The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 8g only cranks when fuel is poured in the throttle body

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 25

8g only cranks when fuel is poured in the throttle body

Wats up TGC I'm back with another problem with my 8g. After I changed the cam sensor car was fine. Then one day I got home around 12pm cut the car off and by 2 I was ready to go to work and the car would just turn over but wouldn't start. So then I held the key for bout 10seconds and it finally caught and started and ran fine. So I left it at home and caught a ride to work. Next day it wouldn't start until I held th key again for bout 30 seconds but this time it cut back off like it ran out of gas. So I tried pouring fuel in the throttle body and it will start and burn that little bit of fuel and cut off. So its not getting fuel or getting enough fuel to the engine for some reason. Does anyone have any thoughts of what the problem could be or if anyone has had this problem before.

Re: 8g only cranks when fuel is poured in the throttle body

One of few options...

Cam sensor
    Fuel pump relay
    Fuel pump fuse
    Fuel pump

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    2.4L - AWD - 5SPEED - PTE 6057 at __PSI w/Wavetrac LSD

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    You have narrowed it down to a fuel issue already. The car seems like its not building the necessary pressure it needs to stay running so I would suspect the fuel pump. If it were still the sensor it would never turn over just crank.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

Step 1: see if fuel is coming out the fuel rail when cranking
    Possible symptoms;: 1 power supply to the fuel pump .2 failing fuel pump
    Step 2: if fuel is coming out the injector are not opening
    Possible symptoms: check Immobilizer system. Make sure key is program

My brother had a fuel pump problem where it would start after cranking it after awhile but only stay running a few seconds. I would bet this.

Lancer/EvolutionX Rotor Glow Paint
    6g74 Forged Engine w/ hx40 turbo
    Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

This forum is used for assistance with the forum software and website. Please use the following forum for issues relating to your car:
    https://www.thegalantcenter.org/foru...s-8th-Gen-Only

Thank you

I changed pressure regulator and fuel pump. I switched the pump relay around with the A/T relay and the car started right up and ran for awhile until it died out again. But the relays sound good. Nice strong clicks when you cut the key on.

Clicks don't mean a relay is good, that being said they almost never fail. They can click but the contacts don't touch so it's an open which means the car wouldn't run or they can barely contact the contact and have very high resistance which would cause a terrible voltage drop across the relay and you wouldn't have enough power for the pump to run. I don't know what made you switch the relay but all you did was cause a point of suspicion that doesn't need to be there. Buy a can of starting fluid and spray that in the intake and if it starts then its a fuel issue, if not is spark or compression. Check for spark at the plugs just make sure to pull the fuel pump relay to not flood the engine.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

Thanx I have fuel spraying out of the fuel injectors but I still think its a fuel problem. How do check fuel pressure in my 8g. I don't see a port for me to hookup a pressure gauge

fuel is coming out of this injectors at what kind of rate and how did you test it? there is no port on 7gs i know and 8gs are probably the same, im sure you dont want to spend the money on the tool to check it either.

refer to the list of 4 things posted earlier
    cam sensor could be a bad sensor honestly but we have to make sure everything checks out before going back to that

pump relay cant be if you are getting fuel

pump fuse also getting fuel so cant be this

pump itself your symptoms best describe this as it will start after cranking for a while meaning everything else is doing its job, while cranking the pump can finally build enough pressure to start and run it. honestly a fuel pump isnt a bad job or expensive.

also remember im a tech so im trying to tell you the right way, check for spark and fuel and trust the compression is there. checking fuel and spark helps eliminate things. if you get spark you can eliminate the cam sensor meaning its the pump and you dont have to worry about testing pressure.
    Last edited by Galanttuner10; 11-22-2012 at 02:18 AM
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

Thanx again I pulled the rail off with the injectors still plugged to the harness and started cranking the car and saw fuel spraying but don't know the rate at which it was spraying. Which tool is it that I need to check fuel pressure on my car or can I get an adapter for a fuel pressure tester kit

You really are missing the point here. Check for freaking SPARK. If you have spark then just replace the damn pump. If you have no spark then you have more issues. This is my last post helping you unless you check for spark.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

8g only cranks when fuel is poured in the throttle body

What we are saying is if you like in every sho manual, fixing car problems is about identifying the problem through step by step diagnoses of elimination and trial and error. Its the only way to make sure you don't just throw money at things, or fix things that don't need to be fixed.

As bgood is saying this is a step by step process. Now think with me please. You don't have the tool to check for fuel pressure so why become so hung up on it when you can pull a spark plug and check for spark with no tools and use that to easily rule out any sensor. You can go spend the 300 bucks on the fuel pressure tester but just check the spark for free.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

Well I guess I didn't post that. I thought I did but if I didn't. I have spark I just don't know bout the fuel pressure that's why I asked what tool I need to check the pressure. I'm not trying to be a smart ass but I wouldn't be asking about fuel pressure if I knew I didn't have spark.

If you have spark then it's either compression or fuel. Did it crank long to start before this as I would worry about compression then.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

I had that problem once after I had let the car sit for about 2 and a half weeks. Went to start the car and it was spinning over easily like the timing belt broke. So I just kept turning it over until compression built up and it ran. Well guess ill be checking compression in my motor then. The reason I didn't think compression was too low was because as soon as you pour gas in the throttle body the car would start right up and run

Look at my first post. I said you had narrowed it down to a fuel issue but after all this running around I would have to see the car in person because I can't seem to understand what's going on. You add fuel in the intake manifold and it starts right up, now is that with the Intake off the car? I prefer leaving the intake on and using starting fluid or ether and try it. If the intake was off and the MAF unplugged then it could be a MAF that completely died. I need you to give answers of how you have checked and did things so I can help you eliminate things.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

I had the intake on while starting the car and it ran. Pulled the intake hose off sprayed fuel in it and put it back on and started the car. Everytime the car starts and runs ill hold the throttle open and it will run until it has burn all the fuel that I poured in the throttle body

Pull the fuel feed line off the fuel rail and put it in a cup or a bottle. Have someone crank the car - if fuel streams out then the fuel pump is fine and you are looking for electrical problem with the injectors. If no fuel comes out or its very slow then your fuel pump is shot or it doesnt get voltage.
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast