The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: What is involved in taking 4g64 engine out of car

Showing results 1 to 5 of 5

Icon11 What is involved in taking 4g64 engine out of car

hey I decided i am going to keep my galant and need to take an engine out of the junkyard to get swapped out with blown engine.

What is involved in taking out the engine out of the car in the junkyard? Do I need any special tools to remove the tranny from the engine?

The cars are up on blocks at the junkyard for easy access, will I have to use jackstand or something to support motor? or will it stay braced in the car until its pulled out with the loader?

If you guys can list what I will have to do/disconnect - what tools I will need - it will be greatly appreciated.
    I have to travel out of state to where I used to live to get this engine out in 1 day if possible..I am very mechanically inclined just never done this

its a 4g64 engine...2.4cyl...5spd ...

Also my car is a 5spd..do I have to find a galant with a 5spd or will the 4g64 bolt up to ethier tranny? auto or manual
    KYB Adjustable Shocks & Struts
    Eibach Pro-Kit Springs
    NGK Plugs & Wires
    Proline 240 amp alternator
    Short Shifter 5spd
    Excedy Organic Stage 2 Racing Clutch
    Huge SunRoof Installed
    Drag DR-8 Black/Chrome 17x7 Rims
    VR4 Headlights & Taillights

You need a socket wrench, possibly a breaker bar, several sockets cuz there are different bolt sizxes (don't remember off the top of my head) and some scre drivers...phillips and flat. Just remove all hoses and bolts holding the engine in and lift it out. I hope you have a deadlifting champion or an engine hoist cuz the engine aint light. To answer your other question, the trans will bolt up either way, but if your car is 5 speed and so is your donar car I dont know why you are even worried about it...I myight have missed that part

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

There are several ways to pull the motor 1.pull just the motor out the top, 2.engine/tranny combo by lowering it 3. lifting combo out from top side. I would strongly suggest #2 or 3 for first timer. I have done all three and have learned that #2 can be the least frustrating and less likely to damage stuff. Disconnect wires, hoses, axles, front and rear mounts but leave the passenger and driver mounts in place until the loader is hooked up. Make sure you have a good selection of metric sockets, wrenches, 32mm socket for axles, ball joint separator and hammer to separate axles from trans.

^^see...like I said! LOL

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    ALL you need is a breaker bar, 10,12,two or more 14, 17 millimeter sockets, 2 ratchets and a blade to either cut wires or hoses.
    You are not going to need the hoses so just cut them as close as you can by the nipples.
    The engine can come out without removing the axles or transmission which makes you save time and energy.
    you have to remove the engine mounts but only when you are ready to either lift or drop.
    I like to start off by removing the hoses and wires, then go underneath and pull trans inspection plate to get to the Torque converter, flywheel bolts. Then from there i start unbolting the trans from the engine. Dont forget the last bolt is by the starter in the back and must be unbolted to remove engine from transmission. Also dont forget unbolting the downpipe can be a pain in the ass, make sure you have a can of PB blaster and a nice breaker or piece of pipe. Anyways once i start unbolting the bolts you can see the engine and trans slowly pull apart from each other. Now would be the right time to hook up the cherry picker and removing the mounts. Its usually just the mount thats holding the engine, so only one would need to be removed. slowly as you are pulling the engine up keep eye on the torque converter cuz it may fall out of the trans bell on your foot or whatever lolol. Everything else is self explanatory

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678