The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: shift knob ?

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8
    GalantLadie

shift knob ?

its proably been asked before but i found nothing with the search fuction, n-e-ways i was wondering if i bought a shift knob made for a manuel shift if i could use it on my car, basicly is there a way to disconnect the wire for that lil button we need to push to get the shifter to move, so the shift slides without pushing anything??

thanks for any info :mrgreen:

I could be wrong, but I beleieve the answer is no. You need an Automatic shift knob to activate that lockout. I suppose you could disable the lockout all together, but then you could easily throw the car into reverse while driving. The transmission wouldn't do anything because of it's own lockout, but the shifter wouldn't deadhead into each gear. Hope that makes sense.
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

aeon
    what's up...
    the button is not connected to a wire, but to an angled piece of plastic that allows the inner shaft of the shifter to be pressed straight down, thereby releasing the gear lock.
    without doing any permanent mods, you can remove your factory shifter, by unscrewing it and lifting straight off. that triangular piece of white plastic is the part that will need to be cut to add an aftermarket shift knob. i was nervous cutting the plastic, but after you do it, and put on your new shifter...you will be pleased...it looks hot.

just a word of advice...
    start your cut higher than you think you'll need it...
    i cut mine flush with the metal, so the aftermarket shifter sits really low.
    i didn't mean to cut that much off, but there was no turnin' back...

peace,
    aeon :firedevil:

putting a manual shift knob on an automatic can be done but u need some custom fabrication and a whole lotta imagination. you can still retain the lockout too. so yea you remove remove your stock knob. all u will have is that plastic inner shaft that goes down right. what u gotta do is make it so that ur new manual shift knob becomes a button. u push down on the knob and that moves that white plastic piece. thats the easy part. the hard part im thinking of is locking the shift knob down so it won't come off and so that the knob can still be pushed up and down. but yea that takes a whole lotta imagination and time there.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

GalantLadie
    thanks guys i wasnt sure how the whole shift button thing work, i found a really nice cf shift knob in pepboys believe it or not. so if all i have to do is cut a lil peice of plastic to disable the gear lock then i should have no problem installing this new shifter (just as long as the new shifter fits)

Hey aeon do u have any pictures of ur shift knob?????

I would not mess with that if I were you. The way Pinoy explains how to do it is alot harder than it sounds. Just cutting the plastic is not going to bypass the shift lock. All that will do is allow the shift knob to slide on further. That's what I had to do to fit my automatic knob on. Click here to see a quick tutorial I made for installing an automatic shift knob. You best bet to make the car look like it's a manual is to get a buttonless automatic shift knob. It has no buttons and you push it down to shift. A member or two on this board have them.

GalantLadie
    i dont mind having a shifter with a button, its just that i bought a shift boot that came with a shifter for 20 bucks and i though maybe there would be some way to bypass the shift lock and use that shifter. well if i cant use it then i might sell it, at least i have the shift boot which is really what i wanted

Tiptronic
    you can get some custom oem styles here

http://www.truckstuffusa.com/shiftknobs10000x.html