The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 6a12tt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 33

6a12tt

It has stock td025's would 2 tdo4's fit to the stock manifolds?
    I know I'd have to get a larger inter cooler to run more boost.

TGC Regular
    They won't bolt straight up to the manifolds no, you'll need to run adaptor plates for them... Also TD04's are a tad on the big side for a stock 6A12 in regards to airflow...

6a12tt

Throttle body upgrade with new airflow manifolds?

TGC Regular
    I was more thinking porting the heads etc...
    I mean it will work, but I would expect the life of the engine to be considerably shortened...

6a12tt

Mmm. So you think maybe just run higher boost on the td025's

Or is there another type that's slightly bigger?

TGC Regular
    Which TD025's are you running?
    there are 2 types, Blue tabs and normal ones...

6a12tt

If you know what the stock ones are on the 6a12tt or ill have to check.

TGC Regular
    There's 2 stock ones, the Blue tabs, which have a blue label on them and the normal ones which have a Black label on them... it's a tag riveted on the compressor housing....

The reason I ask is that there is a bit of a difference in the power you can gain from them

6a12tt

Black label one.

There's no kind of smaller turbo upgrades then like some kind of Garrett model? That's somewhere in between td025 and td04

TGC Regular
    There's the TD03's from the 6A13TT, but you could always go hybrid...

What are you actually trying to achieve with this engine?

6a12tt

Get about 300 hp without too much stress on motor. Just these particular turbos are about 120km old so they've seen better days.

Kind of just a cheap 'Ish' project car .

TGC Regular
    Then just refurbish them it'll be cheaer, you'll be able to get 300hp out of them...
    Bear in mind though that they will tap out at 15 PSI, they just cannot handle anything more than that, so you'd be best to run them at about 12-14 max...
    Also you'd be best to do a cam regrind and adjustable cam gears, along with an after market ECU and upgrade the injectors if you're chasing the 300hp mark...

Your engine is from an automatic VR-4, so it will be running at about 190-200hp right niow, the manual ones with the Blue tabs run 240hp... I managed to get my black tabs up to 260hp atw with just pushing the boost to 15PSI and running an after market ECU, however that was straining the small turbos a fair bit..

6a12tt

Where would this tab be located. Cause from what I can feel it'd be 200hp yeah. It feels the same as the fto 2l mivec that I had.

my car is manual, I couldnt seem to locate the blue tabs but they might be on the underside. to get that much hp did you have to install after market intercooler or any other mods? or did you just boost it straight from stock.
    Last edited by beno93; 11-22-2012 at 04:47 AM

TGC Regular
    They're just on the intake side of the turbo, by the sounds of it they are the black ones.

Yea, the engine will be from an auto though as they are usually easier to find... Before I got my vr4 they replaced the engine in it with one from an auto and it had the black tabs on it, I didn't know anything different at the time :/
    I was also running an evo intercooler as well, the stock one is just too small. I think it was just that and the exhaust..

6a12tt

Yeah that's why I was looking for even just a smaller upgrade to the turbos aswel to advance my knowledge on how it all works and how I can put it all together how about the Garrett t25's you find on the 300zx's they're bigger and can handle more psi??

TGC Regular
    Again, they're a 3L engine...

You have to look at yours as 2 1L 3cyl engines, which you don't want to stress too much...

Ideally, you could just opt to find some blue tabs and use them instead... They're good for a max of about 18psi (I think, I haven't tried them lol)
    Also depends on how much money you want to throw at it... And I take it the car is a normal galant with a vr4 engine swap yea? So its FWD ?

6a12tt

Yeah normal galant. 94 with the vr4 engine so fwd.
    alright so ill keep my eye out for blue tab td025's and in the mean time ill replace all my seals and gaskets and intercooler.

6a12tt

Would I need new exhaust manifolds to support the higher boost? Or are the stock ones ok?

TGC Regular
    If you're going to use the blue tabs, stock is fine... The manifolds have very little to do with the increase in boost pressure..

It should be fairly easy for you to get 300 then, as you won't have the added losses that I do from having an AWD trans

6a12tt

Is there a specific part number for the blue tabs. Td025 m ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast