..

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kemist aka Shane)</div><div class='quotemain'>

Mante, you know you gotta get the manual you got the monster motor your working on, so get the discount and do it up homie.. Then we can both take it to the track and see whats really good..lol..</div>

unfortunately the f5mc (Im off a letter or so) thats on the I4 wont fit on my 6a13 obviously. going by layouts the usdm fwd trans "should" bolt up if thats the case they yea once I find one its mine. that I4 m/t is up for you laz, baccas or whomever around wants to venture to the land of clutch

Potr
    call the auto parts salvage shops around your area they one will find a tranny, shift assembly, clutch, fly wheel, master cylinder, harness, ecu (not sure if you can use the automatic one) brakets, everything to switch it... the tranny alone should be 800 no more... the other stuff new will run you around another 800 to 1g but you can also get those ripped out as well for around maybe 1500 at least... thats how much it will be to do my 01 4 cyl without labor... labor will cost probably another g but thats just an estimate off the top of my head.

I believe you ahve to get the ecu too, good thing is an ecu will fit in a pocket ( large pocket) or tool box

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mante)</div><div class='quotemain'>I believe you ahve to get the ecu too, good thing is an ecu will fit in a pocket ( large pocket) or tool box </div>

You do have to switch ecu's from what i have read and heard from the 1g DSM guyz...and LAz i think it is time to travel to the land of clutch...lol

One point I want to raise: Do manual trans Ecu have a fuel cutoff or any other limiters like the auto 2000+? If so then you definitly have something to worry about...Im not sure about u but in the long run I see myself going aem EMS to bypass all the ecu whoaaaa's, more control of the motor etc.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mante)</div><div class='quotemain'>One point I want to raise: Â* Â*Do manual trans Ecu have a fuel cutoff or any other limiters like the auto 2000+? Â* If so then you definitly have something to worry about...Im not sure about u but in the long run I see myself going aem EMS to bypass all the ecu whoaaaa's, more control of the motor etc.</div>

I would doubt it, becuase i havent heard a word about it...And you would think the 3g guyz would know for sure, but they havent spoken or posted anything about a fuel cutoff. but i will keep looking into it though..

<span style='color:red'>I just wanted everyone to know that the swap is complete and i will be posting pics in the next day or 2. That i know of im the first one in the country with it, pretty cool i guess.* If anyone has questions about it feel free to ask.. Thanks to Laz and Mante for all there kick ass help...</span>

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast