The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Another SOHC to DOHC swap question?

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8
    Rasko Da Gama

Another SOHC to DOHC swap question?

I have 1991 6'th G with 2.0L AWD SOHC engine. Is it possible to put in DOHC engine and keeping my AWD 5spd manual tranny? What other modifications has to be made to get it right?

I saw an add today that someone is selling whole 1991 Eclipse with DOHC 16V engine by parts!!! If he has good engine - I should consider this...

Rasko Da Gama
    Anybody???

I was also considering sth else... What if I install DOHC engine head, valve cover and 2 DOHC cams... on original block? I know it was done, but what else has to be considered? Does the ECU has to be changed too?

TGC Regular
    i say do the swap only thing is i don't know if your tranny from the SOHC will work with DOHC.

Rasko Da Gama
    Tranny... yes, that is a good point...

Rasko Da Gama
    I called the guy... He said the engine is in awsome condition (it is 1992 an not 1991), i t has about 80.000 miles on it, but he already sold the tranny... He wants $700 USD for it - the price is good as far as I am conserned.

But again, anybody please - what about the tranny? :?: :?: :?:

ConceptSleeper
    ill take a look at my tranny and at my friends Talon TSi AWD tranny and see if there are any differences, they are both the 4g63 engine ill get it up asap!!

GaLaNt_DOHC_89
    if i'm not mistaken the SOHC and DOHC use the same blocks.
    So it should work. you may have to put a better clutch in if it
    is a 5 spd

J apmetal
    If yours is 4G63 SOHC and the new one is 4G63 DOHC the only differences are with the engine itself; you might find your gearbox has different ratios to the DOHC one but it should all line up since they're both for AWD

8) WELCOME TO MY WORLD 8)